Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:16 (Ref:663182)   #1
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baby Bertha

Gerry Marshall will be giving Baby Bertha a demostration run at the Formula Saloon's meeting at Brands on the 31st August.
The Formula Saloon Car Club's President will do 3 laps during the lunch break and then there will be an open pit lane walkabout where the Formula Saloons will be on display. Gerry will also be in the pit lane with Baby Bertha to sign autographs.
The Club is very greatful to Vauxhall and Gerry for agreeing to do this and it is hoped that there will be a good crowd to see Gerry's side ways action.
25 cars are expected for the Formula Saloons who were origionally down for just 1 race but have now been given 2 20 lap races.
If you aren't doing anything please come on down.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:24 (Ref:663204)   #2
ern
Rookie

ern should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will there be any TV coverage of the Formula Saloons at Brands,?, I remember seeing a Fastrax edition of the Formula Saloons a couple of years ago, much better racing than some of the c*!p shown on Sky currently.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:41 (Ref:663227)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant Garry - can't wait! That will bring back some memories. Pity he couldn't compete with it in your race?

There is no clashing BTCC or F3/GT meeting either so come on folks, let's go and say Hi and support the Formula Saloon boys. Many are regular 10/10ths posters.

A chance to see Super Tourers (many in original liveries) and big V8's on the best spectator circuit in the country.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:45 (Ref:663232)   #4
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are working on it but it normally costs between £4000-£5000 which we haven't managed to get so far.
I forgot to thank Cambridge Motorsport as well for providing labour to run Baby Bertha.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:05 (Ref:663243)   #5
ern
Rookie

ern should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a BRSCC or a BARC event?, as I cannot find this race date on either of their web sites?.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:16 (Ref:663250)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BARC
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:20 (Ref:663262)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Boss Formula was also down for the meeting but I believe they have cancelled. Garry?
Also racing: Kumho BMWs, BARC F.Renault, X Power Clubmans, Ginettas, Westfields.
Perhaps someone could post the timetable nearer the time?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:05 (Ref:663307)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Give Gerry my best. If you mention my name I'm sure he'll say "Who?"

Good to hear the old boy is working again though.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:23 (Ref:663323)   #9
Steve Wood
Racer

Steve Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea - think I'll go. Some of my Britcar pals are racing in the Kumho, and it's about time I caught up with Formula Saloons - haven't seen them since they were Thundersaloons.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 23:14 (Ref:663419)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Dave Brodie really only 38? :confused:
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:09 (Ref:663929)   #11
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
38, was nt he racing in the 70's, he must of started bloody young!

Actually saw Baby Bertha at Shelsey Walsh the other weekend, it was not best suited to the tight twisty hill, but now its demonstrating at Brands Hatch il definatly make the journey down. The car sounds like racing cars should sound and look with a Chevy V8 under the bonnet. + a 25 car Formula Saloon race is worth watching.
Is this event just a one day meeting or is qualifying on a separate day?
Old 17 Jul 2003, 17:29 (Ref:664138)   #12
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thought Baby Bertha had a Repco V8 .....
Old 17 Jul 2003, 20:23 (Ref:664307)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
yeah, she looked and sounded good, but was a bit out of her normal habitat, but Gerry pressed on well and it was a pleasure to get a blast from the past. Except I suddenly realised most of the marshals were too young to have seen her on track before.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 21:26 (Ref:664386)   #14
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somebody surely must have a piccy of Bertha in action, or better still, "Big Bertha"!!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 03:22 (Ref:664535)   #15
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 awesome cars looking cars Baby Bertha and Big Bertha. Is Big Bertha still alive or was it wrecked in a crash.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 11:01 (Ref:664761)   #16
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure the car now runs an ex f5000 chevy engine instead of the Repco V8, perhaps easier to maintain for its curerent owners.

I believe Vauxhall salvaged what they could of Big Bertha and put into Baby Bertha. I think they knew it wasnt going to be succesful enough with the Ventora so it was replaced by the Firenza - 40 wins from 42 races - i think they made the right decision!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 08:16 (Ref:666034)   #17
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Derek Johnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pic as requested:
Attached Images

Old 20 Jul 2003, 08:29 (Ref:666036)   #18
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Couple more pics on www.formulasaloons.com
For information: Big Bertha was destroyed after a brake failure crash at Silverstone in 1974. Baby Bertha was conceived from most of the mechanicals from Big Bertha which ran a 480bhp Holden V8. The power plant was badged as a Repco-Holden V8 5 ltr unit in Baby Bertha but I dont know if that is still original, I suspect it may be!
Dealer Team Vauxhall retired her after winning three consecutive championships for them 1975-6-7 and her final victory was in the hands of Gerry at Thruxton, 30th October 1977.
Hope that helps!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:08 (Ref:666344)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Big Bertha - The car that was destroyed by brake failure at Silverstone in 1974.
Gerry here in typical pose at Thruxton.
Attached Thumbnails
tx74-bigbertha2.jpg  
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:11 (Ref:666347)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Gerry won 18 of 20 races in the 1975 Tricentrol Super Saloon Championship. He also raced the car 'for fun' such as in this Brands Formula Libre race chasing a Formula Atlantic March and leading a 2 litre sports Lola.
Attached Thumbnails
bh75-libre-druids.jpg  
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:36 (Ref:666576)   #21
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Well done andrew, I must confes, I didnt have any pics of Big Bertha, so nice to see one of it!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 05:23 (Ref:666787)   #22
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents thanks for the updates on Big Bertha, I was not aware of what happened to it.
Mick

Last edited by mickj; 21 Jul 2003 at 05:24.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 21:05 (Ref:674698)   #23
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooh errr! Big dilemma now - Brands or 750 at Lydden - big decision!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 13:42 (Ref:675319)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I remember Gerry driving (and me spectating) baby Bertha at Brands Hatch. In those days he used to race against Nick Whiting (if the memory banks are working ok at my advanced years).

Did anyone notice Pete Stevens ex Bertec Carlton (Thundersaloon) on the static display at the GFOS?
Old 30 Jul 2003, 14:04 (Ref:675331)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Stephen - I remember too, he had some fantastic battles with Nick, but also against Tony Strawson, Norman Abbott, Mick Hill, Colin Hawker etc etc. Not always in 'Baby Bertha' though. He also had brilliant scraps against these guys using his DTV special saloon 2.3 Firenza 'The Old Nail'. He won 63 races with that car from 1972 to '76. And yes I also saw the Carlton at Goodwood.