Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2077989)   #76
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now here's a query - I don't know if anyone can answer -

Alan Putt is in the process of "doing" our FTP papers for our 18 - and the photo we supplied of the rear end has (unrebuilt) shockers which I think are black/black. We had to replace these with new shocks (black/yellow?) due to wheelbounce - should I do a new photo, since the scrut's at various circuits might take one look and say they are the wrong colour...?

Old 29 Nov 2007, 15:35 (Ref:2078000)   #77
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
Now here's a query - I don't know if anyone can answer -

Alan Putt is in the process of "doing" our FTP papers for our 18 - and the photo we supplied of the rear end has (unrebuilt) shockers which I think are black/black. We had to replace these with new shocks (black/yellow?) due to wheelbounce - should I do a new photo, since the scrut's at various circuits might take one look and say they are the wrong colour...?

If they are a different type (e.g. make/model) then it is a good idea - and there doesn't seem to be a price for such changes so it might be covered by the initial fee! If he hasn't finished the papers then yes do it.

The photo is meant to show the car in its current specification, and some scrutineers are more vigilant than others (I'm think of a German circuit near a castle here) in such details.

Unless you were to paint the new ones, a scrutineer is only likely to spot a really obvious change, like from black damper to yellow - I had an argument once about the rocker cover being different to that in the photo!
Old 29 Nov 2007, 18:42 (Ref:2078125)   #78
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocks are free within the remit that they are period specification-provided they meet that requirement thye should not be challenged as to their colour.
It does occur to me that FJ's biggest problem is its name-hardly a marketing mans dream in 2007
Old 29 Nov 2007, 19:09 (Ref:2078137)   #79
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Jeremy - I did pose the question of the name in the start to this thread - however that was the name that was chosen in period - so we're kind of stuck with it! Maybe it lost something in translation from the Italian (in Spain Cortina translates as curtain) - hardly "Go out and buy" branding, or perhaps time has given a different emphasis to the word "junior"?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 09:33 (Ref:2078539)   #80
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
VW Sharons didn't sell that well over here did they

I updated and resent Alan a phot when my car was inspected and approved, I think you'll find He's more than co-operative on the whole.

It does baffle me why people have to paint rudimentary components such lurid colours, thats why I keep black and silver on the shelf, not period correct lead based though !!!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2078605)   #81
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
VW Sharons didn't sell that well over here did they

I updated and resent Alan a phot when my car was inspected and approved, I think you'll find He's more than co-operative on the whole.

It does baffle me why people have to paint rudimentary components such lurid colours, thats why I keep black and silver on the shelf, not period correct lead based though !!!
Well I could have asked the manufacturer to repaint them - they are just standard yellow and black - as you say I guess they would have been black with grey springs
Old 30 Nov 2007, 11:54 (Ref:2078617)   #82
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
[quote=PeterMorley]
The photo is meant to show the car in its current specification, and some scrutineers are more vigilant than others (I'm think of a German circuit near a castle here) in such details.

quote]

The first time we took the Lotus 61 to Spa they said it couldn't race because the car in the photo was red, and we had had it resprayed green (I blamed the scrut for being colour-blind and we raced!)

A friend recently was refused to have his car even LOOKED at by a scrut at an international event at Spa because the decals on his car were from a previous round (of the same club!) - all the rest of us had the same ones, but a German-speaking co-driver listened-in to them and the scrut's were basically saying "here's another one - let's see what we can get him to change" - and I thought they were there to check for safety...
Old 30 Nov 2007, 11:55 (Ref:2078619)   #83
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Sorry - off topic!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2078622)   #84
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Any other race series/cars that are blighted by their name?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 20:57 (Ref:2078984)   #85
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
The foreign scruits will allways spend time looking at the engines as i am convinced thats what they can see easily on the papers. Thats the time when i make up a distraction of some kind.Shoosh.!
Old 1 Dec 2007, 08:11 (Ref:2079216)   #86
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
Any other race series/cars that are blighted by their name?
being of a Saarchastic nature I can think of loads !
Old 12 Dec 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2087100)   #87
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
FJ must be doing something correctly as it is the Featured make at next years Monterey Festival.Suggest you all start saving as it is a must do if you can get a start,The circuit is superb if only for Corkscrew
Old 12 Dec 2007, 15:22 (Ref:2087277)   #88
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
2008 is the 50th Anniversary of Formula Junior - there will be a Golden Anniversary World Series - a great feat of organisation. So quite a few pennies will be required. For ongoing information check out the FJ site (am I allowed to post this link?) www.formulajunior.com
Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2088211)   #89
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
marvellous, if only I could afford/fit one !

Monza in June will be a treat, I'm currently working on the management as CS is running U2TC there and it looks like a special, and quality race meeting.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:25 (Ref:2088564)   #90
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can you get the info on the Monza event?
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:45 (Ref:2088584)   #91
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
If they start making copies of FJ cars you will be in good shape Zef and you must be able to get in something like the Britannia.