Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:24 (Ref:644416)   #1
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This new structure thingy

What a waste of time.
Drivers/teams/Dads will still do what they want to do. This isn't football!
The total structure includes far more places than pro championships currently exist and everyone agrees there's too many championships.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:26 (Ref:646939)   #2
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right JR, what incentives exist to make drivers adhere to the structure? who decided and on what grounds that these were the best formulas? is it possible to start in any of them as a privateer.?
I somehow have the feeling that I have heard it all before.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:51 (Ref:646966)   #3
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the difference is that the categories will be the ONLY ones eligible to be called British Championships, and will carry the prestige that that offers.

So, sure, you can win the FFord 1600 Champion of the North championship, same as always, and that would have the honour and prestige it always had.

Or you can be the Formula Ford British Champion. If, as I understand, the TV/press coverage and promotion is likely to be good, then carrying the title of British Champion (is this currently bestowed by the BRDC?) will be an honour indeed, and should make more people pay attention - important people. For example, I would have thought it would almost certainly lead to a BRDC Rising Star award.

That's the idea of the structure, and it is recognised that not all classes will be filled. They want to encourage the best drivers in each category into these championships, so you get the best talent rising up, and the correct recognition.

Not saying it's perfect, but I guess some big brains have thought through several options, and this is a good start and in the right direction.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:22 (Ref:646987)   #4
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree and whilst I'm sure there'll be teething problems it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Re "who decided and on what grounds these wer the best formula", the MSA in consultation with manufacturers, teams, circuit owners et al.

Can drivers enter as privateers? Yes, if they have the money, but I suspect it's more likely to be exclusively teams.

What incentives exist to make drivers stick to the new structure? Very simple, if they want to become a British Champion and reap the profile benefits that follow, it's the only way to do so.

Personally, I think this is the first step to a two tier sport that comprises an amateur level for enthusiasts, young drivers and people with restricted budgets, and a professional level at the top end.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:58 (Ref:647031)   #5
Bob Pearson
Veteran

No 4, you must know the answer to something that has been bugging me for a while. Is it possible to buy your own Zip and run it as a priveteer?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:49 (Ref:647078)   #6
No 4
Veteran

Bob - this season no one appears to be operating independently of ZIP. However, last year Quantexe Racing and a guy Neil Key each ran two cars.

Bob - If I remember correctly the stipulation from ZIP was that cars outside their direct control must be part of a team, though this may have changed.

This season no one appears to be operating independently. However, last year Quantexe Racing and a guy Neil Key, each ran two cars.

With regard to money, I believe it is possible to either lease or buy, but again, this may have changed.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:50 (Ref:647080)   #7
No 4
Veteran

Bob - sorry about the repetition, Monday morning and my brain is clearly not yet up to speed!!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:15 (Ref:650776)   #8
Bob Pearson
Veteran

In a moment of naivety I actually believed that someone at the MSA was selecting championships to form this ladder on the basis that the cars and types of racing they offered would serve to teach the aspiring young F1 driver his trade.
Now I find out that the slots are sold to bidders, so we see that it is actually a commercial excercise and if it actually eases the way to the top for anyone it will have been sheer good fortune.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:26 (Ref:650793)   #9
ukracing
Racer

ukracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wot a load of ****!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:31 (Ref:650798)   #10
No 4
Veteran

Bob - why the question about ZIP. Are you thinking of getting involved?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 13:12 (Ref:650874)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like I started out. What a crock of sh*t!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 14:13 (Ref:650926)   #12
Bob Pearson
Veteran

No No 4, quite honestly they aren't our sort of car, we are very much pure slicks and wings. I am, however always interested in how yougsters can get into single seaters as you seem to be, and it was beginning to appear to me that with the introduction of the MSA ladder which is the topic of this thread there may be no way at all a privateer could do so. I felt it would be wrong to deliberately exclude anyone without sufficient money to run with a team. I can see that even if Zip don't sell cars to privateers there is still a slot for another championship at that level which I hope will allow privateers in.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 14:29 (Ref:650943)   #13
No 4
Veteran

Bob - given that the ZIP grids are running at around 11/12 cars and need to be bigger, if a privateer went along to Martin Hines and said they wanted to run for the rest of the season, I'd be very surprised if they he didn't allowed it!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:650946)   #14
No 4
Veteran

Without the literal!!

I'd be very surprised if he didn't allowed it!