Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 18 Apr 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1280867)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
National A2 GP?

I just got this idea, how about setting up national A2 GP series to support A1GP?

A2 GP will pitch cities against cities within the same country and it will be used to groom drivers, teams and sponsors towards A1 GP.

I think we are fascinated by A1 GP because the teams have an identity that we can recognize with. If we do the same at the National level I think it will work too. If A1 GP is the World Cup then A2 GP will be like national leagues.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 04:52 (Ref:1280870)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the problem is that there's no gap for it.

If it was run as a winter series it would only work in countries which are in summer during the European winter.

And I don't see "cities" being able to raise the budget, given the relative lack of exposure it would have.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1280909)   #3
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Alan Partridge moved to Disney land?
"Idea for a programme Lyn. Andie MacDowell is trappen in the future and is being chased by a cyber punk from the past played by Rutger Hauer.....i'll call you back Lyn, i haven't thought it through."
Old 19 Apr 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1282019)   #4
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ-Turner
Has Alan Partridge moved to Disney land?
"Idea for a programme Lyn. Andie MacDowell is trappen in the future and is being chased by a cyber punk from the past played by Rutger Hauer.....i'll call you back Lyn, i haven't thought it through."
"Cooking in prison?"

"Knowing M.E, knowing you?"

"erm...Monkey tennis?"
Old 20 Apr 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1282668)   #5
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wouldn't dismiss the thought that easily. I don't think it's a dumb idea at all with tweaking...you never know what might turn up!! :wink:
Old 21 Apr 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1284175)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I think the problem is that there's no gap for it...
It could be a possibility in some of the countries, but not all. China might work. It might be able to have enough good weather and this could also help develop a new national series. There would be little competition with it.

It would be harder in, say, Australia. The summer is at the right time of year, but it already has a decent national scene so there would be more competition.

A1GP was developed to compliment and not compete, but in some circumstances this could be carried over to a national series.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Apr 2005 at 22:01.
Old 1 May 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1291259)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why leave it to United types though?
we have CHina, India, Pakistan, Australia, NewZealand- no Canada? No US?
um... why is it A1 UK? Not A1 Team Wales? or A1 teams Scotland? that would be worth watching, or even A1 California vs. A1 New England/ New York....
the UK and The US are too big for one entry and too intercompetitive.
A1 Japan where is it?as cool as this is the Premier 1 league and TRAC have tried and flopped, of course A1 has a better footing for schedule shouldn't it muster teams and interest where the rivalry would cause the best on traCK interest? A1 Queensland vs. A1 New South Wales, all this would be too cool....
i propose this over the A1gp2 idea of inter nation/territory/state races as there is when? time to hold these? as opposed to racing big dog teams already in a better team oriented racing series that whas been thought of (racing in winter?! who would have thought?!) i love it so far...but why go through the trouble with a new lola and engine when the Superfund was perfect and just fine for it (the concept i mean)?
again too many series....
Old 28 May 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1312878)   #8
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like you werent far off with the whole A1GP feeder series (see Autosport this week!)
Old 28 May 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1312935)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and this thread here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69481 !
Old 1 Jun 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1317121)   #10
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's the point of a national A2 series? So many countries have an F3 series now, and we do have the races in the likes of Macau etc. - feeder series are all over the place. I do understand that structures are needed - but if you start putting A2 grand prix everywhere as well then it might start flooding markets and grids will start getting thin.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1317154)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The idea has merits for those countries with no structure or equivelent single seater series already. That is the idea behind the new A3 series that is planned, they will only happen in countries where it is needed. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69481

That is the general philosophy behind the whole A1 concept. I is a series that generally happens in new markets. That might be new countries, the off season, a different concept behind the teams.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1317245)   #12
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That should be alright, then - I conceed that one! - needs to make it really clear tho that their intended markets are brand new ones - I'd sort of anticipated (and feared) them running a British A2/A3 series, which would split up grids in the likes of F3, FFord etc. But as long as they keep them seperate...
Old 1 Jun 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1317271)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, an extra series is not needed in Britain and for that very reason I don't think A3 would work in British GP either.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1317704)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Yes, an extra series is not needed in Britain and for that very reason I don't think A3 would work in British GP either.
I would argue that there is a need for a major British single seater series. F3,FR,FF,FBMW,FPA all training series for low powered cars. Not since the days of F5000/AuroraF1 have we had anything to attract the public. British F2/F3000 never properly promoted,and EuroBOSS cannot make up its mind
if it is historic racing for gentleman drivers or a serious event?
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1317777)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I do see the distinction there. Interesting.

It would be tricky. The best teams would surely go to a 'training' series themselves and EuroBoss is an indication that a stand alone series is difficult. What is A3 for? Well I guess it is a training series in a way. That is it's role in, say, South Africa. However this thread was perhaps more about setting up a stand alone national version of A1, perhaps with cities v. cities. Difficult to know what to define, or know. I still suspect it will be difficult because generally there are a lot of single seater categories around in the European markets.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1317827)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree. A3 could be more suitable to race in African and Asian grounds, more than European or American (here in South America the same SouthAm F3 struggles, and it's mainly Brazilian, and I'm ashamed to say that currently the top formula series in Argentina is... Formula Renault -the best one that doesn't use Tatuus chassis- ).
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1317838)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Small digression: perhaps in South America we need to re-create a formula series like we did in the 1980s, when we had our Formula 2 Codasur (shortlived extension of the Argentinean F2 that remained for four years -1983-86-): then there were good racing, sponsors and labour for local chassis builders, specially for the Argentinean constructor Berta.
F2 Codasur was replaced with SouthAmerican F3 in 1987, and these F2 cars still raced in the relived Argentiean F2 until 1993, replaced later with Formula Super Renault that used outdated SudAm F3 chassises until last year, now the series is stopped.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1318626)   #18
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even in Asia we have competition between Asian Formula Renault and Formula BMW Asia.

I don't understand why junior single seater racing series become continental in Asia while they are national in Europe and America? The cost just to transport the car in F BMW Asia is huge, since it races as far away as Bahrain, Kuala Lumpur and Korea.

I hope A3 will be a national series in China only and not bother about Asia. It can race in Beijing, Shanghai and Zhuhai. 4 rounds at each circuit and you have a 12 round series already. It will be really good if A3 can manufacture the car in China, too.