Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Sep 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1702325)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions about the Group C

I've two questions about the former Group C.

1. I know that Group C cars were allowed to use ground effects. But in what way were the venturis restricted? As far as I'm told, flexibel skirts were banned and the front end of the undertray had to be flat.

2. What were the maximum dimensions allowed for the chassis and tyres?

I hope anyone could answer my questions, as I'm relatively new in this kind of motorracing.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1702420)   #2
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group C (world championship) was a fuel formula. You were restricted by way of the amount of fuel you could use in a race. In qualifying, some of these cars were produing huge amounts of horsespower (especially the Turbos) but had to trim the wick in the race in order to finish.

I think maximum width was two metres.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1702646)   #3
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
Group C (world championship) was a fuel formula. You were restricted by way of the amount of fuel you could use in a race. In qualifying, some of these cars were produing huge amounts of horsespower (especially the Turbos) but had to trim the wick in the race in order to finish.
OK, but there were no restrictions to the undertray apart from the ban on skirts?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1702777)   #4
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flat bottom under the cockpit area. Front 'bulkhead' to the rear bulkead. some cars ran strakes along the side edge of the cockpit area--presumably in an attempt to keep air flowing under the car. I don't remember skirts but you could run the car as low as you wanted.

'Front undertray'? Are you referring the the splitter?--or areas behind the splitter.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1702798)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A few cars had spats over the wheels to help too.

The rear underbody was fairly free, I think. Some cars had advantages over others. For instance the Flat 6 in the Porsche did not allow for as much of a venturi as the V engine cars. The Venturis on the Jaguars were huge, so big that they had no choice, but to run the suspension through it (which isn't ideal).

A general (not just Group C) history can be found on Mulsanne Mike's wesbite and is good for newbies: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/history.htm
He'll be the man to answer these queries too.