Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 28 May 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2699968)   #1
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Isle of Man TT 2010

The two week festival that is the Isle of Man TT begins on Saturday with the opening practice sessions. The races on the Manx island are time trailed with riders setting off at intervals and racing against the clock.

This is the 91st running of what has become the most respected road race of them all. Taking place on closed roads throughout the island, the course measures 37.7 miles and is one of the greatest challenges any rider will ever face. The course runs from the capital Douglas westwards towards Peel before heading north to Ramsey and then heads back to Douglas once more. It is from Ramsey to Douglas that riders tackle what is simply one of the most spectacular stretches of road anywhere in the world-the mountain.

The Mountain circuit is an unbelievable challenge for any rider and one of the toughest circuits on the planet. It is not only the sheer length of the track that causes difficulty, there is changes in altitude to take into account; at its highest point riders are 1400 feet above sea level and reach speeds of upwards of 200 mph. The engine runs easier at this altitude and in the past two-stroke riders needed to change the engine mixture to account for the atmospheric changes. The main difficulty faced by riders is the street furniture such as signposts, telegraph poles, manhole covers, roadside curbs and any number of other obstacles. Even with all of these challenges the lap record is currently held by John McGuiness at an average speed of over 130 mph.

While the TT has maintained its position as the “road racing capital of the world” it lost its position as the British Grand Prix in the mid seventies as riders eventually tired of facing such immense dangers. 15 times world champion Giacomo Agostini declared in 1972 that he would never race on the island again after seeing numerous competitors killed riding at the track. This was to prove a death keel for the race as a full grand prix event but unbelievably the two week festival of speed is as big as ever.

The Irish have always gone well on the island and there are many riders who will look to emulate some of their forerunners as winners of a TT. The main interest surround three former winners of races on the island with Ryan Farquhar expected to challenge for honours on his Kawasaki. The 34 year old Dungannon man has been in sparkling form over the last year and will look to add to the two races wins on the island that he has already achieved. Last season he won an incredible 61 races but was unable to convert that form into success at the TT. His best results were 6th and 7th last year, but two years ago he showed his true colours with top sixes in all races. This year, riding for his own team, he expects to be at the front in all five races.

Adrian Archibald may be one of the elder statesmen of Irish road racing but the 40 year old has three wins on the mountain course and last year went faster than any Irishman in history lapping at 129 mph. He once more rides for his own team and while a win may be expecting too much from him, he will look to add to his previous haul of eight podiums.

Dunlop is a name that reverberates around the roads of the Isle of Man and this year there is expectancy of the Dunlop family adding more wins to their account. Michael and William, sons of fives time winner Robert, are expected to add yet more victories. The younger of the Ballymoney brothers, Michael, already has his name etched onto the winner’s trophies after winning a Supersport race last year. Amazingly this was the only race he finished as mechanical problems ended his other four races. Michael emerges fresh from a convincing North West 200 where he added impressive performances in the premier class of Superbikes to his already burgeoning reputation on the smaller classes of machinery.

William may be elder of the Dunlop brothers but the 24 year old has been left in the shadow cast by his sibling. Last year marked his return to the island after a two year absence and he defined it with consistent performances as he put his ever increasing confidence and experience to good use, finishing a career high ninth in the Supersport race. This year he will feel that if conditions are favourable a podium could be on the cards. With the family reputation forged by their father and uncle Joey the weight of expectation on their shoulders is immense, but both riders are growing in confidence and now are looked upon as true contenders in races due to their own talents.

Englishman John McGuiness has made the Mountain his own and will start the festival as favourite. Fresh from a win at the North West the Honda rider will be looking to add to his 15 TT wins as he chases down Joey Dunlop’s record of 26 victories. He is sure to be a contender but the expectation is that he will have a greater challenge than ever this season with the likes of local man Connor Cummins and past winners Ian Hutchinson and Bruce Anstey expected to compete at the forefront.

A small island in the Irish Sea is about to once again become the centre of the road racing universe and with the popularity of the event increasing every year there is a guarantee of one of greatest spectacles in sport producing yet another unforgettable festival.
Old 28 May 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2699984)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm looking forward to the wonderful HD coverage from the island. Stunning!

Nice write up frostie.
Old 28 May 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2700163)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm excited and looking forward to it.
Old 28 May 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2700166)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love the avatar mountainstar.
Old 29 May 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2700368)   #5
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great race. I was there in 85 and 88. Nothing like Brae hill. You're going over 150 and the road drops off, and you're airborne. Right hander at the bottom, so when you're down, you've got to break for the corner. Too bad it's so dangerous, and no way to fix it.

Was there for the 100th anniversary in 07. Ended up pushing the Hailwood bike around with Steve Wynne. (Everybody kept saying a ratty replica, and we kept telling them it wasn't a replica) Don't know if I'll go back again though.

Art
Old 2 Jun 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2703335)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Hutchinson is looking pretty solid so far. Oh, and I love TT pics.
Attached Thumbnails
hutchinson-practice 1.jpg  
Old 4 Jun 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2704726)   #7
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Remember 10-10ths IRC chatroom is always open. Linky top right.

If you can spare some bandwidth (it doesnt use much at all really) stick around and wait for someone else to join if noone is chatting.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2705011)   #8
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superbike TT delayed to 1230 local due to mist on the island. Coverage can be followed at TT Live Radio and don`t forget to visit our 10 Tenth Chatroom
Old 5 Jun 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2705148)   #9
Andy77
Veteran

Congrats to Ian Hutchinson for the Superbike TT victory and to Klaus "Klaffi" Klaffenböck / Dan Sayle for victory in Sidecar Race 1.

Two premieres for the IOM TT 2010 kick off. I am really happy for Klaffi
Old 5 Jun 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2705232)   #10
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
I am really happy for Klaffi
Me too, that Reeves guy didn't do to bad either
Old 6 Jun 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2705681)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Nice to see a new face on top of the Superbike podium!
Old 9 Jun 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2707213)   #12
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love the Man TT. Amazing track, so much scenery aswell as all the dangers of the tight road. The speeds are incedible, I love the onboards.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2708814)   #13
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stayed up last night to listen to the TT broadcast, Klaffi / Sayle doing the double, and Hutchy doing the quadruple. I find it amazing that all the races, both sidecar and solo are going down to such small gaps, only the Superbike TT has had a gap of more than 3 seconds. Also Honda has won every one.

Well done Klaffi and Sayle. Well done Hutchy let's see if it can be five.

Jeff

Old 11 Jun 2010, 08:01 (Ref:2708925)   #14
Andy77
Veteran

Kiwi Paul "Dobsie" Dobbs died in an incident at Ballagarey in the Supersport Race 2
LINK

My deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and the two kids.
Rest in Peace Dobsie
Old 11 Jun 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2709014)   #15
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly don't know if I love this event or hate it.
Condolences to Paul's family.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2709025)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
RIP

I caught some footage of this the other day and it's always as breath-taking as the last. Just an incredible track, and all I could keep saying to my friends was "How is this still allowed...?!"

My question is always unfortunately validated.

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2709033)   #17
Andy77
Veteran

More devastating news from the Isle. The ACU released another death note during the last hour.

During Supersport Race 2 the Austrian rider Martin Loicht was killed in an incident at Quarry Bends

LINK

My deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and family.

Rest in Peace Martin Loicht
Old 11 Jun 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2709038)   #18
Andy77
Veteran

Senior TT to start in about 13 minutes time.
Let`s see if Hutchy can take the ultimate crown
Old 11 Jun 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2709068)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Anywhere I can stream this?

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2709105)   #20
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Senior has been red flagged due to a bike on fire in a hedge at Glen Vine. The fire engine needed to enter the track.

Jeff

Old 11 Jun 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2709206)   #21
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Toby Moody on Twitter .....

"Wooooooo.... Guy Martin had a biggy on the IOM TT. Chest injuries - been helicoptered off."

Not a good day.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2709242)   #22
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Guy Martin has bruised lungs and minor spinal fractures, expected ti be in hospital for a week. Thank god for chest and back protectors!
Conor Cummins has leg and arm injuries
Ian Hutshison just won the senior!!! 5 / 5!! Unbelievable!!
Old 11 Jun 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2709286)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Man, Hutchy had an amazing week! Funny how this race tends to award the guys that are in the zone.

I am glad Guy Martin and Conor Cummins were not more seriously injurred. Heal up quickly lads!

Very sad for the riders that were lost, and for their families. And I do understand why some people don't like this event. The appropriate steps must always be taken to protect the spectators. But I firmly believe that it's not right to stop people from doing what they love to do, despite the risks. As long as there are riders that are willing to take on the TT course, then let them race. RIP to the fallen heros this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Hutchinson.jpg   Cummins.jpg   Dunlop.jpg  

Martin.jpg   McGuinness.jpg  

Last edited by jhansen; 11 Jun 2010 at 18:07.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 23:30 (Ref:2709522)   #24
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done ITV4 for completely ignoring the 2nd death, they didn't even mention him. you bunch of inconsiderate, heartless *******s.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2709525)   #25
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
darn tricky topic for me there J. A small part of me agrees with you, but a bigger part really does look at it from the pt of view of why defend it with the free will/ tradition angle, when with other things such as seat belts or whatever have improved the safety of things that were completely accepted in the past....
I believe I have mentioned in the past that I find it hard to watch the on-boards, makes my palms sweat. I don't think even when I was 20 I would have had the gumption to ride fast on the TT.

Oh well, it is what it is and given the fatalities, I guess the only thing to say is to agree with the "raising of a glass" to them.

Last edited by djb; 11 Jun 2010 at 23:48.