Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2004, 13:20 (Ref:962524)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi

I must say, I am extremely impressed. When kimi took position of his Mclaren i knew he would be fast, but I had my doubts whether or not he earned the position. I wondered whether or not mika had TOO much say in the selection, now, after adoring Mika, I have learnt that Kimi is on par, or not a stronger LONG term investment for Mclaren. After this year, his maturity and loyalty have really impressed me, he is fast when his car is 'on', and when its not, he has behaved REASONABLY responsible, mature, and not once have I heard him 'whine' about his retirements. Furthermore his assets for PR (ok, his started off his career as a mumbling finnish boy) but now its difficult to walk down city streets without seeing posters, advertisements, and pictures of the man. He may not be as good in PR as DC, but his visual appearance is really helping the 'image' of F1.

Here comes my question; his loyalty through this tough time is 'apparently' EXTREMELY strong, and if he sticks with the team until next season, he would have shown some strong loyalty to the team. Will this hinder or help his career? Staying with McLaren for the entirety of his career could be a good or bad thing, IF this would to happen, where do you see him? Would this be better then ditching them?

Last edited by SetikX; 6 May 2004 at 13:24.
Old 6 May 2004, 13:27 (Ref:962527)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Kimi

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX
He may not be as good in PR as DC, but his visual appearance is really helping the 'image' of F1.

What?? Go an watch movies in theater if you care about visual appearanes. What matters most is driving.

Kimi is a good driver, very smooth. He is not aggressive and mature enough right now and one can understand because he is very young. A few more seasons at Mclaren would be good before he eventually moves to Ferrari.
Old 6 May 2004, 13:51 (Ref:962554)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Kimi

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
What?? Go an watch movies in theater if you care about visual appearanes. What matters most is driving.
I dont think he was saying that since Kimi looks good, that is all that matters, i think he is refering to the image improvement that may have happened. Imagine if instead of Kimi's face on a poster, there was Jos' or Heinz's face.

I don't think F1 has has as large a teenage to 25 year old girl fan club as it has now.
Old 6 May 2004, 13:58 (Ref:962563)   #4
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi is very aggressive, VERY aggressive. Go watch him at a track!!

Rally style.
Old 6 May 2004, 14:02 (Ref:962569)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Rally style.
I would suggest he stopped driving rally style, it obviously doesn't work.
Old 6 May 2004, 14:19 (Ref:962577)   #6
freud
Veteran

Assertiveness is to take on the proclaimed 'best' (Aka. the german f.)... Kimi seems not to be perturbed at all by MS dominance and is glad to finish second. What separated Damon, JV and Mika (3 who won titles against MS) were their willingness and aggression to go head to head against MS and win the title. So far I dont see that in Kimi. As I said he is very young and needs experience.
Old 6 May 2004, 14:30 (Ref:962590)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that is warranted at all, freud. If Kimi's car was on the same lap as Michael's we'd be seeing a different side to him. Unfortunately McLaren are letting themselves, Kimi and the sport in general down at the moment.
Old 6 May 2004, 15:00 (Ref:962613)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Kimi

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX
if he sticks with the team until next season, he would have shown some strong loyalty to the team. Will this hinder or help his career?
McLaren will always be one of the big boys. Ok, they are having an appaling season by their standards, but they have the recourses to come good again. Whats to say that Williams won't produce a championship winning car, neither will Renault and Ferrari will ultimatly drop the ball, Mclaren might have pulled it around enough to be back at the front. We won't know till it happens, But staying with a team like McLaren can't be a bad thing for Kimi.

Last edited by Mr V; 6 May 2004 at 15:00.
Old 6 May 2004, 15:35 (Ref:962639)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Kimi will "do a Mika", stay at McLaren his whole career.

If you stick with a good team in a bad spell, things tend to turn round and you eventually end up very successful.
Old 6 May 2004, 16:10 (Ref:962675)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Staying at Mclaren will no doubt mould him into a better driver. The whole team has depth and experience and to learn from basically the best people in their fields isn't going to hurt. And working now with a bad car is actually going to speed up the process of him learning the tricks of getting the most out of a disaster.

Pity for Kimi that he came to Mclaren when Mclaren are in a dip. It's frustrating yet thankfully we've not heard or seen much disturbing and destablising actions/comments from Kimi that most drivers can't help but complain. Focus on where the job is and do it..keep up Kimi.
Old 6 May 2004, 16:14 (Ref:962682)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think Kimi will "do a Mika", stay at McLaren his whole career.
... except that Mika used to driver for Lotus before McLaren.
Old 6 May 2004, 17:03 (Ref:962713)   #12
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Kimi

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
I still remember how amased I was once in ’93 when a new girlfriend of a frind of mine sad she watches F1, especially for Mika, ‘coz he is “so hot”???????? :confused: And you think it doesn’t matter? Would you also say that pit babes don’t matter?
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
So did Kimi – in Sauber.
Old 6 May 2004, 20:01 (Ref:962842)   #13
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing about Kimi..in all of his interviews I have read, he has been bang on. He hasn't bs'd about the car being fast in the offseason or made up any propaganda. He is a man of few words, but those words have been accurate. Now he is telling Mac fans to be patient and their is alot of work to do. Haug and Dennis seem to dance around questions all the time and give just a blanket statement.

I am impressed with the guy also.
Old 6 May 2004, 20:33 (Ref:962866)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Kimi drove for Sauber
Old 6 May 2004, 20:40 (Ref:962872)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by F1Pete
One thing about Kimi..in all of his interviews I have read, he has been bang on. He hasn't bs'd about the car being fast in the offseason or made up any propaganda. He is a man of few words, but those words have been accurate. Now he is telling Mac fans to be patient and their is alot of work to do.
I am impressed with the guy also.
Yes and this year he has not lashed out (except at the malaysian marshall) with the cars bad performance... he could easily have gone to the press and said that complained about the Mercedes debacle but has quietly gone on with his work... he has told MAC fans today to be patient and said that they will bouce back...
Old 6 May 2004, 21:32 (Ref:962909)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I know.

I meant that once joining McLaren he never went elsewhere.
Old 7 May 2004, 03:32 (Ref:963060)   #17
freud
Veteran

ljakse, , well a girl or a gay or anyone else has every right to be turned on by the looks of a Mr. Kimi! I do not mind that at all, as I firmly believe in freedom of thought!

Hence I will just keep to myself... I dont get turned on by the 'looks' of an f1 driver! I watch it because of the thrills, the competiveness and the excitement the sport brings... I am sure you, Mr./Ms. setikX and all others as well.

I mean where are we taking this thread.. lets get back to Kimi. Imho he's a star and he's here to stay. He will definitely be champ. in future. It will just take some time before he's ready. I cant wait to see him head to head against JPM next year. Boy, next year would be a delight!

Last edited by freud; 7 May 2004 at 03:33.
Old 7 May 2004, 05:26 (Ref:963095)   #18
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the disadvantage of not being a girl or a gay...I can not enjoy what others could....'need some She drivers here...

Kimi's steps are very convincing and I concider him very lucky to land immediately on McLaren after a short Sauber drive and Mika's endorsement may have helped but I think the Mc people have seen he could be a world champ otherwise the endorsement could have done little or nothing.

Kimi's talent is still going to mature and he is in a perfect team who's giving psycological lessons at the moment ('hope it will not turn out to a drinking lesson) ......before giving him the championship lessons hopefuly next season.

Kimi is doin' fine and going smoothly to become a strong champ and the Mc is the best team to do it.
Old 8 May 2004, 06:32 (Ref:964023)   #19
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I originally posted this to ask - will kimi be at mclaren his whole career like Mika, or will he decide to jump boat?

I said that his 'image' was good, I am a straight male, and I tell ya- many a girl like his boyish charm

Anyway, the topic went a little off track haha.