Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jul 2001, 08:37 (Ref:120958)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever became of Peter Procter?

I was browsing through a 1971 Autosport magazine, and came across a startling image in an advertisement.

For those who are unfamiliar with the name, Peter Procter was one of the stalwarts of British club and national racing and rallying in the early 1960s. Regularly in the results, he was admired for a no-nonsense, car preserving style. This ended in 1966, when he was grievously burned in a crash at Goodwood.

The 1971 advert is a full-page of Peter, the extensive plastic-surgery he endured very evident, and he is lending his name to an advertisement for fire-retardent race clothing. It is a shocking, and blunt piece of publicity.

Now, I had always thought that Peter left the racing scene after his accident, and I was surprised to find the copy in the magazine, some five years after the event. Can anyone enlighten me on what Peter Procter did after his enforced retirement? I'd like to think that a man so resilient could have found a new outlet for his spirit.

Any news, anyone?
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:09 (Ref:127116)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet you thought everyone had forgotten this one Tim!!!

Did an MSN search with the correct spelling (Proctor) - it may be a remarkable co-incidence, but I came up with this link to the Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club:

http://www.sunbeamtiger.demon.co.uk/...IGERS2000e.htm

The site doesn't seem to work properly, but it's a start!!! Proctor was involved in the testing and development of the Tiger in the 60s, and I note Rosemary Smith is also among the photo subjects - she rallied them IIRC. So perhaps some of the guys on the Rallying Forum might be able to help??
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:24 (Ref:127124)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn - missed the edit deadline again!! Main link to that page:

http://www.sunbeamtiger.demon.co.uk/nnf2.htm

It seems both Peter and Rosemary were at a big Tiger celebration last year ....
Old 9 Sep 2002, 08:30 (Ref:376175)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow! More than a year after starting this thread, I get to meet the man himself!

Peter Procter was not only at the Goodwood Revival meeting, but he even donned the crash-helmet and went racing in a Le Mans Sunbeam Tiger coupe. And what a lovely chap to talk to, as well. Seemed genuinely surprised and gratified that he was of interest to people who could not even have been born when he was racing.

Now, anyone who's been away from the circuits for 36 years is entitled to be a little rusty, but Peter was certainly not letting the weeds grow under the Tiger, and that car was really flying through Fordwater/St Marys. Brilliant stuff.

Something I forgot to ask him about, though - the jury's still out on the spelling of his name. The Goodwood programme had it rendered both ways!
Old 3 Oct 2002, 19:14 (Ref:395125)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
There's a short feature on Peter in the November Classic & Sports Car, which also includes a picture of his Anglia on fire. And maybe I was wrong ... Simon Taylor spells it Procter.

Bob Marley
Old 3 Oct 2002, 19:33 (Ref:395135)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had the pleasure of meeting Peter about 10 years ago at Silverstone. I had done a painting for Jack Sears and delivered it to him at a VSCC event. Jack invited me for lunch in the BRDC clubhouse and I was introduced to many of my childhood heroes, Peter among them. A charming chap.
Those I remember meeting that day include John Rhodes, Peter Gaydon, John Watson, Jeff Uren and Whizzo Williams.
Peter has been a regular spectator at Silverstone over the years by all accounts due to his BRDC membership.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 12:08 (Ref:395679)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Was he at the Sunbeam Tiger race at Brands last weekend per chance?