Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Mar 2016, 04:56 (Ref:3628267)   #3676
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Some poster on autosport forums says he overheard during Sebring that acura/honda/hpd is looking to enter lmp1. I don't recall hearing that. Anyone else?
Old 29 Mar 2016, 09:39 (Ref:3628323)   #3677
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Some poster on autosport forums says he overheard during Sebring that acura/honda/hpd is looking to enter lmp1. I don't recall hearing that. Anyone else?

I kind of doubt that. Honda is investing a lot of money into their F1 program. HPD don't seem to have the funds to run a P2 program.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 09:44 (Ref:3628326)   #3678
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

unlikely... the whole arx-04 mess has been created by the HPD decision to fold any lmp1 program.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3628404)   #3679
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe as a potential engine supplier for privateer P1s? (a la Nissan?)
Old 29 Mar 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3628565)   #3680
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like no Honda DPi until 2018.

HPD went to Dallara to do it and found out they are already working with GM(Cadillac).

So NSX GT3 in PWC and looking for teams to run it in IMSA GTD.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3628854)   #3681
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But if they are manufacturers they have to enter as LMP1 hybrid, isnĀ“t it?
Old 30 Mar 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3628856)   #3682
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HPD never enters anything on their own.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3631034)   #3683
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Here's the updated 04b running it's Sebring test with Shank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXjlAKkYioU
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3631036)   #3684
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What might have been had Wirth not messed up so badly.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3631039)   #3685
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Here's the updated 04b running it's Sebring test with Shank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXjlAKkYioU
Almost as sad sight as seeing today's LMP1s testing at Sebring, unable to race.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3631081)   #3686
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Any word on lap times?
Old 8 Apr 2016, 00:15 (Ref:3631085)   #3687
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's video I shot today from basically the same locations but more zoomed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ievzNK_0_g
Old 8 Apr 2016, 00:27 (Ref:3631087)   #3688
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Here's video I shot today from basically the same locations but more zoomed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ievzNK_0_g

Thanx!

L.P.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3631118)   #3689
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Any word on lap times?
Have to ask the uploader(s). I wish we knew.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 10:50 (Ref:3631163)   #3690
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The car was generally doing a few laps at a time before pitting. It was off track more than on in the short amount of time I was there and I was moving from corner to corner. I was able to time a couple laps with my wristwatch in the 1:54s but I wouldn't consider those times as useful information since I wasn't able to time the car more accurately or for many laps.

Last edited by Lanky Turtle; 8 Apr 2016 at 10:54. Reason: Typed the wrong number
Old 8 Apr 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3631171)   #3691
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
The car was generally doing a few laps at a time before pitting. It was off track more than on in the short amount of time I was there and I was moving from corner to corner. I was able to time a couple laps with my wristwatch in the 1:54s but I wouldn't consider those times as useful information since I wasn't able to time the car more accurately or for many laps.
Thanks!
Old 14 Apr 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3632718)   #3692
TF110
Veteran

United States
Racer.com has a little update on the arx-04 run by Shank. No laptimes, but very close to their Ligier.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3632726)   #3693
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Racer.com has a little update on the arx-04 run by Shank. No laptimes, but very close to their Ligier.
With the Ligier being restricted again maybe they should give the car a try. With the way IMSA's handling things, it can't be any slower.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3632737)   #3694
Deleted
Veteran

It's in HPD's interests to make their partner Shank say positive (whether true or not) things about the car they are still attempting to push to the market, so the comments have little value.

Anyways, I wouldn't think it to be completely impossible for there to be a headline like "MSR to trial-race HPD ARX-04 at Road America" and the team to keep the Onroak chassis on hold just for that one event. Per 'request' of HPD.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3632756)   #3695
TF110
Veteran

United States
There's no reason for them to push an agenda when there's no interest to date. If anything, they (shank) would look to running the car themselves.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3632778)   #3696
Deleted
Veteran

I'm not saying this overall scheme with the 04 makes logical sense anymore since the chassis is obviously (and very unfortunately as I still love the look and feel of this) doomed by the lamo regulations, and the mistakes that piled up last year. But if you're going to go ahead regardless, the only way to generate interest out of thin air is by showing the thing still exists and giving positives about it. Especially after that deal with the LMPC team dried up. And since HPD won't run it themselves, because they Scrooge McDucks, the only alternative is to have someone other do it. Of course MSR as their last remaining real partner in prototypes got the task, and will do again if the "need" arises. And they will say what HPD asks them to say. "If HPD wants us to do it we do it".

Last edited by Deleted; 14 Apr 2016 at 21:11.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3632892)   #3697
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do both HPD and SMP still push for their cars? Granted, SMP is far ahead, as they have 4 cars running this year, but they still dont have a single customer, they run all cars themselves, which HPD also could have had if they wanted to run the cars themselves. So from a customer perspective they are both in the same boat.
But whats the agenda here, why do they keep trying?
-Do they hope to attract customers in Asian LMS, which is the serie that will allow old LMP2 cars the longest? Problem with this is that when WEC, USCC and a year later ELMS no longer allow old cars there will he heaps of old Ligiers and Orecas on the market for cheap to be picked up for Asian LMS.
-Do they hope that either ACO or IMSA will finally budge and allow more constructors then the allocated 4? Much like LMP3 just recently got expanded?
-Do they hope that a team, either existing LMP2 or a new team looking to get into LMP racing, dont want to be a part of spec-LMP2 after 2017, and might consider HPD or SMP cars for privateer LMP1, and therefore its important to show that the chassies are good in LMP2 trim to have a solid foundation to build a LMP1 car from? I get the feeling Manor might be a team in this category?

Or are there any other reason why those two teams keep insisting on developing and puching for their cars, when there clearly, right at this moment atleast, is no way to make money out of those cars. I'm really struggling to see the logic behind this
Old 15 Apr 2016, 11:59 (Ref:3632909)   #3698
Deleted
Veteran

Quick, someone call Scotland Yard detectives to investigate!

The HPD business I don't understand at all really, but with SMP, they seem to have so much cash lying around everywhere - on top of the AF Corse connection - that they could probably organize series of their own and run all of these LMP2s there, along with GTE and GT3 Ferraris. The resources seem to edge those of the real powerhouses, ie Oreca and Onroak etc. Which makes not committing to LMP1 yet ever more stranger. If Colin Kolles can make the switch out of blue, why not these folk...

I don't think there's any chance of extra spot opening for the spec LMP2 slots, as they are not only greedy, but number was set to lower than LMP3 on purpose. Also in LMP3 Norma likely only got the 6th spot because existing 5th manufacturer (ADESS or Ginetta, pick either) had effectively disappeared from supporting the class. There are some Ginettas there now, but the "factory" isn't paying attention anymore, and ADESS is ???

Last edited by Deleted; 15 Apr 2016 at 12:06.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 19:05 (Ref:3633072)   #3699
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
HPD is under a very tight budget from American Honda(no help from parent company in Japan).So if they can sell or lease the ARX-04,it would really help with their cash flow.At the moment, it is just a reminder of a project disaster and wasted money sitting there in the shop for everybody can see.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3633114)   #3700
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Quick, someone call Scotland Yard detectives to investigate!

The HPD business I don't understand at all really, but with SMP, they seem to have so much cash lying around everywhere - on top of the AF Corse connection - that they could probably organize series of their own and run all of these LMP2s there, along with GTE and GT3 Ferraris. The resources seem to edge those of the real powerhouses, ie Oreca and Onroak etc. Which makes not committing to LMP1 yet ever more stranger. If Colin Kolles can make the switch out of blue, why not these folk...

I don't think there's any chance of extra spot opening for the spec LMP2 slots, as they are not only greedy, but number was set to lower than LMP3 on purpose. Also in LMP3 Norma likely only got the 6th spot because existing 5th manufacturer (ADESS or Ginetta, pick either) had effectively disappeared from supporting the class. There are some Ginettas there now, but the "factory" isn't paying attention anymore, and ADESS is ???
Yeah I agree with you, I fully expect SMP to be in LMP1-L next year, the money seem to be there, and the will to race their own car is clearly there (as they have stated several times).

Why Norma got the 6th LMP3 spot is also easy to see, as you say, but I still have the feeling that just maybe IMSA will allow HPD in with their own chassie... But if they do that, it will open a whole new can of worms...