Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 Oct 2003, 15:01 (Ref:743109)   #1
JRmotorsport
Rookie

JRmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In car camera

what experience does anyone have of using a camera on board a ingle seater. Im looking to do it but dont have the equipment. Is it possible to buy smaller cameras that then connect to the main camcorder which can be securely fastened inside the car.?? Any advice appreciated.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 15:30 (Ref:743130)   #2
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
using tape will be useless through vibration. even if mounted on foam etc. digital (solid state memory) is the only way, but then its costs.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 16:29 (Ref:743165)   #3
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's rubbish - nearly all on-board cameras use tape, but you need a professional quality recorder to connect to the miniature camera.

The cheapest recorder I'd recommend would be the Sony DSR V10P, which will connect to most of the mini lipstick cameras on the market.

You can mount the camera pretty much anywhere - use velcro and plastic ties, and tape the cable to the outside of the monocoque. The recorder unit needs to be fixed at the front of the car, above the steering.

...Expect to pay about £5,000 for the camera and recorder.

Bear in mind that the regulations of most championships prohibit you from fitting your own camera during qualifying and races - so speak to the championship co-ordinator if that's your plan...they'll put you in touch with the championship's nominated TV company, who will be able to advise you, and may be able to supply and fit the equipment.

If you only want to film a private test session, it still might be worthwhile contacting the tv company for whichever championship it is...it may be cheaper to hire the camera than buy it.

Last edited by sceptic; 7 Oct 2003 at 16:33.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 21:32 (Ref:743374)   #4
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys i think we were talking everyday people costs not 5k! If you use a standard camcorder quality is pants hence a digital solution all this can be done 3 figures using a sony dv unit. the sony unit i get via my work for around 600 end user is more. mounting can be velcro if its a small ccd housing. Another way is using small plastic/rubber tubing maybe tie wrapped in its a crude way of how we did the F1 cameras in 1997.

Sceptic, chill out geezer. its my opinion deal with it.

JR I'd be happy to offer any advice and help test PM if you want.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 00:35 (Ref:743548)   #5
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are thing's called Mini DV's. Should cost less than £100. Uses a compact flash card (normally 128MB).

Cover it with aluminium heat tape (to protect from electromagnetic interference), and solder in the batteries (otherwise the connections get lost as you leave pit lane, and no more video!). Make sure you seal the unit with the tape, so that rushing air doesn't mess around with the microphone.

Strap it to the roll cage, using a little bit of padding foam. Click record and off you go.

It comes with a little USB cable and you can download the file straight to a computer. They only do 10fps, but it's good enough to have some fun.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 01:21 (Ref:743557)   #6
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ofcol.

It's no good buying a 5K recorder when your gonna connect it to a £50 lipstick cam, the cam will produce average images and the recorder won't improve them.

Just go get yourself a Digital 8 Walkman with a hi capacity battery, a lipstick cam from Maplin, a couple bits of aliminum, some rubber mounts, a small plastic box, a box of jubilee clips and a ton of tank tape and cable ties, the whole lot could be built for less than say £150 (excluding the recorder!) and produce fantastic pictures.

The hardest part it making the wiring loom and mounting plate for the recorder.

and yes, I do know what I'm talking about, private message me if you want more info.

MiniDV is a tape format used by Sony, the cams cost £600 upwards and won't work, you must split the recorder and cam from each other.

Last edited by Ian-S; 8 Oct 2003 at 01:24.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 01:27 (Ref:743559)   #7
Ian-S
Racer

Here's an example of the kind of pictures you can get, it is raining btw
Attached Thumbnails
jkfldg.jpg  
Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:46 (Ref:743782)   #8
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See the other thread in the racers forum for ways to mount it, Ive got a Sony someting or other (its small+digital) which I am going to use for the fesitval.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 09:15 (Ref:743812)   #9
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are racing at Brands there is a company you can hire all the kit from. They arrange all the licenses, installation etc etc....If memory serves me right about £150 a day?
Old 8 Oct 2003, 11:12 (Ref:743915)   #10
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Theres not much piont for me as I already hace the gear, But yes they're called race-TV, theres was an advert on the back of the final instructions for KOK today
Old 8 Oct 2003, 13:34 (Ref:744094)   #11
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian-S: I wasn't making things up. This is a camera I've seen in action. It cost next to nothing, and recorded straight onto a compact flash card. A few companies have taken a standard unit (which comes out of japan) and labelled it themselves. I've seen them in a few duty free shops too.

Apologies, they are actually caleld a "Pocket DV" (or "Pocket DV2" now).

Anyway, that one comes in at £75, and you'll need a 128MB (or preferably 256 or 512 for longer record times).

Then just read my instructions above (otherwise you'll scream and shout and throw it in the bin) and you're on your way! Invest in a PC flash card converter, and you can quickly save your videos straight to a lap top and go and do more laps.

I might mention that it's a unit about as big as a cigarette packet, and doesn't need to be split up at all.

Check out this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000075B7L/
Old 8 Oct 2003, 23:16 (Ref:744613)   #12
Ian-S
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Zuschauer
[B]Ian-S: I wasn't making things up. This is a camera I've seen in action. It cost next to nothing, and recorded straight onto a compact flash card. A few companies have taken a standard unit (which comes out of japan) and labelled it themselves. I've seen them in a few duty free shops too.

Apologies, they are actually caleld a "Pocket DV" (or "Pocket DV2" now).
Oh yea I know about the unit your talking about, their well used in America I'm told (MPAA don't like them - and we won't go down that discussion thread will we? )
Old 21 Oct 2003, 11:53 (Ref:758165)   #13
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any results from cameras for the weekend ,should be interesting from the kent final?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 12:13 (Ref:758191)   #14
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you mean not 10/10ths, more like 12/10ths !!!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 12:15 (Ref:758196)   #15
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
I didn't put ours on in the end, should be on for Walter HAys though.