Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Closed Thread

Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:45 (Ref:404753)   #51
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Yes, you can now run GPL in OpenGL. There is a new openGL download available (well, not so new now). I can't point my finger at it right now, as I'm at work, but if you go to the RSC forum and search under OpenGL, you'll find the thread in which the link to the rasterizer is to be found. If you can't find it, I'll identify it for you later, when I have a bit more time.
Cheers!

Thanks very much for your help! I've got it up and running, but I'm a little bit rusty. It's nice to be see-sawing at the wheel again though..

Now to just to go get these nice textures.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:18 (Ref:404805)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
Cheers!

Thanks very much for your help! I've got it up and running, but I'm a little bit rusty. It's nice to be see-sawing at the wheel again though..

Now to just to go get these nice textures.
Well done mate! That's the fantastic thing about GPL, not only is it the very best simulation you can buy (and ludicrously cheaply at that), there are 4 year's worth of add-ons to accumulate as well. Just make sure you get all the beautiful GPLEA cars, including the brand new BRM P83. You may not want to drive it much, but it looks fantastic!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 02:05 (Ref:405388)   #53
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little fun with the new BRM and photoshop at Monza
Attached Thumbnails
brmlotus-old2.jpg  
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Oct 2002, 12:23 (Ref:405681)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
A little fun with the new BRM and photoshop at Monza
That really is very good. Don't let anyone ever call GPL a game again!
Old 19 Oct 2002, 09:08 (Ref:407812)   #55
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
man, i HATE my PC. if i could get GPL ti look as god as some of these screenies, i would NEVER stop playing it! at least i get the sounds tho....vroom!
Old 24 Oct 2002, 11:27 (Ref:412030)   #56
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been wanting to post this one since this thread started...
The quality of the pic pretty bad for some reason, it looks a lot better in-game.

And yeah, the sign reads "Flugplatz" on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
flugplatz2.jpg  
Old 24 Oct 2002, 12:35 (Ref:412093)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Nothing wrong with that shot, Toth - very nice. Most of mine from there show my car either upside down or buried in the hedge.....
Old 24 Oct 2002, 13:14 (Ref:412139)   #58
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ought to show you the pic taken 3 seconds later...
Old 24 Oct 2002, 22:29 (Ref:412710)   #59
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn this game just looks better and better every time I see it... but I neither a) own it nor b) own a PC capable of running it I suspect...
Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:23 (Ref:413106)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Damn this game just looks better and better every time I see it... but I neither a) own it nor b) own a PC capable of running it I suspect...

Well, I don't know what spec your pc is, Mf, but it used to run surprisingly well on my old 333 Celeron with 16 Meg Voodoo and 128 meg of RAM.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:37 (Ref:413271)   #61
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Broadband users might want to check out the GPL Screenshot Slideshow at this site : http://magnust.d2g.com/

Some great pics.

Maxx
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:48 (Ref:413283)   #62
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
You might also be interested in these screenshots from the soon to be released "Le Mans 2 mod" for Nascar Heat :

Maxx
Old 25 Oct 2002, 14:49 (Ref:413286)   #63
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK

Old 25 Oct 2002, 15:07 (Ref:413302)   #64
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LM for NASCAR HEAT, Cool!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 25 Oct 2002, 22:44 (Ref:413703)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
LM for NASCAR HEAT, Cool!

Can someone tell me about NASCAR Heat? I've looked for it all over the place without success. Isn't there an add-on for Spirit of Speed (Heat) type cars?
Old 26 Oct 2002, 14:53 (Ref:414034)   #66
StuiE
Veteran

NASCAR Heat was released in September 2000 by Hasbro and is a pretty good game, its just that I have too much **** on my HD to run more 22 cars, so I havn't played it for a while. The best bits where the add-ons, like High Compression Motorsports (www.hcmotorsports.com) like the 2002 WC carset, and the Craftsman Truck Series set. The game runs OK on slower systems (I rekon a 1Ghz with a half decent grafix accelerator could run a full 43 car field) and has great grafhics and gameplay.
Spirit of Heat is an add on is based on Indy cars from the 30's (I think) but I havn't got it so I don't know what it's like.

I just saw a 2002 ETCC mod ! http://www.bhmotorsports.com/NH/downloads/21/3
Im gettin it!

05 - Peter Brock
Old 26 Oct 2002, 15:15 (Ref:414046)   #67
StuiE
Veteran

Just found Spirit of Heat...

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/17

05 - Peter Brock
Old 26 Oct 2002, 17:42 (Ref:414096)   #68
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Just got back after a hard days instructing at Mallory Park but will post some info on Nascar Heat tomorrow morning (UK)

Maxx
Old 26 Oct 2002, 19:00 (Ref:414115)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxxUK
Just got back after a hard days instructing at Mallory Park but will post some info on Nascar Heat tomorrow morning (UK)

Maxx

Thanks Maxx. I'd like to know where to get hold of it, as I understand the Spirit of Heat mod is way, way better than the rather poor Spirit of Speed.

By the way, here's my latest Cooper - shot before I added my name to it!
Attached Thumbnails
cooper2.jpg  
Old 27 Oct 2002, 11:49 (Ref:414629)   #70
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
OK, a bit of info on Nascar Heat and it's mods. I have no idea how good or bad Heat is as a Nascar Sim as I've never played that aspect of it. What I do know is that MGI (The developers) did something pretty unique and provided pretty much all of the CONSTANTS of the handling physics in a text file which could be amended by trusted parties (mod makers) to create a totally different handling vehicle.

Whilst thats not TOTALLY uniqiue it is much, much further than anyone else has gone and the underlying formulas that generate the physics from these constants are very good indeed.

It has taken a year or so for mod developers to really get the hang of producing realitic mods for Heat, many of the variables were obscure and we didn't have the real life data to feed in, other things are just things we've learnt DO various things and via trial and error we now (IMO) have been able to create some mods that are the most realistic simulations of vehicle handling we have available.

Thats includes GPL which I was very much a fan of, quite vocal about and quite adept at but there are some significant flaws in the GPL tire model which, as someone looking for the maximum realism, I got disillusioned with. It was in working with Heat that I realised there was a sim out there with a realistic tire model.

The phyics model is so flexible that amongst the dozens of mods that are out there we have 1930s GP Car (Spirit of Heat), Vintage Porsches (Porsche Vintage Heat), 1950s Pickup Trucks, Dirt Track Racers (Midgets/Sprint Cars/ UDTRA & UMP cars + more). UK F1/F2 Brisca Stock Cars, Formula Fords, Caterham 7s, Cart, LeMans, Truck Racing (and even Double Decker Buses), Baja Vehicles, BTCC/ETTC/DTM Saloons and many more. There has even been mods for Hydrofoils and Speedboats and someone was working on a Racing Lawnmower Mod!!

There are well over 30 mods around, some are not meant as true simulations more for fun. Others are perhaps not that realistic of what is being modeled. Others are extremely realistic simulations. Spirit of Heat was mentioned which is a simulation of 7 different 1930s GP cars (Auto-Union/Miller/Railton etc.). Of course, none of us has experience of driving these cars but the cars DO feel as most people would expect them to and they are based on quitte detailed real-life data.

As well as the huge amount of Mods available there are also dozens of add-on tracks. There have been dozens of short-course dirt and tarmac ovals produced, all based on real-world tracks and mainly for the Dirt type mods (although you can use ANY track with ANY mod - so you can drive double-decker buses around the Davenport Dirt Oval).

My area of interest is more in the circuit based mods although I have assisted with some of the Dirt Mods. Circuit and Road Courses are more complexed to produce but many have been converted from SCGT/F1-200x etc. The community is small however so there are not the number of tracks that have been produced for something like GPL. Here is a list of the Road Courses for Heat. Most can be found here http://mail2.teambattlezone.com/%7Elucky/files.html

A1R - A1 Ring
ARD - Aardvark (Fantasy)
ASS - Assen
BEC - Becanour
BRN - Brno
DON - Donington Park
FRA - France (Paul Ricard)
HOK - Hockenheim
IMO - Imola
IND - Indy Road Couse
JOH - Johor
LAG - Laguna Seca
LIM - Lime Rock
MON - Montreal
MOS - Mosport
MUG - Mugello
NUR - Nurburgring (2000)
POR - Portland
RAM - Road America
RAT - Road Atlanta
ROK - Rockingham UK
SAC - Sachsenring
SEA - Sears Point
SEB - Sebring
SIL - Silverstone (90s)
SPA - Spa Francorchamps
SUR - Surfers Paradise
WAT - Watkins Glen

The mods are a little tougher to find as they are spread out all over the place.

There are a few here :
http://thebigben.m4driving.sm/

Or you may find reference at the BlackHole Motorsports Site here http://www.bhmotorsports.com

Or you could look for info/ask on it's Nascar Heat forums http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/

The Speedsims site was a great resource for this sort of stuff but is down pending a refurb at the moment, worth a try in a week or two though. http://www.speedsims.com/

It is tough trying to track them all down though, and keep updated, perhaps one of the reasons why it's not as popular as it deserves to be.

Maxx
Old 27 Oct 2002, 13:21 (Ref:414668)   #71
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks a lot for the lowdown, Maxx. All I need now is to get my hands on the game!
Old 27 Oct 2002, 14:49 (Ref:414711)   #72
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

This is a thread I posted about 6-8 months ago, not sure if it is still available.

The briscaheat site has moved, I think to here :
http://www.briscaheat.co.uk/ although that link is not working at the moment either. I think it may be at http://briscaheat.m4driving.sm (although that not working for me) - I told you Heat was frustrating).

Maxx

[ OLD POST ]

2 places to get N.Heat in the UK.

Go to this site : http://www.briscaheat.racesim.net/index.htm
On the front page they have a link to a supplier in the UK, the
link spawns an email. I assume you just ask them and they
respond, don't know price though.

The other is here :
http://www.strategic-plus.co.uk/entrance.html

You need to load up their catalogue and click on Software-Games
and go to the "N" section. It's £29.99 there which is a bit steep
for a 2year old game but with over 20 mods available it's not a
bad buy.

You may also be lucky and spot a copy on the one of the auction
sites if your comfortable with using them.

Maxx
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:39 (Ref:415012)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks Maxx. Why is it so hard to find, I wonder - it's almost as if they're doing you a favour by selling you a copy!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:40 (Ref:415778)   #74
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
Is there any way you can get GPL to run in OpenGL?

Ever since I replaced my Voodoo3 card with a NVidia GeForce 2, I haven't been able to run it as it can't do 3dfx.

GPL is a great game and seeing this thread I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

Powersliding around Rouen is calling me!

I'm having exactly the same problems with my NVidia GeForce2 MX400...
So it can't do 3dfx??

Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:48 (Ref:415779)   #75
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
I'm having exactly the same problems with my NVidia GeForce2 MX400...
So it can't do 3dfx??

No, if you have a GeForce it can't run as a 3dfx, but you can run in openGL and most users now report a vastly better performance in openGL. You need to download the revised rasterizer. I'll find the link for you on RaceSimCentral.