Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Nov 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1760301)   #1
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
terryobeirne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
contacts for several BTCC drivers 86-90

The drivers that I believe were involved with the TOMS Toyota Corolla AE82 FX-GT I am restoring were;
• Phil Dowsett, BTCC Class D winner 1989
• Tiff Needell, race it sporadically in 1988
• Chris Hodgetts, BTCC outright winner 1986,98

Can anyone put me in contact with any of these folk, or anyone that was in the TOMS organisation in those years??. Email, phone , address whatever-any leads might help .

In 1989 there were others of this make /model. any leads to their drivers might also help, some names I have found are:
Mark Goodard, Tony Dolley, Les Liddiard, Tony Crudgington,Geoff Kimber-Smith (his is probabaly the rear drive car).

many thanks in expectation
Old 7 Nov 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1760309)   #2
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Chris Hodgetts post sparodically on motorsportforums.com as rev.limit You might wish to try and contact him there?
Old 8 Nov 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1760687)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I don't know any of the guys personally but the following may kick start people into action for you.

Tony Crudgington pedals a Dolly in UK Post Historics, so some members are bound to know of contacts for him.

Tiff Needell does TV stuff and kind of guest drives in various sports and saloon cars so again someone will surely be in contact with him.

I think Tony Dolley raced in Modprods after his stint in the BTCC so members like Al Weyman or falcemob might have some ideas.

Haven't heard of or seen Mark Goddard's name for ages...

Come on folks help the man out!!
Old 8 Nov 2006, 14:58 (Ref:1760937)   #4
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Goddard runs Team Goddard in the Asian F3 Championship: you'll probably get contact details from asianf3.net

Tiff Needell is involved with Barwell Motorsport (GT team)

AFAIK Tony Dolley still races in the Castle Combe Saloon Championship: Combe should have his details

Geoff Kimber-Smith is father of Le Mans class winner Tom Kimber-Smith, so try Team LNT
Old 8 Nov 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1761170)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Tony has a motor company down in the West country (or had) trading under his name so should be easy enough to find. As I recollect he always raced Fwd Nova's and Corsa's in ModProds.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1773108)   #6
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
thanks guys. Chris Hodgetts has been in touch.
Phil Dowsett is the man I really need as its his 1989 winning car I have got. I'm chasing all the suggested leads.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1773255)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug
Mark Goddard runs Team Goddard in the Asian F3 Championship: you'll probably get contact details from asianf3.net

Tiff Needell is involved with Barwell Motorsport (GT team)

AFAIK Tony Dolley still races in the Castle Combe Saloon Championship: Combe should have his details

Geoff Kimber-Smith is father of Le Mans class winner Tom Kimber-Smith, so try Team LNT
Mark Goddard is indeed the guy behind www.asianf3.net
Chris Needell is one of the guys in charge at Barwell Motorsport - Tiff's brother.
barwellmotorsport.co.uk
Old 22 Jan 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1822089)   #8
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
thanks for help folk, still have not been able to contact Phil Dowsett thru any of these links. can anyone else help??
Old 23 Jan 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1822500)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne
thanks for help folk, still have not been able to contact Phil Dowsett thru any of these links. can anyone else help??
Ironically my avatar is the Alfa Phil pedalled in 1984! I'd like to know where he is too as i'd probably ask him to sign my original print!!

It's harder to track people down if they're not so active in the sport these days.

I was going to suggest someone like Andy Rouse or Terry Drury (this Alfa) who prepared cars that Phil drove in prodsaloons and touring cars IIRC.

His name cropped up as an 'absent apology' on an old BRDC meeting minutes agenda from 2005 when I scoured the web. Info a bit old but you could contact the BRDC office and chack if he's still a member and go from there?

Only other ideas would be journos who covered touring cars in the 80's who might have contact for him?

Last edited by chunterer; 23 Jan 2007 at 08:41.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1822593)   #10
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
I'll be happy for any lead that gives me info on my Corolla or Dowsett. if you know of people who worked on his cars, please let me know. Ive put up a separea post asking for infor on TOMS GB, as I also cant find anyone who worked with them. thanks