Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jul 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2258225)   #1
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic on Motors TV

Anyone watching this? I've only caught the BRDC500 enduro and was mightily disappointed with the commentators they are using, they seem to know not much about either the cars or drivers. Ever heard of production notes or even just a race programme? What does anyone else think of it so far?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 06:24 (Ref:2258387)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best coverage of motorsport I have seen.Hardly left TV screen yesterday.Maybe I don't know much about the cars in the BRDC500 myself,but I don't recall any problem-I think the regular comentator may have been on a tea break -earlier we had Murray Walker!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 06:34 (Ref:2258389)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Best coverage of motorsport I have seen.Hardly left TV screen yesterday.Maybe I don't know much about the cars in the BRDC500 myself,but I don't recall any problem-I think the regular comentator may have been on a tea break -earlier we had Murray Walker!
seconded - was equally captivated and rather sad that I had to go out last night and miss the sport car race - off there shortly and after yesterday I cant wait
Old 27 Jul 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2258400)   #4
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
The guy doing the main commentary on the BRDC 500 was none other than Toby Moody, a VERY GOOD commentator on bikes, why on Earth he was chosen to talk over the 30's sportscars beats me.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2258423)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The only commentator that peed me off was the one on the Innes Ireland Trophy race, but that was mainly his boring voice.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2258429)   #6
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen it yet, but my wife said that that whilst the camera work was excellent the commentators were clueless during the race I was in (Woodcote Trophy).

Last edited by Mark Griffiths; 27 Jul 2008 at 08:44.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2258430)   #7
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Critcher
The guy doing the main commentary on the BRDC 500 was none other than Toby Moody, a VERY GOOD commentator on bikes, why on Earth he was chosen to talk over the 30's sportscars beats me.
The other was none other than his father, John Moody who is an excellent and knowledgeable car commentator. Toby would also make a brilliant F1 commentator as his knowlege of the sport is encyclopeadic. Toby was originally a 4 wheel commentator until he joined the GP circus.

HopefullyI will see a re run of the footage and see how they did.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2258442)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he did and does very well imho

Ciao Marco
Old 27 Jul 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2258498)   #9
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just watched the Woodcote Trophy on Sky+ and I thought the commentary was awful: inept, at times inarticulate and ill-informed. They didn't know who was who, which cars were which even when the numbers were clearly displayed and they seemed unable to keep up with the lead changes etc. They referred to having a timing screen and presumably they had a race card, so if they'd done a bit more homework (a five-minute chat with Duncan Wilshire would probably have sufficed) they would have been able to do a much better job.
4/10 from me.

8/10 for camera-work, though.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 17:58 (Ref:2258586)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Even my wife thought the commentary was rubbish and wants to know how much Stetton M paid them to talk about him all day.Bet he recorded it and will watch it for the next week.Probably been better if they had taken five mins to work out what the cars were in 500 and Woodcote races.
I don't realy care as my mates won the old crocks race and being old crocks themselves...Dam ,I forgot MG reads this and will report in!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2258593)   #11
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tbh i would rather have supposedly 'dodgy' commentary than not having the race on at all! Stop whinging :P

Well done Motors for showing it
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2258594)   #12
MarshalMoore
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
MarshalMoore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there. It was a great meet and I know I was captured by the cameras many times as being in assembly. Some great racing and I know the commentator you mean and callling 'excellent'. Yes he is excellent and such a nice guy!

Hope you guys enjoyed it!

Also, sometimes I believe that the actual Radio Silverstone commentry was added over the racing rather than the MotorsTV commentators. But the Silverstone commentry was not great. Unless it was Murray Walker!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2258598)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It would take ten mins with Duncan Wiltshire to get a few facts on both races.I assume they are being paid so are professionals,doen't seem like it to me as it took them 32 mins in one race to work out what type of car was in second place.
I really do not care weather its on or not as it has no direct benefit to the competitors and as far as whinging surly someone has to tell them the commentators were crap
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2258605)   #14
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
John, take a look at a thread on the Motors TV forum.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2258607)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Am I going to cause more trouble?On my way!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2258614)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Even most of those thought it dire and as on all the other Historic threads.
Leave that Forum to those involved.Still not got over the Golf Channel being closed
Old 27 Jul 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2258619)   #17
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Golf Channel? lol!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2258689)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Am I going to cause more trouble?On my way!

Old habbits?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2258719)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is very difficult to commentate on races were the leader is 5 secs a lap faster than everyone to be honest!!

The amount of coverage on offer was second to none really and perhaps a bit too much for such a minor event action wise.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 00:42 (Ref:2258747)   #20
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
'Is very difficult to commentate on races were the leader is 5 secs a lap faster than everyone to be honest!!'
Rubbish. If that's the case, the director should then decide to go and show stuff that is happening further down the field. They have timing screens to help them suss what is happening, they then find a convenient little dice and show that instead - and commentate on it!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2258791)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The blokes on Telly could not even identify the cars! 33 mins in and they did not know the make of leading car and all the rubbish on the great Martin in both 500 and Saturday evening Sports car race.The Monza that won the 500 was one of the most Historic cars at the meeting but does anyone know including the commentators.Where was Autosport Simon ,he could have done the job.The FN Special driven by Charlie was ideally suited by the slippery track and it made good television and a great display of driving but do any of the viewers know who Charlie is ,where he's from ,and what he does.
He was the star of the race and his overtaking skills are legendary in Old Crocks class and it would have been a lot closer to the winner if Patch had driven with him .He was taking between 4 and 8 sec a lap on the leader in his stint.What to do, as I don't suppose it will effect us really.
Top info of the day was the bloke who informed us that the tyres used are remolds .So much for Dunlop(the Majority) and Blockley making new tyres
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2258809)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the commentary in teh Gentleman Drivers race was lacking at times (a cursory look at the rules beforehand would have established that the owner had to do over 50%) but let us not complain as this was a great leap forward for historic racing.
Lets repalce your Golf Channel for a classic racing channel ;o)
by the way John my host yesterday showed me his latest project - and I think it might give your Talbot a run for its money when done...... he and his son have previous won championships in their Cobra, Turtle and XV so fingers crossed he can persuade his son to race it!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2258820)   #23
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Be a real one then!Talbots which are sports touring 4 seater cars are being pensioned off until next LMC when they race against against similar Historic cars so he's a bit late.We will be racing the pre war sports racing cars from Spa and only return to the pre war racing sports cars in UK if the rules are set and specials ditched.The Monza that won on Saturday is the benchmark
for pre war sports racing cars and is superb and is probably now about the same speed as our Alta or even quicker
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2258822)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

it will be next year at the earliest as Don is a perfectionist and they have two other projects to finish... and James needs a lot of persuading!!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2258841)   #25
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

James is a nice bloke.Why does Don want to push him into mixing with us?Or is it a bet.The American who was trying to work out how to use a hands devise in a pre war car would have made superb telly.What a to.... or he may have been a commentator?