Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 May 2004, 23:58 (Ref:962101)   #1
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubino in 2005?

All this talk about DC, Webber, JVc & JVd, JPM, Ralfi goning here & there...what about Rubino? What does 2005 hold for him now that he's loosing his grip on number 2 in the points standings & nowhere near MS in the "same" car.
Old 6 May 2004, 00:00 (Ref:962108)   #2
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I would edit it, but I kinda like the sound of goning.
Old 6 May 2004, 00:02 (Ref:962109)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well, he has a contract until 2006. Should Michael stay on in F1 next year, I'm sure that he (Michael) and the team will be more than happy to have Rubens there.

If Michael was to retire, Ferrari might be in a spot of trouble as Rubens doesn't seem strong enough to lead the team forward.
Old 6 May 2004, 01:05 (Ref:962134)   #4
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
anywhere but ferrari in 2005.....he has been lacklustre at best so far this year....
Old 6 May 2004, 01:49 (Ref:962148)   #5
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
he has been lacklustre at best so far this year
If 24 points is lacklustre,what is Kimi on 1 ?
Old 6 May 2004, 01:55 (Ref:962149)   #6
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine the mentality behind his role as support for ms may have a mellowing effect on his driving style. He could come to life if the role was changed. He is doing just as ferrari and ms wants.... if it aint broke
Old 6 May 2004, 02:02 (Ref:962154)   #7
jj2728
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
If 24 points is lacklustre,what is Kimi on 1 ?
kimi on 1 point is coping with a s***box of a car.......
Old 6 May 2004, 09:53 (Ref:962340)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Armco Bender, but you can't honestly compare Rubens with Kimi at this stage of the year. Relative to his teammate, Rubens is a long way off. I honestly cannot sy why. I thort he'd be a threat this season as 1)he has mastered left foot braking and 2)how close he was to Michael is Oz. Kimi, on the other hand, cannot be compared to DC as they havent yet had the cahnce to battle, I think its 2-2 in quali, the 2 to DC was Kimi at the back of the grid. But no doubt time will tell.

Back on topis, Rubens Ferrari seat is under threat IMO, especially if MS retires at the end of the season. Ferrari would want a Button/Massa to bring(keep) the team forward. Rubens, being a good no.2, will struggle with the pressure of being no.1. Button is used to it by now and he will (finally) have the experience in a top team to know how deal with the stresses etc... Renault may not eb out of the equation for Rubens, but Trulli seems pretty safe.
Old 6 May 2004, 10:07 (Ref:962345)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rubens defiatnely hasn't looked up to the job so far this season. In the last 3 races he has been nowhere compared to Mcihael, and is lucky that the car is a bigger step forward than Renault or Williams have made.

It could be that the car suits Michael more, maybe Michael's raised his game, or perhaps Rubens is struglging for motivation, consdiering that Michael is unlikely to retire anytime soon.

2005 would definately be a good time to bring a yougner driver into the team, so he can learn from Michael for a few years, but Ferrari's reputation as a great employer wouldn't be helped if they broke Rubens' contract, and he has had spells of comparatively lacklustre performances before and got through them.
Old 6 May 2004, 11:17 (Ref:962400)   #10
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Rubens defiatnely hasn't looked up to the job so far this season. In the last 3 races he has been nowhere compared to Mcihael, and is lucky that the car is a bigger step forward than Renault or Williams have made.

It could be that the car suits Michael more, maybe Michael's raised his game, or perhaps Rubens is struglging for motivation, consdiering that Michael is unlikely to retire anytime soon.

2005 would definately be a good time to bring a yougner driver into the team, so he can learn from Michael for a few years, but Ferrari's reputation as a great employer wouldn't be helped if they broke Rubens' contract, and he has had spells of comparatively lacklustre performances before and got through them.
That's a good point. Bring in a younger guy from the field or a hot rookie and have him learn from the "the man" for 2 years and see what he's got. However this is Ferrari and I don't see that happening. But who knows.

As for rubens, i think he's just gotten complacent in his role. Not that I blame him, I think being looked at as merely support to wrap up the constructors championship and having no shot at the drivers would make any driver complacent except DC. I would think if he was in a Williams, McLaren, Renault or BAR we would see a different Rubens. And for what anybody says...Rubens still has the ability to put in some very good exciting and fair racing. AKA going Wheel to Wheel last year w/ Kimi (maybe twice i think) last year.
Old 6 May 2004, 11:23 (Ref:962404)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Imo, the problem for Rubens with regards to the car is that Ferrari have gone back to a short wheel base which suits Michaels style more.

Last edited by Mr V; 6 May 2004 at 11:24.
Old 6 May 2004, 11:32 (Ref:962413)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure Rubens has 'mastered' left-foot braking. He has done it successfully (Japan 03), but that doesn't mean he is comforable or effective at it race to race...
Old 6 May 2004, 11:32 (Ref:962414)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure Rubens will improve as the season progresses, and I reckon he'll still be in a red car in 2005.
Old 6 May 2004, 12:32 (Ref:962487)   #14
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Rubens seat at ferrari is safe for next year. I think he plays a key role and is an important link to making the whole team work so well. Next season we will see some new driver line ups in other top teams and maybe will take sometime to bed in where as ferrari will be as strong as ever. At the end of the day i think it will be down to Rubens and waht he wants to do.
Old 8 May 2004, 22:18 (Ref:964611)   #15
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
anywhere but ferrari in 2005.....he has been lacklustre at best so far this year....
Being in a race for 2nd in the WDC in view of the performance of BAR and the fact that Williams have their game back????

I don't know what you're on, but I wouldn't call his performance lacklustre.

I think the F2004 is not as well suited to him as it is to Michael perhaps, but if you are basing it on his not qualifying with teammate on front row, watch a bit more of the season. Overall he has not been that far behind Michael in race speed.

I think Rubens will go where he wants in 2005.
Old 8 May 2004, 22:23 (Ref:964614)   #16
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Rubens took a while to get used to the last car - people were saying much the same as they are now when it was introduced - but by the end of the year he was excellent. Maybe he just needs time to adapt.
Old 9 May 2004, 02:29 (Ref:964722)   #17
jj2728
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1atic
Being in a race for 2nd in the WDC in view of the performance of BAR and the fact that Williams have their game back????
rubens is only in a race for second because of the car he is driving, i stand by it, he has been lacklustre....we'll see what he can do tomorrow.....
Old 9 May 2004, 03:20 (Ref:964737)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by santori
Remember Rubens took a while to get used to the last car - people were saying much the same as they are now when it was introduced - but by the end of the year he was excellent. Maybe he just needs time to adapt.
Alot of drivers need time to adapt, but they often don't get it.

At this stage of his career, Rubens should be able to adapt more quickly. He's no rookie. IMHO, if Michael is winning easily in his Ferrari, like he's been, than Rubens should be close behind in his, and even challenging him, much like he did in 02.

Danica Patrick