Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Nov 2007, 09:46 (Ref:2064200)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Holly Birkett, Silverstone, 27 October 2007

What a fun event this is. Full title, The Holly Birkett Handicap Relay Race, where there is more Kudos on winning the handicap that on scratch, organised and run by the 750MC. This year, as ever, a large and diverse grid of cars; up to 50 cars on the track at any one time (there were 50 teams!) many of them historic, so I make no apologies for including it here. The event itself is historic, too, this being the 58th running. I'm not going to give a blow by blow account; I wouldn't know how, and it would take forever so just some pics with short captions to give a flavour of this event which ran in reasonably good, but chilly, weather.

Where the name of the driver is not obvious, I have assumed that, for example, 19C is Andrew Potter (Morgan), since he is the third name listed in the programme for his team (ie A is the first, D is the 4th etc). It's not so much of a problem when the team is made up of different cars but some, obviously were all the same (eg the VTR Team were all Saxo VTRs). So ...... please correct me when you know that I am wrong!

The Start,

First row, 9B is a Caterham 7 (Simon Harris?) from the Gold Arts Team. They went onto win on scratch but were down in 8th on handicap. No 22C is Howard Payne's Mallock Mk 20, a member of the Hart Attacks (correct spelling!) who finished 3rd on scratch but well down in 16th on handicap:-

Second Row. 40E is Mark Abbott of the Team Clubsport team made up of all Radical Clubsports - 26th on scratch and last, 50th on handicap, so they probably had problems! 10B is Keith Dunn's Caterham Superlight, one of the 'Nearly Six Sevens' Team who finishe 2nd on scratch and 7th on handicap:-

Most of the rest of the grid from the just in view 3rd row back. Just look at the variety. Fantastic; only the purist should weep!:-

A closer look at the midfield and the marshals:-

They're off! Two truly historic cars cross the line for the first time. 5A is Nick Wilkins (XK120), a member of the Jagged Edge team. They finished only 44th on scratch but I'm guessing some good solid consistent lappery netted them 26th on handicap. 24A is the Frazer Nash of Chris Chilcott of the aptly named Joes Chain Gang team. They were last on scratch and 48th on handicap:-
Old 10 Nov 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2064301)   #2
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
You're right John. It's one of the best clubbie events on the calendar and the atmosphere and sportsmanship between the teams really has to be experienced - no appeals or protests there
I'm sure Holly Birkett would be very proud that the event still runs and retains its' unique flavour.
As I said in another thread, it's hoped to run it on the International circuit next year to allow even more teams to take part - it's always oversubscribed.
....and I just love the conversations with the handicapper about mean standard deviations!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2064343)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The International Circuit would be superb for this event (I'd like to see the Walter Hayes on it, too!), and think of the fun at Abbey! I take it that the handicappers are required a pass in 'A' level maths?

More pics to follow of course, but I'd better get the WHT thread started first before Mr Drabble starts nagging me again!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 14:25 (Ref:2064355)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I take it that the handicappers are required a pass in 'A' level maths?
I DID get 'A' level maths and he loses me! . ....and I'm waiting for Zef's comments about 'deviations' about which he seems to think I have some expert knowledge!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 15:33 (Ref:2064393)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So doe's Claire!

I alway's thought the "claimed" lap time's alway's made for interesting reading/working out.

Last edited by terence; 10 Nov 2007 at 15:35.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2064463)   #6
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
So doe's Claire!
No - she just has a mucky mind - like you!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 07:56 (Ref:2066276)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

The racing was already on when I took these. An indication of the activity, or not, around the pitlane garages!

One of the 'Production BMW1' team, this is 31D, the very smart 320i of Nigel Oliver Jones. Note the bespoke colour coded BMW badge, a nice touch! The team were 43rd on handicap, 46th in scratch:-

A member of 'The Roadrunners' John Waples awaits his turn in his 964:-

Sitting in a crowded garage, an Elan. The programme says it is a Lotus Elise so possibly a late substitution. Assuming the same driver, then 32C was driven by Brian Branson, another of 'The Roadrunners' team who finished an excellent 6th on handicap and 12th on scratch:-

A Frogeye hardtop is as a good a place as any to conduct your race strategy! The John Hopwood Sprite, one of the 'Supersprites 2007' Team, 34th on handicp, 33rd on scratch:-

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Nov 2007 at 08:00.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 09:11 (Ref:2069993)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
These were taken (I think!) sometime between the 2nd and 3rd hour, at Luffield.

Not deliberate, but Jaguars figure strongly in this batch. This is Robert Dewery's XJ6, one of the 'JEC Pirates'. The finished 19th on handicap and 28th on scratch:-

The Austin Healey 3000 of David Grace, a member of 'Healeysport.org'. They finished 35th on handicap and 24th on scratch:-

The TR7 V8 of Craig Jepson from the 'The Wonder Wedges' team (I 'Wonder' what TVR owners would think of that!). They finished 49th on handicap and 35th on scratch. On the outside, Stacy Vickers, who added his RX7 to a group of E30 M3s to form 'Toyo Tires Lunchtime Legends'. The team were 14th on handicap and 15th on scratch:-

The Porsche Paul of Anslett lifts a wheel on its way to helping 'Ecurie Porgander' lift 31st on handicap and 29th on scratch:-

A member of 'Ecurie XK', Graham Bull's Jaguar XK150. The team were 36th on handicap and 43rd on scratch:-

Another Jaguar! The XJS of the 'Scalded Cats' Team who finished 29th (H) and 40th (S). The driver is Andrew Harrison:-

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Nov 2007 at 09:17.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2070365)   #9
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The TR7 V8 of Craig Jepson from the 'The Wonder Wedges' team (I 'Wonder' what TVR owners would think of that!).
or Austin Princess owners!
Old 21 Nov 2007, 10:27 (Ref:2072353)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more!

Brian Watson's Rover Metro, a member of the 'RAFMSA Freaky Zebra' team, 17th on handicap, 45th in scratch!!!:-

One of these cars has been on steroids; another on a diet!

Kevin Hadfield's TR4, a member of the 'Sports Six Pack' They were 26th on handicap, and 36th on scratch:-

Colin Chapman's Fisher Fury from 'RGB West'. 27th (H), 8th (S):-

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Nov 2007 at 10:31.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 15:47 (Ref:2072556)   #11
Highside
Rookie

England
Woburn Sands
Highside should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John,

Don't suppose you got any photos of a Blue E30 M3 (#25 from the Toyo Tyres Lunchtime Legends) before I stuck the rod through the block?

Cheers

Rob
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:23 (Ref:2072764)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Rob, I'll have a look, but with nearly 300 cars appearing during the race I couldn't guarantee to get them all! Here's hoping!

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Dec 2007 at 10:14.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 00:44 (Ref:2073058)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
http://catmangler.smugmug.com/gallery/3723577#213669032
Have a look at image 69?
Sorry the qualities not so hot, I was very much in Happy Snap mode that day...
Though you did retire right in front of us! Sadly, the Beckett's fencing prevented any picture taking for about a hour and a half...
Old 23 Nov 2007, 18:49 (Ref:2074336)   #14
Highside
Rookie

England
Woburn Sands
Highside should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that, although you seem to have caught me wandering around miles off line...

As a matter of interest, did it look like a big blow up from outside the car? I figured it must have been as it got me a mention in Autosport...
Old 23 Nov 2007, 22:57 (Ref:2074450)   #15
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Not at the time from what we saw?
Then we saw cars falling off left, right, and centre!
Shortly followed by the safety car and cement crew in Orange...

We were in the cars parked on the outside of Beckett's, so couldn't see the left hander entry, though?
Old 24 Nov 2007, 21:10 (Ref:2074888)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I'm waiting for Zef's comments about 'deviations' about which he seems to think I have some expert knowledge!
sorry I'm late, deviants deviation, . . .strapped to the office chair

I have soft spot for this do, one of my favoured little GT's won it, and [shock horror] it ran a ford pre crossflow . . . . If I get my hands on one and the other loon I know who owns one finishes his, we could replicate a 40+ year old victoire in the same car!
Old 25 Nov 2007, 08:46 (Ref:2075060)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
sorry I'm late, deviants deviation, . . .strapped to the office chair

I have soft spot for this do, one of my favoured little GT's won it, and [shock horror] it ran a ford pre crossflow . . . . If I get my hands on one and the other loon I know who owns one finishes his, we could replicate a 40+ year old victoire in the same car!
Don't forget to knock some time off your "Best Lap Time at this Circuit".
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:41 (Ref:2090387)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more.

Doug Setters of the 'Skunk Racing' team, all of which were E30 BMWs. They finished 37th on handicap and 30th on scratch:-

Phil Champion, Frazer Nash, of 'Joes Chain Gang'. They finished 48th (H) and 50th (S):-

Paul Collins, Darvi Mk5, of the '750 Formula Fire Engines', 32nd (H) and 38th (S):-

The Austin Healey of Hugo Holland Bosworth, a member of team 'Healeysport.org' already featured in an earlier post:-

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Dec 2007 at 18:13.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 10:47 (Ref:2091846)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Last lot of pics from me! Apologies to Rob Payne but I haven't found a shot of your E30 which is decent enough to post here.

Robert Chambers in his Caterham R400, part of the 'Double Trouble' Team which finished 23rd on handicap but 4th overall on scratch:-

And I'd better include this one before I get into trouble! Tim Falce's D-type Replica, a member of the 'Grunties' team who finished 44th (H) and 23rd (S):-

Peter Bove's Darvi. A member of a team delighting in the name 'Old Farts on Speed', they finished a fine 4th on handicap and 27th on scratch:-

Nick Haryetts Caterham 7 from the 'Caterham and Eggs' team who finished 11th on handicap and 6th on scratch:-

And that's the lot from me. I note that this event hasn't received the number of views that others have, and I accept that it is not truly a 'Historic Racing Today' event. However, I posted my justification for its inclusion at the beginning of the thread and remain entirely unrepentant!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 10:58 (Ref:2091852)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
I note that this event hasn't received the number of views that others have, and I accept that it is not truly a 'Historic Racing Today' event. However, I posted my justification for its inclusion at the beginning of the thread and remain entirely unrepentant!
It's odd that it hasn't received as many views John. Perhaps the 'anything goes' nature of the event (and it's none the worse for that - in fact it's probably one of its' great strengths) may 'offend' some of the purists but I would contend that, after 50+ years, the Birkett is a truely historic event.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2091860)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Absolutely right, John, on all counts!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 11:55 (Ref:2091886)   #22
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely right, John, on all counts!
Great event and great reports, John. The event is truly historic and I look forward to next year's report.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:00 (Ref:2091892)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I'm sure that if they get it onto the International,it will become one of the years "Must-Do" events.
Perhaps a 10 Tenths team ??
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2091905)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, Terence, and a team of Feltham Astons like those shown in your avatar would be great. Just a shame that I can't get hold of one now; they seem to have increased in value by about £15 - £20k in the last 18 months! Oh, well, back to the drawing board!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:50 (Ref:2091927)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I take it you know that that one I was so fortunate to use has just gone for £86 k John,I think it has gone over-sea's . It's a pretty good avatar don't you think.?