Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2257734)   #1
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
graham allen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Insurance - shirley some mistake

Just asked for a quote on a race car for storage at home and on the trailer,
got turned down flat by the people who insure my road registered vintage of twice the value, and finally found one who wanted twice the premium and Fort Knox security. I don't even want race cover. Do people simply stump up??
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2257740)   #2
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Marcus Atkinson at Hagerty: we have 5 race cars and two classic road cars on one policy, total insured value around £100,000, limited (5000)milage on road cars, third P Fire & theft for race cars for all times EXCEPT when actually racing.So,when being towed, in the garage, someone else's garage etc. I just had my Lancia windscreen replaced on the policy, even tho it's not road registered.

I am not paid by Hagerty to say this, and we have just added a Series 1 E type for 5 drivers (brother, wife , father etc) for an additional £250-odd valued at £39,000.

I say it's worth asking -my brother has changed to them from a well-known 3-letter company at his recent renewal as he was saving £100.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2257754)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I found Hagerty to be expensive - for travel and storage I found Aon to be good and more importantly when I had to claim (incredibly for damage done at Pau by the recovery lorry on the way back to the paddock) they paid...

When it comes to on event cover there is only one player that is Egger Lawson or whatever they are called these days - cheap and if you claim they pay by return of post and are a delight to deal with... cannot fault them.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2257755)   #4
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Egger Lawson or whatever they are called these days .
Competition Car Insurance (NOttingham) - I used them a few years ago as well - pays to ring around!
Old 25 Jul 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2257766)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon they are superb value given that they pay on a pro forma without quibble whereas I looked at the Hagerty forms and they didn't look cheaper and looked like you had to get the car inspected before they would authorize repairs etc..... which mid season is not really practical. Maybe they have changed as to be fair this was last year
Old 25 Jul 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2257788)   #6
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
Thanks folks, this is very handy. I now have three quotes, and all seem to be based upon 1% of the stated car value so it looks like it will boil down to who is felt to give the best service. Aon want to be notified every time the car leaves the garage which may be testing given that I have variously forgotten my license, helmet, and number one son in the past.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2257793)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

I havent used Aon for a couple of years as I now keep the car with the prepper but my recollection is that they only want to know when its going away for any period of time but you should check.
They used to have a basic £25k package which included trailer and tools and increases on that were not extortionate. I seem to recall the Hagerty had restrictions - I cant remmeber exactly but I think a tow truck on the circuit wasn't covered but it was by Aon.
Given the truck in Pau casued about 4k of damage its something I now check!!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2258585)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I use Haggerty and frankly its cheap as chips.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2260153)   #9
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have nine cars covered by Hagerty including a Defender 110 and 996 GT3 - most regard the first as a commercial and the other as too modern. The premium is less than I used to pay for these alone, so the classic cover is effectively free. Limited mileage for road use and covered to and from race meetings. Total insured value is £170k for £1200. Good service so far too, although I have not had to claim.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2260183)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used Competition Car Insurance in the past and they were great. I don't really understand what happened but they stopped doing track cover earlier this year and I had letters from them saying Richard Egger had left and lots of other confusing stuff.

For Silverstone Classic I contacted Richard Egger Insurance to cover cars I was driving that are not mine. The old crew (or most/all) that I previously dealt with at Competition Car Insurance are now with Richard and they were first class.

www.richardeggerinsurance.co.uk
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2260191)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

that is weird as I had cover form CCI for the GP support race... however is Richard's new venture is as good as CCI then we have good competition
Old 30 Jul 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2260246)   #12
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was dealing with them in April and this is what they wrote:

Thank you for your valued enquiry with reference to race/testing cover.

At present we are unable to offer any cover on these types of events due to a large audit with our underwriters in January / February this year. This part of our scheme is being looked into further due to the high claims loss ratio over the last year, however it maybe something we look to bring back later on in the year.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2260253)   #13
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a policy with Richardson Hosken which I originally sourced through the 750MC. It covers my Cooper 500 for an agreed value, trailer, tools and spares for a premium of just over £150.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2261498)   #14
graham allen
Rookie

United Kingdom
kent
All very helpful, many thanks. I have spoken to Hagerty and gone for them for the moment as their premium was pretty good and the cover similar to much higher ones which often seem to be adapted from normal road car policies. At the current rate of progress it will definitely benefit more from the storage cover than transit...