Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1265178)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CONFIRMED: Montoya out, de la Rosa in for Bahrain

McLaren have confirmed Juan Pablo Montoya will miss the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Pedro de La Rosa will race car number 10, Alex Wurz will be on Friday testing duty after the team modified the MP4/20 for him to fit.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1265181)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BBC Online have some comments from JPM... obviously, he's disappointed.

Last edited by garcon; 30 Mar 2005 at 12:08.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1265194)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given how hard it has been lately for a driver, even an experienced to step in and run at the sharp end, I'm not overly optimistic for PDLR. However, i've always thought he was pretty decent and I hope this shot in a fast car will earn him some points. Too bad for Wurz though; the first opportunity in 5 years to sub and he's not got the mileage in the MP4-20 to merit a race seat this weekend.

Montoya's shot at the WDC is seriously compromised as well.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1265197)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Big turnaround for PDLR, from 2nd test driver to getting a race in a McLaren, far and away the best F1 car he has ever raced.

I can't help feeling JPM missing a race sums up the 'rub of the green' McLaren have had recently.....

Last edited by Super Tourer; 30 Mar 2005 at 12:17.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1265223)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Very unfortunate... Lets hope that he isn't really going to miss 3 races, as some suggest might be the case.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1265254)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
De La Rosa had some good races in the Jag, but was always outpaced by Irvine.

I would much rather see Alex Wurz in the car.. i think he can do more for McLaren then De La Rosa.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1265260)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As EERO said, I think that's probably down to mileage in the new car... PdlR has the experience in the MP4-20, so Wurz misses out. It is bad luck for Wurz, though - he's certainly no worse a driver.

Last edited by garcon; 30 Mar 2005 at 13:19.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1265267)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depending on the recovery time JPM could miss San Marino as well, Wurz could get to race there.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1265274)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
De la Rosa wasn't constantly outpaced by Irvine, he outqualified him five races in a row in 2001 despite coming into the team late, and the two 2002 races in which Irv got big points (Australia and Monza) both saw de la Rosa have technical problems which running just as strongly, so I'm sure he'll do okay. He's used to the car and will have the full range of practice sessions, so his circusmtances will be differnet to Ant's in Malaysia.

As for Imola, that's rigth at the end of the originally-reported 3 week period JPM should rest the shoulder for. If it's marginal, I doubt they'll let him race, considering that an operation and massive layoff is a serious risk if he returns too soon, and he doesn't have a great record at Imola. How PdlR and Wurz do in Bahrain will obviously be a factor as well.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1265276)   #10
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
De La Rosa had some good races in the Jag, but was always outpaced by Irvine.
Are you sure you've got the right (Martinez) De La Rosa and Irvine?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1265284)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's hoping that Alex shows them what he's got. Good luck to PDLR, but it definitely should be Wurz in the race car.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1265339)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big chance for Pedro, let's hope he has the luck he lacked in 2002.
I agree Würz should probably have been the driver, but then again all test drivers deserve to have a race drive and they don't.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1265345)   #13
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pressure will be on Pedro to show what he can do. McLaren are building a 2005 car to fit Wurz so it may well be Wurz for the next race if JPM misses more than one (which seems quite possible).
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1265353)   #14
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Things can only get WURZ for McLaren with this situation...
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1265364)   #15
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably the last chance for PdlR to show up for a future (doubtful) race seat, but also for Wurz. If he does not impress with the MP4-20 even in friday (which De la Rosa has done already) he can consider his future options closed, I think...
Old 30 Mar 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1265370)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very disappointed for Montoya

Quote:
Montoya's shot at the WDC is seriously compromised as well.
Well if he's misses just the one race it might not be seriously compromised because it would just equate to a single retirement.

With this type of injury, does anyone have an idea as to whether he will probably be missing any more?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1265388)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
In a (very) twisted logic kind of way, I'd be happy if Kimi fails to score points at Bahrain. No because I don't want him to, but because the Raikkonen/Montoya battle is one of the most exciting prospects for this season, and I'd hate to think it was over before it started.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1265392)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Pedro de la Rosa finishes 2nd in Bahrain - with Kimi winning.

For the sake of a multiple-driver battle for the championship.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1265423)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
De la Rosa wasn't constantly outpaced by Irvine, he outqualified him five races in a row in 2001 despite coming into the team late
Comparing De La Rosa with a demotivated Irvine (who wasn't that good at the best of times) isn't the best way to go here

De La Rosa is a lovely, charming, chap - I just think that Alex Wurz is more naturally talented a driver - the fact that he is as tall as he is and reached F1 is a statement in itself.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1265503)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well montoya can bounce back from this, he is absolutely stunning in the maclaren, where as in the williams he was agood pilot- but he drove the williams, he is spectacular in that thing- the way he seems to 'wear' the mac as an extension of himself is so great to watch... and kimi- now is his chance to put some space between him and the Man in the other silver car- it will be a cracker season at MacMerc.
now how will this help ferrari? with a lesser macalrne for a race or two, will renault feel less pressure? or will HondaBAR rise up to the occasion- or will Trulli's great drive to the podium rise higher next time?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1265539)   #21
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully de la Rosa is able to make the most of this opportunity and pick up a strong points finish or better. Didn't he come close to making the podium at least once in 2000? (but for his Arrows breaking down)
Old 30 Mar 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1265587)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very disappointed for Alex Wurz... after all the years of testing it is a shame that he cant race.

As for Montoya..if it is only a race i dont think it will do his season that much of a harm.... it is equal to one retirment which the other challengers are bound to have sooner or later.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1265633)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i wonder if ron denis regrets his decision to get jpm a personal trainer? personally a fatter healthier jpm is definatly the way to go.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1265678)   #24
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad for JPM, but he is going to be a new daddy in the next week or two or three, so he will have another 'new baby' to hold.

I wish DLR well, but I think he'll struggle in Bahrain.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1265679)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JPM's some way ahead of Kimi in the championship right now, so unless Kimi makes the podium and/or JPM isn't back at Imola, he still has the lead on points in the McLaren battle (although the will be under pressure to genuinely out-perform his rival.

Wurz isn't much taller than Coulthard or Wilson, he's just of stockier build. While he's deinitely talented, modern-day F1 doesn't suit a man of his build, and who can blame Ron Dennis for not having compromised his car's design to suit a driver he never thought would be racing it. PdlR has just as much potential once you compare their results before and in F1.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 30 Mar 2005 at 21:08.

Tags
jpm