Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2933479)   #401
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Do you know why? To save BBC4 so three people can watch Seasick Steve in concert at one in the morning. (No disrespect to Steve)
I think problems at the BBC are far more complex than that..[/QUOTE]Well Seasick Steve at 1am doesn't cost as much so you can have many things like that instead of £12m of F1. And quite a lot of people like that stuff.

BBC3 and BBC4 fulfil the BBC core function well.
When F1 wasn't that popular it was the beeb that managed to show it and turn it into what it is today. A victim of it's own success? It's all quite interesting when you think about it, even for a prick like me.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2933485)   #402
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It isn't the same as stopping to watch five seconds into a single 100m race.Yes I can afford it. Just to let you know when I was a student I prioritised my spending and bought sky to get digitalF1+ back in the day. for someone who doesn't care so much your posts are a little odd. If you liked watching it then denying yourself that seems a daft thing to do.

I reckon the deferred races or extended highlights won't be butchered. The beeb are good at that kind of thing. Still it sounded dramatic.

As I said, I don't want this, but a bit of perspective wouldn't go a miss.
People want to watch live. To do that for the whole season you have to have Sky (which I presume you already have from your posts).

Of course everyone can watch on the BBC for free as long as they don't want to watch live. My concern would be what happens when Sky takes over completely, which I am afraid is the end result of all this. I expect butchered highlights is all that will go FTA, but hopefully not for a few years.

It all comes down to Bernie charging more than the BBC can afford. He's a monopoly, and can do what he likes of course. So he does, and what he likes is to remove money from the pockets of the less well off and put in to his own pockets.

Lets get this straight - the only benefit to this is Bernie's bottom line. He makes sh1te loads of cash, whilst the average F1 watcher loses cash. If that OK with people, go ahead and pay for Sky sports. If you want Bernie to become richer and yourself to become poorer. It's entirely your choice. Is F1 worth it to you. It's certainly worth it to Bernie. And he doesn't even need the money....do you?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2933487)   #403
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Whats the bet that this is the start of a complete takeover by Sky. So as I understand it, the BBC have effectively extended their contract? Their current deal was due to expire in 2013. So do I then assume that this new deal which lasts until 2018 means that the BBC will be locked into this deal until then? So after 2018 the deal needs to be renewed? I would bet that Sky would do a complete takeover of the rights at that point.
I personally think this paves the way for a gradual takeover of F1 by Murdoch, starting with TV coverage first.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2933489)   #404
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think problems at the BBC are far more complex than that..
Well Seasick Steve at 1am doesn't cost as much so you can have many things like that instead of £12m of F1. And quite a lot of people like that stuff.

BBC3 and BBC4 fulfil the BBC core function well.
When F1 wasn't that popular it was the beeb that managed to show it and turn it into what it is today. A victim of it's own success? It's all quite interesting when you think about it, even for a prick like me.[/QUOTE]

Steve Browns post has my name on it.. That bloody Bernie Ecclestone its all his fault..
Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2933492)   #405
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I thought it was worth it, I bought F1digital+. Although you got a lot more than was on offer elsewhere and ITV sucked.

With the dramatic language flying around you'd think the end of he world was coming or TGF had driven into someone

If I ruled the world it would be on beeb. I don't, and as I reckon I have a decent grasp of realism, I see this as a reasonable outcome.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2933498)   #406
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

Steve Browns post has my name on it.. That bloody Bernie Ecclestone its all his fault..
oh pants, sorry I'm such a prick.

I'm also sorry to everyone else for not thinking this is that bad
Old 30 Jul 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2933514)   #407
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The trouble with only seeing half the season live is you just can't get into the narrative and tension of it all quite as well.

For me personally, it would be difficult to avoid the result. I work Sundays and I usually have to go in and out of the office quite a few times where they always have the race on (we have Sky so it will still be on). The canteen usually has Sky Sports News on (shudder) and there are several F1 fans at work. The result of the last GP was tannoyed out for someone for ****s sake, and that's before you get to people talking loudly about it or accidentally looking at someone's computer whilst they have BBC Sport up. I have no doubt my break will coincide with the re-runs too, usually have it between 4 and 5pm.

The odds are stacked against me on this one.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2933517)   #408
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The canteen usually has Sky Sports News on (shudder).
Sky Sports News is hilarious. They apply so much gravity and seriousness to the most tedious of sports news stories. "Du-du-dududu-du. This evening on Sky Sports News, drama as Geoff Smith goes on loan to Brentford. More later."
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2933521)   #409
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
The trouble with only seeing half the season live is you just can't get into the narrative and tension of it all quite as well.
As apposed to not watching the last half of a 100m race where you don't know who won
I get that, but it will be possible to watch the other half.
Quote:
(we have Sky so it will still be on).
ooo, get you. Working somewhere with sky. Not everyone does you know.
Quote:
The odds are stacked against me on this one.
You have most of this problem anyway.
I sympathise, I risk this most weekends and did today with Q. Last weekend I was at Silverstone and managed it, which I thought was quite impressive I thought.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2933522)   #410
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Sky Sports News is hilarious. They apply so much gravity and seriousness to the most tedious of sports news stories. "Du-du-dududu-du.
What does that remind you of?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2933523)   #411
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What does that remind you of?
Haha. Nah, that'd be 'Geoff Smith Eyes Brentford Switch'.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2933527)   #412
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sky Sports News is hilarious. They apply so much gravity and seriousness to the most tedious of sports news stories. "Du-du-dududu-du. This evening on Sky Sports News, drama as Geoff Smith goes on loan to Brentford. More later."
Oh I know. And yet the working class lap it up.

It is 24 hour news + Sky Sports hyperbole. Constant rolling footage of footballers cars pulling up to park as part of some January transfer narrative. "Nothing to report as yet Jim!"

I was sat in the canteen watching Wimbledon a few weeks back and some truckie rolls in, parks his backside and switches to Sky Sports News. Words fail me.

But on the plus side it does have the delicious Hayley McQueen.

Quote:
ooo, get you. Working somewhere with sky. Not everyone does you know.
It is quite cool. We have a Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360, dartboard, pool table and table tennis too as well as all the newspapers.

When the News Of The World scandal hit top speed, the company decided to boycott the paper. So pointless, considering it had been announced the paper had only one issue left, and we still fork out a shed of cash for copies of The Sun, Times, Sunday Times and a £2000 a month Sky subscription. When they announced it I was like this:

Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2933606)   #413
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Please don't insult the millions of working class people who have no interest in Soccer, let alone Sky Sports News.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2933610)   #414
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
But it is OK to insult the ones that do?

I don't think knowlesy is trying to insult anyone
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2933613)   #415
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Let me remind you working class lovers of F1..

The doctor is in the house...
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2933620)   #416
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
They deserve it.

Quote:
Apologies, I meant to put a smiley on the end of my post to take the sharp edge off it.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2933623)   #417
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

What on earth is soccer?

And why is it considered an insult to like it?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2933625)   #418
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recall Parliament I say. Murdoch and Ecclestone should be put away and made Peter Sutcliffes *****es.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2933633)   #419
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
What on earth is soccer?

Don't worry David it's a bunch of balls...
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2933637)   #420
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read the first 22 pages of this thread, so I get the gist of it. Bernie is to Formula 1, what Al Davis is to the NFL Was useful, but not useful anymore. Money hungry and if I do suspect, now suffering from Alzheimer's disease in 1 degree or another. I pay for my what we call " cable " full HD, PVR the whole kit. It costs me about $ 235 a month, pricey but I can swing it. I'm a huge F1 fan, and saying that, it is the sport that got me into marshaling, when , years back, it was broadcast on our version of public TV, the CBC, same as the BBC without the TV license, just regular taxes. I would be supremely P.O.'d if it then went to a pay channel with half the season on 1 live and half on the other, even with the free to air " deferred " bull#$$%. On top of all that, Bernie now wants to associate himself with that slug Rupert Murdoch. The poison midget, dwarf, whatever you want to call him, needs to go, just like Max Mosley went. I feel for you people in the UK.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2933640)   #421
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP Marshal View Post
I've read the first 22 pages of this thread, so I get the gist of it. Bernie is to Formula 1, what Al Davis is to the NFL Was useful, but not useful anymore. Money hungry and if I do suspect, now suffering from Alzheimer's disease in 1 degree or another. I pay for my what we call " cable " full HD, PVR the whole kit. It costs me about $ 235 a month, pricey but I can swing it. I'm a huge F1 fan, and saying that, it is the sport that got me into marshaling, when , years back, it was broadcast on our version of public TV, the CBC, same as the BBC without the TV license, just regular taxes. I would be supremely P.O.'d if it then went to a pay channel with half the season on 1 live and half on the other, even with the free to air " deferred " bull#$$%. On top of all that, Bernie now wants to associate himself with that slug Rupert Murdoch. The poison midget, dwarf, whatever you want to call him, needs to go, just like Max Mosley went. I feel for you people in the UK.
I don't see the comparison with Bernie and Al Davis.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2933643)   #422
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Please don't insult the millions of working class people who have no interest in Soccer, let alone Sky Sports News.
When did social class have anything to do with this?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2933648)   #423
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
What on earth is soccer?
I don't know, I don't have Sky so I can't see what it's all about...

Quote:
Because it's just balls... being kicked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
When did social class have anything to do with this?
Erm, did you not read the post I quoted?

Quote:
Quote:
Wishing I hadn't said anything now...
Old 30 Jul 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2933652)   #424
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al is old, just dismissed one of his best defensive players, wears Women's glasses and the league can't wait for him to kick the bucket and is money obsessed. Bernie is old, pushing 80, is money obsessed, and like Al, people in the business, F1 and the NFL, are gobsmacked when these two make some of the decisions that they make. Makes them wonder if they both have a full crayon box.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2933656)   #425
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Erm, did you not read the post I quoted?
Which one was that?

Tags
outrage, sky