Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2004, 19:54 (Ref:962840)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Adelaide 1994 and Jerez 1997 have been as hyped if...

...they were not title deciders? I don't think so. Many people think MS drove into DH on purpose in Adelaide 1994, but less than a year later at Silverstone 1995, the same thing happens again (MS and DH both going for the same piece of black stuff, MS ahead of DH, DH trying to pass MS) and DH gets the blame. Why? The first one was a WDC decider, the second one was not.

Last edited by Yoong Montoya; 6 May 2004 at 19:56.
Old 6 May 2004, 20:16 (Ref:962854)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about the majority of 1994 and the whole of the 1995 season as i didn't really bother to watch F1 that year because of the previous season.
But from what i have seen of footage of the incident in Adelaide, Damon gave him plenty of room and went with at least 75-80% of the car over the kerbs to avoid Michael.
It's so obvious that he turned in on Damon, steering problem or no steering problem, you'd have to be blind not to see.

Same goes for Jerez, but that one went off the scale for sheer stupidity and he (TGF) got what he deserved.
Jacques got what he deserved that year as well.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 6 May 2004 at 20:21.
Old 6 May 2004, 20:21 (Ref:962857)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the question here would be.... would Jerez 97 and Adelaide 94 be as hyped if MS was NOT involved in those incidences.... i think probably not..
Old 6 May 2004, 20:23 (Ref:962859)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't matter who it is, if everythings on the line then it doesn't matter if its Michael Schumacher or Billy-Joe The Slack Jawed Jokel.
Old 6 May 2004, 20:29 (Ref:962863)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
at Ascii Man

in answer to Yoong's original question... NO it would not have been as hyped because there have been a lot worse incidences of "cheating" than those two but since they involved a WDC there is always an added sort of hype.... again you could look at Senna/Prost 89 and 90... the biggest controversies in f1 but there have been a lot worse that havent got the hype or coverage....
Old 6 May 2004, 20:31 (Ref:962865)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
YM, you like to live dangerously don't you

I can see how this thread will turn out already
Old 6 May 2004, 20:33 (Ref:962867)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they hadn't been in Championship deciders ... they wouldn't have happened.
Old 6 May 2004, 20:34 (Ref:962869)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
If they hadn't been in Championship deciders ... they wouldn't have happened.
Silverstone 1995 wasn't a championship decider
Old 6 May 2004, 20:44 (Ref:962878)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who mentioned Silverstone ?!?!
Old 6 May 2004, 21:11 (Ref:962894)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Who mentioned Silverstone ?!?!
Wasn't me guv'nor... Honest!

And the guilty party is ......

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
less than a year later at Silverstone 1995,
Old 6 May 2004, 21:31 (Ref:962907)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
the question here would be.... would Jerez 97 and Adelaide 94 be as hyped if MS was NOT involved in those incidences.... i think probably not..
Yes they would.

It's those incidents that contribute towards the antipathy towards Schumacher.

He wasn't really disliked before Adelaide.
Old 6 May 2004, 22:59 (Ref:962969)   #12
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Yes they would.
granted, with michael schumacher there is no gray area...he is either liked or loathed.....but i have to give credit where credit is due...here he is approaching his 200th gp seemingly as strong as ever, well on his way to a 7TH world drivers championship and where are his 2 antagonists from those days?.....last pic i saw of dh he was doing his best george harrison impression and jv was, well.... where IS he now?......with ms, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.....and for that i do admire him.....now let the slinging begin......
Old 7 May 2004, 05:30 (Ref:963096)   #13
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, but the thing about 1994 is that MS got dq'd that year for some serious BULL. So I adelaide does not really bother me...

Jerez 1997 is a different story. There MS was just plain wrong.
Old 7 May 2004, 06:32 (Ref:963112)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Although as a whole, Michael deserved the 1994 WDC, when you take into account the race bans etc. The way he actually won it was wrong!
Old 7 May 2004, 06:38 (Ref:963115)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
at Ascii Man

in answer to Yoong's original question... NO it would not have been as hyped because there have been a lot worse incidences of "cheating" than those two but since they involved a WDC there is always an added sort of hype.... again you could look at Senna/Prost 89 and 90... the biggest controversies in f1 but there have been a lot worse that havent got the hype or coverage....
Spot on Ralfie!

IN particular, not only was Senna's move on Prost very unfair, I reckon it was premeditated, but also was really dangerous, cos' it could have caused a very hard accident to Prost.
But, you know, it was Senna, and almost nobody noticed.
Thus you're 100% right, the personality of who causes unfair accidents influences the general judgment on it.
Old 7 May 2004, 06:49 (Ref:963124)   #16
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Yes they would.

I have to Agree Adelaide 94 caught everyones attension and appeared dubious but (thanks to Barry Sheene) Damon Hill didn't kick up too much of a fuss about it so maybe it was just a mistake caused by an ill handling car.

Jerez 97 was far more blatant you could read his thought process from the in-car footage

It was this incident that told the world what he was willing to do to win.

But more importantly it then caused people to re-assess the 94 incident and back dated everyones opinion 3 years

But in answer to the original question No they wouldn't have attracted the same hype if they hadn't been title deciders because there would have been less at stake.
Old 7 May 2004, 07:11 (Ref:963136)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
respst Damon . you can tell his not from Columbia
forgot to answer the question .. No

Last edited by Dani Filth; 7 May 2004 at 07:13.

Ciao Marco
Old 7 May 2004, 08:01 (Ref:963172)   #18
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Would Adelaide 1994 and Jerez 1997 have been as hyped if...

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
...they were not title deciders? I don't think so. Many people think MS drove into DH on purpose in Adelaide 1994, but less than a year later at Silverstone 1995, the same thing happens again (MS and DH both going for the same piece of black stuff, MS ahead of DH, DH trying to pass MS) and DH gets the blame. Why? The first one was a WDC decider, the second one was not.
Not a chance they would have been hyped as much. It's more than blantantly obvious to anyone.

Adelaide 1994 was blantantly TGF's fault. He turned in on Hill. No argument.

Silverstone 1995 was Hill's fault, as he came from at least 5m behind TGF to try a silly move. Damon Hill got the blame because it was his fault!

And Jerez 1997 was TGF at his most stupid.

Last edited by DriverT; 7 May 2004 at 08:02.
Old 7 May 2004, 09:43 (Ref:963257)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that Schumacher would've tried either move if it wasn't a decider, it was a case of his win at any cost philosophy.
Old 7 May 2004, 10:43 (Ref:963310)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
granted, with michael schumacher there is no gray area...he is either liked or loathed.....but i have to give credit where credit is due...here he is approaching his 200th gp seemingly as strong as ever, well on his way to a 7TH world drivers championship and where are his 2 antagonists from those days?.....last pic i saw of dh he was doing his best george harrison impression and jv was, well.... where IS he now?......with ms, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.....and for that i do admire him.....now let the slinging begin......
You forgot Mika Hakkinen... he got 2 WDCs over MS to the one each for the other two.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 May 2004, 20:30 (Ref:963791)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89
I have to Agree Adelaide 94 caught everyones attension and appeared dubious but (thanks to Barry Sheene) Damon Hill didn't kick up too much of a fuss about it so maybe it was just a mistake caused by an ill handling car.

IIRC, Barry Sheene was heard in the background shouting "Tell them what really happened Damon" or words to that effect.
Old 7 May 2004, 23:09 (Ref:963898)   #22
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe, but the '94 incident one could almost put off to immaturity.

I wish F1 would return to Jerez. I like that circuit.