Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 Apr 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3398961)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
4th caution; I wonder how many more we will see?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3398966)   #27
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Power lost ground at that pit sequence.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3398974)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to RH-R on Barber back to backs; a bit lucky with Power's off but that's racing.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3398981)   #29
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Tough accident with Aleshin. Good job from Pageneud. Montoya an OK turn of speed but inconsistent. Well done to HRH.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3398987)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Race result:

Pos Driver Team/Engine Time/Gap
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Honda
2. Marco Andretti Andretti/Honda +1.0364s
3. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Chevy +1.4286s
4. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda +2.4350s
5. Will Power Penske/Chevy +3.1559s
6. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda +3.7009s
7. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Honda +4.6538s
8. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda +5.3417s
9. Tony Kanaan Ganassi/Chevy +6.2513s
10. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Chevy +6.8371s
11. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi/Chevy +7.6182s
12. Jack Hawksworth Herta/Honda +8.5257s
13. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda +9.6750s
14. Mike Conway Carpenter/Chevy +10.1933s
15. Sebastien Bourdais KV/Chevy +11.3198s
16. Carlos Huertas Coyne/Honda +12.8894s
17. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda +13.7182s
18. Sebastian Saavedra KV/Chevy +14.0955s
19. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy +16.1476s
20. Oriol Servia Rahal/Honda +1 lap
21. Juan Pablo Montoya Penske/Chevy +1 lap
22. Mikhail Aleshin Schmidt/Honda +6 laps

Retirement/not classified
Carlos Munoz Andretti/Honda 40 laps.

Not a particularly good day for Roger Penske.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3399000)   #31
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some really great on-board camera shots for this race. Well done.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 01:31 (Ref:3399011)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Good fortune that the race was started. Also, 1:40 is plenty of racing for my tastes.

Hunter-Reay, Dixon, Pagenaud and Power did great as usual. It was nice to see Andretti in the front pack. Good job by Wilson and Ninchcliffe.

It was sad to see Montoya spin, he had a great first stint. Hélio's penalty was too harsh, wasn't it? Aleshin showed that he has serious racing skills.

I'm surprised that Bourdais couldn't get a top 10 again. His last one was in Houston 2013.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 01:41 (Ref:3399014)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I didn't think the race really got going. Obviously, the conditions didn't help and Barber's evidently a very tricky circuit under those sort of conditions.

Interesting nonetheless regarding tyre strategies.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 10:47 (Ref:3399143)   #34
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bourdais needs to stop making mistakes or getting involved in incidents. Good to see Marco get a good result, bout time he did it more regularly...
Old 28 Apr 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3399336)   #35
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That race went just like every race at Barber... tedious
Old 28 Apr 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3399399)   #36
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a decent race, although I only watched it this evening, couldn't be bothered to sit through hours of rain delays and adverts yesterday.

I agree that Bourdais has been a little underwhelming since his return - he's still got the speed, but I don't remember him crashing anywhere near as much in the past. Perhaps yesterday's race was due to the conditions, but the previous one was just bad.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 03:22 (Ref:3399477)   #37
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais looked convincing in Toronto last year (two podiums) and the year previous as well, where he was dinged off the track and into the tires at the last re-start (ping-pong as I recall... Conway dove on the inside of Kimball hitting him into Bourdais who was on the outside... meet the tires). Likely would have had a podium if not a win that year too.

But I generally agree - he just doesn't seem to get the deal closed these days does he?
Old 29 Apr 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3399646)   #38
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This race reminds one once again... if a car is stuck off track on a road course, why should the whole race stop under full yellow? This should be a game over for that particular car off track and that's that. The race should go on, but under local yellow. This is something IndyCar needs to learn from F1, where a disabled car is evacuated within minutes under local yellow, as long as its not on the track.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 13:40 (Ref:3399673)   #39
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
POV weekend report

I was there. The storms were intense, but fortunately brief.
They had everyone take shelter, either in a permanent building or a closed vehicle, as there was a lot of lightning in the area.
The tech/media building, shower facility, medical building and even the museum were opened up for fans to take shelter.

We were seated overlooking turn 2, and had onsite parking, since my father-in-law volunteered. The car was pretty close, so that's where we went to wait it out.

At some point, the rain was coming sideways due to high winds.
As soon as the lightning was out of the area, the circuit sent out equipment to start removing standing water at a few key spots, namely Turns 1, 9 and 12.

Here are my Google Photos galleries of the IndyCar/MRTI/PWC weekend at Barber, for anyone who is interested.

Friday: http://bit.ly/1ikLuNG
Saturday: http://bit.ly/1fHU6Jr
Sunday: http://bit.ly/1fHXqEv
Old 29 Apr 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3399691)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
I was there. The storms were intense, but fortunately brief.
They had everyone take shelter, either in a permanent building or a closed vehicle, as there was a lot of lightning in the area.
The tech/media building, shower facility, medical building and even the museum were opened up for fans to take shelter.

We were seated overlooking turn 2, and had onsite parking, since my father-in-law volunteered. The car was pretty close, so that's where we went to wait it out.

At some point, the rain was coming sideways due to high winds.
As soon as the lightning was out of the area, the circuit sent out equipment to start removing standing water at a few key spots, namely Turns 1, 9 and 12.

Here are my Google Photos galleries of the IndyCar/MRTI/PWC weekend at Barber, for anyone who is interested.

Friday: http://bit.ly/1ikLuNG
Saturday: http://bit.ly/1fHU6Jr
Sunday: http://bit.ly/1fHXqEv
Thanks for the post and photos. What was your opinion of the race?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3399973)   #41
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Thanks for the post and photos. What was your opinion of the race?
I didn't know what to expect from wet-weather racing at Barber, since there was no precedent for that with IndyCar.
Aside from Power's off and Saavedra's ill-fated tire strategy (I'm sure they were banking on more cautions in the not-quite-dry conditions), it was relatively normal and a good race, albeit not the best racing we've seen at Barber. I speculate that the transition from wet to dry conditions created a good deal of tentativeness in the drivers in order to preserve equipment and/or allow others to make their mistakes.

I didn't get to see the Bourdais incident other than a quick replay on a video board (the DVR didn't record any of the race). I understand the penalty call may have been unwarranted, as it could easily have been a racing incident.

I'm not a RHR fan, so I can't say I was pleased to see him get a win, but I will acknowledge that the had a fine drive and certainly deserves the W.