Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 3 Mar 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1535602)   #1
Dave_G
Racer

United States
Vermont, USA
Dave_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your first commission

There's a recent thread on biggest commissions, but I'm curious how pro photographers land their first commission. Speaking as strictly amateur hobbyist with a bit of talent (if I do say so myself), I'll admit to a tiny amount of jealousy when I see pros with their press passes walking around.

There are thousands of hackers like me. Not that I expect to ever get beyond this stage (I already have a full-time job that I like), but I just wonder how those of you who have managed to get someone to pay you for your work arranged it the first time.

I'm a new poster here, and it's way cool to see a forum devoted to motorsports photography.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 01:00 (Ref:1535827)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Through some good luck on my part really, got an exclusive shot, and it went from there. I still have a full time day job though!
Old 4 Mar 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1536167)   #3
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Through some initnitive on my part, althoguh I'm not actually getting paid of making any money from it yet.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1536218)   #4
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G
There's a recent thread on biggest commissions, but I'm curious how pro photographers land their first commission. Speaking as strictly amateur hobbyist with a bit of talent (if I do say so myself), I'll admit to a tiny amount of jealousy when I see pros with their press passes walking around.

There are thousands of hackers like me. Not that I expect to ever get beyond this stage (I already have a full-time job that I like), but I just wonder how those of you who have managed to get someone to pay you for your work arranged it the first time.

I'm a new poster here, and it's way cool to see a forum devoted to motorsports photography.
Speaking for myself I bugged the magazines until one finally gave in and used a couple of shots. Hopefully that will continue. I've also got a good relationship with a motoring club (which I belong to) and in return for providing photos at no charge to them for use in their magazine, they provide me with accreditation. I also managed to sell some work for use in advertising through being known to the club.

Like Mike, I also have a day job (fortunately).
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1537168)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I told you I'd have to kill you
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1537445)   #6
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a 17 year old I got an job as a junior photographic assistant, a few years later some friends got into motorsport,(Motorcycle Drag Racing) and I took pictures when possible. I met lots of racers, & sold a few pics. One racer started to write for a magazine, through him I got a letter from the magazine saying that they used my work, I got closer to the action and things progressed from there.

So my thanks to Terry Revill in support of my Drag racing era, Jim Edwards Jnr during my Clio Cup and BTCC era, and whole host of drivers who continue to support me with the MG Owners Club Magazine And finally to Phil Raby, former editor of MG World, who also backed me when I was following the MGs in the BTCC.

Kelvin
Old 7 Mar 2006, 15:36 (Ref:1539625)   #7
Dave_G
Racer

United States
Vermont, USA
Dave_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the responses, everyone. About as I had guessed: some parts initiative and hard work, some parts dumb luck, and some parts knowing the right people.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1539640)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a fair few people here have benefitted from volunteering their services to various websites. Its a good entry point especially if its one thats fairly authoritative on its subject (I wont mention names but ones that spring to mind involve sports cars and formula ford 1600's ). It'll get you seen by the drivers first and foremost, open doors accreditation wise (though I cant comment on how things work in the USA) and help you make contacts with people working in the inkies and thus open up potential earnings avenues