Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2933278)   #376
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/6176-T...n-the-Sky.html

A blog post about this is on the Lotus Renault website. You don't need to register to comment so feel free to tell them what you think.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2933280)   #377
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love MB to death and so non PC.

Nothing has been said to just now when he said to DC " Who will be the drivers in the Job Centre queue before us next year " ......

Wonder if he will tackle Bernie on the Grid Walk tomorrow?

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 30 Jul 2011 at 12:25.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2933281)   #378
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB View Post

A blog post about this is on the Lotus Renault website. You don't need to register to comment so feel free to tell them what you think.
Thanks for that; a well written article.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2933286)   #379
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
No talk of slashing the price he charges. Eccelstone even gets more out of this deal than before. Instead of 40 million he gets 50 million with this dual deal with Sky/BBC. That's what has won over the teams. They get more money.

The idea is that highlights/delayed coverage on prime time gets in the casual viewer and keeps up the audience share. So they have that to tell the teams as well.

It's the dedicated fan that gets shafted big time as with all these things.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2933288)   #380
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB View Post

good point about it not being a listed event. Did anyone else point this out to their MP? I forgot to, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
No talk of slashing the price he charges. Eccelstone even gets more out of this deal than before. Instead of 40 million he gets 50 million with this dual deal with Sky/BBC. That's what has won over the teams. They get more money.

The idea is that highlights/delayed coverage on prime time gets in the casual viewer and keeps up the audience share. So they have that to tell the teams as well.

It's the dedicated fan that gets shafted big time as with all these things.
The beeb saves money as it needs to.
Sky get the coverage they want.
F1 gets more money overall.
It is still on FTA.
It gives the true fan what they love, a good shafting that they can talk about.

Bernie has still got it
Old 30 Jul 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2933296)   #381
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Some interestingly "understated" comments from the BBC team today, and a good choice of closing music to the Qualy programme
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2933317)   #382
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
A balanced view on this situation..

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...e-bbcsky-deal/
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2933327)   #383
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Some interestingly "understated" comments from the BBC team today, and a good choice of closing music to the Qualy programme
A reference to qualifying and the championship? Or the world's most significant and apt reference to the coverage staying on the BBC. I can't decide.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2933337)   #384
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

What you could do is watch it on the BBC next year. I know that might be a radical suggestion!
And what, exactly, is the point of watching half a season?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2933346)   #385
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
er, to see some F1 races? You can also watch the other half too if you like. Or, alternatively, you can cut off your nose to spite your F1 face.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2933351)   #386
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
And what, exactly, is the point of watching half a season?
Am I just missing the point here? I thought this whole situation concerning the split is because the BBC have decided that they need to save money and they went to speak to SKY..Not that Mr Ecclestone is or wants to take it away from them as the BBC are under contract to broadcast F1..

Correct me if I am wrong...
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2933362)   #387
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
er, to see some F1 races? You can also watch the other half too if you like. Or, alternatively, you can cut off your nose to spite your F1 face.
I'd rather follow the full F1 season, thanks. You don't switch off the 100m Olympic final half way through, do you? You stick with it. There's no way I'm watching some butchered highlights of the rest of the races that will never tell the story of the race either.

Maybe you're in a privileged position, and it seems like it from the way you are posting so haughtily, but I can't afford Sky and there'd be no way I'd support a corrupt organisation like that anyway. And there's no point following just half a season.

That's the last I'll say here because it seems you fail to understand why people are angry. Last I checked people were allowed an opinion, but obviously that's changed over night. Reminds me why I'm not having anything more to do with Formula One in general, or this ridiculous sub-forum.

Good riddance.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2933370)   #388
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either pay for it or avoid checking the Autosport website for a few hours after the race for the ones the BBC isn't showing. Can't imagine that will be difficult on a Sunday afternoon.

It's amazing how many people are willing to wash their hands of a sport they apparently love once they have to dip their hands in their pockets. I live in a small town and even that has at least one pub that will shows F1 live and I wouldn't be surprised once it goes to pay TV if more don't jump on the bandwagon and get a few disgruntled viewers through the doors by showing it.

I appreciate not everyone can afford a Sky Sports package but I can't afford a Corvette either... life's pleasures are rarely free.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2933381)   #389
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
A balanced view on this situation..

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...e-bbcsky-deal/
Get away with thee with thine balanced views!

We want wild conjecture and hysteria!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2933387)   #390
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Get away with thee with thine balanced views!

We want wild conjecture and hysteria!
Right you are then governor..
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2933391)   #391
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'd rather follow the full F1 season, thanks. You don't switch off the 100m Olympic final half way through, do you? You stick with it. There's no way I'm watching some butchered highlights of the rest of the races that will never tell the story of the race either.

Maybe you're in a privileged position, and it seems like it from the way you are posting so haughtily, but I can't afford Sky and there'd be no way I'd support a corrupt organisation like that anyway. And there's no point following just half a season.

That's the last I'll say here because it seems you fail to understand why people are angry. Last I checked people were allowed an opinion, but obviously that's changed over night. Reminds me why I'm not having anything more to do with Formula One in general, or this ridiculous sub-forum.

Good riddance.

Calm down dear.

By the way, is this dummy yours? I found it over in the corner.

Seriously, anybody who finds it within themselves to be truly angry about this really needs to reassess their life priorities. There's honestly far more important stuff out there.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2933392)   #392
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar View Post
Either pay for it or avoid checking the Autosport website for a few hours after the race for the ones the BBC isn't showing. Can't imagine that will be difficult on a Sunday afternoon.

It's amazing how many people are willing to wash their hands of a sport they apparently love once they have to dip their hands in their pockets. I live in a small town and even that has at least one pub that will shows F1 live and I wouldn't be surprised once it goes to pay TV if more don't jump on the bandwagon and get a few disgruntled viewers through the doors by showing it.

I appreciate not everyone can afford a Sky Sports package but I can't afford a Corvette either... life's pleasures are rarely free.
It's called a TV License. We already pay for it. A new sky package is £600+ for the F1, which will be at least £60 for each live race if that's all you're buying it for. Considering 3 hours at a cinema only costs you £10 including a bag of popcorn, I'd say £60 per race is a heck of a rip off.

Also your Corvette analogy doesn't really work. I think it's more akin to driving whatever car you have on the road, and pay road tax. Then that road tax gets privatized and you end up paying 6 times the amount in order to drive the same distance. After being priced off the road, would you just shrug it off and say "Oh well, life's pleasure's aren't free" then?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2933409)   #393
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
It's called a TV License. We already pay for it. A new sky package is £600+ for the F1, which will be at least £60 for each live race if that's all you're buying it for. Considering 3 hours at a cinema only costs you £10 including a bag of popcorn, I'd say £60 per race is a heck of a rip off.

Also your Corvette analogy doesn't really work. I think it's more akin to driving whatever car you have on the road, and pay road tax. Then that road tax gets privatized and you end up paying 6 times the amount in order to drive the same distance. After being priced off the road, would you just shrug it off and say "Oh well, life's pleasure's aren't free" then?

I can see your point, however The BBC are going to show 10 of the races, so you will get 10 races plus all the other BBC programming for your yearly license fee of 145 pounds..

It is not the perfect solution I understand but its a compromise. if you listen to the Five Live podcast previewing Hungary Crofty interviews the chap from the beeb who is in charge of F1, who says it is a matter of funds..

They cant afford it any longer..
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2933418)   #394
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I can see your point, however The BBC are going to show 10 of the races, so you will get 10 races plus all the other BBC programming for your yearly license fee of 145 pounds..

It is not the perfect solution I understand but its a compromise. if you listen to the Five Live podcast previewing Hungary Crofty interviews the chap from the beeb who is in charge of F1, who says it is a matter of funds..

I understand the necessity to a degree. But there's still good reason to be a) upset due to the loss of something that was so brilliant, and b) angry at the BBC for their rubbish fund management. Also c) angry at Sky Sports for spreading it over Sky Sports 1 and 2, jacking the cost up even further.

They've just spent £900 million on a new Television HQ, and persist with BBCs 3 and 4. It's a classic case of going for quantity over quality. I wonder how many identical late night BBC3 'comedies' could have been lost to fund their FOM contract?

Anyway, never mind eh? I won't be buying Sky myself JUST for F1, but I'll make do. Fingers crossed all the good races are live on the BBC. My biggest fear is the loss of the current commentary and punditry. They really are an excellent team.

Last edited by Fox89; 30 Jul 2011 at 16:02.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2933424)   #395
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Your points are valid fox89.. I am so used to paying to watch anything on TV here in the USA.. My package does not include BBC America which I would like of course for Top Gear and other shows..
Old 30 Jul 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2933425)   #396
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Whats the bet that this is the start of a complete takeover by Sky. So as I understand it, the BBC have effectively extended their contract? Their current deal was due to expire in 2013. So do I then assume that this new deal which lasts until 2018 means that the BBC will be locked into this deal until then? So after 2018 the deal needs to be renewed? I would bet that Sky would do a complete takeover of the rights at that point.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2933438)   #397
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[It is not the perfect solution I understand but its a compromise. if you listen to the Five Live podcast previewing Hungary Crofty interviews the chap from the beeb who is in charge of F1, who says it is a matter of funds..

They cant afford it any longer..[/QUOTE]

Do you know why? To save BBC4 so three people can watch Seasick Steve in concert at one in the morning. (No disrespect to Steve)
Old 30 Jul 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2933467)   #398
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
[It is not the perfect solution I understand but its a compromise. if you listen to the Five Live podcast previewing Hungary Crofty interviews the chap from the beeb who is in charge of F1, who says it is a matter of funds..

Do you know why? To save BBC4 so three people can watch Seasick Steve in concert at one in the morning. (No disrespect to Steve)[/QUOTE]

I think problems at the BBC are far more complex than that..
Old 30 Jul 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2933469)   #399
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
I love MB to death and so non PC.

Nothing has been said to just now when he said to DC " Who will be the drivers in the Job Centre queue before us next year " ......

Wonder if he will tackle Bernie on the Grid Walk tomorrow?
Yeah I caught that, you can sense they arent happy. Amazing really considering they can ask what they like of Sky in effect as they are the most important element apart from the cars & drivers themselves.

Anyway apparently its to pay for Tennis that the BBC need to make savings. I fully understand this 'cos Henman and Murray have brought a sense of glory to our shores these past few years with there never ending tales of abject failure. Meanwhile Button, Hamilton, Hill and Mansell have done what for BBC viewing figures over the years? Counts!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2933470)   #400
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
It isn't the same as stopping to watch five seconds into a single 100m race.
Quote:
Yes I can afford it. Just to let you know when I was a student I prioritised my spending and bought sky to get digitalF1+ back in the day.
Quote:
for someone who doesn't care so much your posts are a little odd. If you liked watching it then denying yourself that seems a daft thing to do.

I reckon the deferred races or extended highlights won't be butchered. The beeb are good at that kind of thing. Still it sounded dramatic.

As I said, I don't want this, but a bit of perspective wouldn't go a miss.

Tags
outrage, sky