Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2004, 17:43 (Ref:959553)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best Laid Plans for Turkish Grand Prix

Ostensibly one of the reasons behind F1 taking the circus to Turkey was the lack of tobacco legislation there. Now even Turkey has signed the EU agreement to ban tobacco advertising and the F1 cars will not be allowed to run liveries with tobacco products names on them. They will able to run the colors, but not the names. How will this affect the promoter's future profits? Without tobacco advertising present on the cars and trackside will the promoter even make some money after he has already paid Bernie his $45 milion fee up front?
Never forget #99
Old 3 May 2004, 18:51 (Ref:959596)   #2
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie should wake up and let tobacco advertising go. As soon as thats gone there would be sponsors lining up. Coca-cola and McDonalds for a start.
Old 3 May 2004, 19:20 (Ref:959634)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi KC,

Its common knowledge that Turkey is aiming for the EU and this is the first real sign that they are moving that way!

The amount of tobacco advertising in Ankara is pretty minimal. They're more into designer clothes etc. So I'm not surprised.

Bernie will still get his new market but it will be aimed at cars and consumer goods. BTW. Cigarrettes cost the same here as in the UK so not cheap. Cars are even more here than the UK.
Old 3 May 2004, 20:31 (Ref:959728)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I just read a news article about Mark Webber being shown the site for the Turkish GP track.
He said that the series of left handers leading up to the back straight will be quite heavily banked!
After all those posts I made a month ago saying we need more banked corners my prayers have been answered!
I even posted about the new circuit saying that should make those left handers all banked, and it appears they are going to!
Just call me "Mystic Ben".
Old 3 May 2004, 20:52 (Ref:959747)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just wait till the FIA neuters the design. We can't have a challenging track these days can we?
Never forget #99
Old 4 May 2004, 06:50 (Ref:960032)   #6
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought we all saw a layout of the track, and it just looks pretty wierd.

It seems that most of the left hand corners have a long right hander before all of them.

I spose that is sort of unique in it's lack of contrast.
Old 4 May 2004, 07:24 (Ref:960052)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For a Ferrari fan, i must say i would not miss tobacco sponsors if they are banned. While i don't quite believe tobacco sponsors on cars are going to make millions of kids to start smoking, their departure does no harm to the sports, and may even bring sponsorship.

MacDonalds, Coca-Cola, Microsoft, and a huge chunk of good sponsors are waiting in the wings... F1 won't die because Tobacco-sponsors leave... there are still many other industries and riches which F1 had yet to tap into.

Good to Turkey for banning tobacco sponsors.. I'm really looking forward to a tobacco-free F1 season because at least then, i can easily purchase full-livery die-cast instead of patches of white or "be on edge"
Old 4 May 2004, 08:37 (Ref:960102)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Im in a rather odd position regarding tobacco sponsorship. I actually hate people smoking around me, I think its smelly, unhealthy and distgusting.
Yet I really like the tobacco sponsors on F1 cars, im not sure what it is I like about it, but I really like seeing the Malboro, Benson & Hedges etc on the cars.
Old 4 May 2004, 09:28 (Ref:960141)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think anyone would miss Tobbacco sponsorship on the side of the cars, they'd just get another sponsor & get on with life.
Old 4 May 2004, 10:12 (Ref:960176)   #10
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, a Tilke track that is actually good! Amazing...
Old 4 May 2004, 11:51 (Ref:960298)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take a little look back at the four races we've had so far before you fall into the popular slag-off-Tilke trap - the Tilke tracks=overtaking, "traditional" circuits, not. He's done some pretty good designs I'd say - Malaysia and Bahrain both produced good races, with the extra track width making a genuine difference.
Old 4 May 2004, 12:30 (Ref:960352)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
[Bi don't quite believe tobacco sponsors on cars are going to make millions of kids to start smoking,[/B]
If the sponsorship didn't make people start smoking, the fag companies wouldn't do it
Old 4 May 2004, 12:59 (Ref:960385)   #13
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sponsorship aim to change brands, not start smokers. That's what they have peer pressure for.
Old 4 May 2004, 16:06 (Ref:960515)   #14
Juicy Couture
Rookie

Juicy Couture should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have noticed that Turkish JLR Formula Renault driver Jason Tahinci has a Turkish GP thing as part of his livery.
Old 4 May 2004, 16:09 (Ref:960518)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 1200Datto27
Sponsorship aim to change brands, not start smokers. That's what they have peer pressure for.
That's what they say, but they'd rather get more smokers on board to get a bigger share of a bigger market
Old 5 May 2004, 10:20 (Ref:961301)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They have banned all advertising of smokes in Australia, except for a few international sporting events that most young females would not watch, but there are 25% more under20, female smokers than 10 years ago, when advertising was banned. There has also been massive media coverage about the dangers of smoking, but these have not worked.

btw, I cannot stand smokers and smoke (allergic), I have had to put out two roadside fires this summer due to lit butts being thrown out of cars, and cannot stand having to walk through their filty **** when I go anywhere.
Old 5 May 2004, 10:36 (Ref:961320)   #17
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be great to see a tobaco ban enforced and the companies replaced by others.However i guess we dont know the figures involved. Remembering that tobaco companies have very little opportunity to spend their advertising budget other than F1 we may be supprised how much money they contribute. Perhaps other commercial sponsors are not prepared to invest these sums.However a slimmer F1 as per 2008 discussions may no longer need these large sums of money, perhaps reducing their addiction to the tobaco sponsorship. Does Mr E have a plan ?.
Old 5 May 2004, 11:50 (Ref:961380)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Best Laid Plans for Turkish Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally posted by KC
Ostensibly one of the reasons behind F1 taking the circus to Turkey was the lack of tobacco legislation there. Now even Turkey has signed the EU agreement to ban tobacco advertising and the F1 cars will not be allowed to run liveries with tobacco products names on them. They will able to run the colors, but not the names. How will this affect the promoter's future profits? Without tobacco advertising present on the cars and trackside will the promoter even make some money after he has already paid Bernie his $45 milion fee up front?
As I understand it, the trackside advertising revenue doesn't go to the promoter, it goes to Paddy McNally's Allsport that has the contract for advertising at all the races and to run the paddock club.

How the promoters make money out of running races is a thorny issue, the plain fact is that a lot of races lose money and those that don't have some sort of government support, justified by the boost to the economy of the region or whatever.

This is a route the British government have not chosen to go down as far as Silverstone is concerned hence, it's predicament. As Motorsport News pointed out this week, any promoter seeking to run the 2005 British GP faces an immediate potential loss of £10M - the disparity between the cost of running the race and the gate money revenue.

Possibly the issue of promoters viablity will come into the mix during the 'new future' of F1, as it is BE maintains that 'other country's make it work', which is true, whilst places like Bahrain and China are happy to subsidise the race.

However, like many current facets of Formula One, it's a situation that is unlikely to last for ever.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 5 May 2004 at 11:51.
Old 5 May 2004, 13:00 (Ref:961449)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
If the sponsorship didn't make people start smoking, the fag companies wouldn't do it
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
That's what they say, but they'd rather get more smokers on board to get a bigger share of a bigger market
I smoke, my favourite team (Williams) advertise NiQuitin CQ, which is an "anti" cigarette product, so advertising doesn't always work does it.
Old 7 May 2004, 01:20 (Ref:963006)   #20
Mouser
Rookie

United States
Pomeroy,Ohio,USA
Mouser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I personally don't smoke,but if all these governments take
away tobacco advertising,then they should at least be
willing to help promote Formula One.
Old 7 May 2004, 01:50 (Ref:963020)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Juicy Couture
I have noticed that Turkish JLR Formula Renault driver Jason Tahinci has a Turkish GP thing as part of his livery.
that's because his dad IS the turkish motorsports federation or whatever they're called. he is a cheese of the highest order.

alex storckenfeldt also carries the advertisment although he drives for a different team. logic being the advert covers the top end of the frenault field as well i suppose.

i'm not entirely convinced yet that turkey having a gp is such a good idea. if only cause it means yet another faceless history-less race.
Old 7 May 2004, 02:20 (Ref:963039)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by bella

i'm not entirely convinced yet that turkey having a gp is such a good idea. if only cause it means yet another faceless history-less race.
With the exception of Monaco, Monza, Spa and Silverstone, doesn't every other race fall under that catergory? However, they all go to make up the "bigger picture", and deserve their place on the calender