Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2932789)   #201
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just don't get this at all and from what I have read both here and else where I am yet to find anyone who is in favour if this deal. I have Sky but don't have Sky Sports because as much as I would love to have I am not in a position at present to afford it.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2932792)   #202
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Another factor in this is I wonder how it will effect BBC's negotiations on TV rights for other sports - rivals will no doubt point out the F1 example and that BBC broke their agreement because it didn't suit them...
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2932795)   #203
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
"We have to be flexible and adaptable, we're operating in a very tough financial climate blah blah."

Well get rid of some of the other sh*t cluttering the BBC at the moment? Why not flog something like the dead horse that is Eastenders off to Sky? Or get rid of BBC3 and 4 - channels that have rubbish viewing figures, but take up a very high proportion of the BBC's budget?

If I was in charge of the BBC, I wouldn't find it hard to cut costs to keep F1! :P
They will waste double what they spend on F1 in a blink of an eye. The Beeb likes to present itself as watching every penny, but does it. Over £180M per year to run BBC3 and BBC4, why does BBC need fringe digital channels, it's supposed to be a public service broadcaster. And they are spending hundreds of millions moving to Salford to save money....
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2932796)   #204
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it really is £600 a year for new customers. to add the sports pack to an existing basic contract is £243 a year.

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/build

I have Virgin Media but...no, no Sky channels. So £600. Which is actually devalued even further by the fact that half the races are on the beeb. So we'd actually only be paying for TEN races per year (although to clarify, I am grateful that it's not a complete move to PayTV).

Feel sorry for all the casual fans the BBC have built up for F1 since 2009. I wonder how many of those will continue to watch it on Sky if they don't already have the service. I know motorsport is the pursuit of the wealthy, but I didn't realize watching it was as well.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2932797)   #205
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
"We have to be flexible and adaptable, we're operating in a very tough financial climate blah blah."

Well get rid of some of the other sh*t cluttering the BBC at the moment? Why not flog something like the dead horse that is Eastenders off to Sky? Or get rid of BBC3 and 4 - channels that have rubbish viewing figures, but take up a very high proportion of the BBC's budget?

If I was in charge of the BBC, I wouldn't find it hard to cut costs to keep F1! :P
A tough financial climate of their own making; over paying their excecutives and TV personalities, with no regard to the future, just like New Labour.

They do have some good programmes on BBC3 and 4 but they do show a lot of dross, like Eastenders.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2932799)   #206
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
They will waste double what they spend on F1 in a blink of an eye. The Beeb likes to present itself as watching every penny, but does it. Over £180M per year to run BBC3 and BBC4, why does BBC need fringe digital channels, it's supposed to be a public service broadcaster. And they are spending hundreds of millions moving to Salford to save money....
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I think that interview is the typical bullsh*t you'll inevitably get surrounding something like this. Trying to worm out of it and look like they're pleasing people, which based on here and numerous other forums, they've completely failed to achieve.

Like how she totally dodged the last question really. I don't give a sh*t about any of the other sport BBC shows. The only sport I watch on BBC is the Formula One. I couldn't care less about the bloody Derby or Six Nations. Therefore, seeing as they are only showing half a season, I still think it should be okay to pay half the license fee. :P
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2932801)   #207
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far the teams aren't protesting heavily against the deal. As if this deal isn't against their commercial interests.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2932803)   #208
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
So far the teams aren't protesting heavily against the deal. As if this deal isn't against their commercial interests.
Don't think there's really much chance of that happening anyway. As ever, nobody in F1 gives a sh*t what the fans think/want. Which is okay, because soon they'll get to learn exactly why the fans matter so much when the viewing figures are pathetic next season.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2932808)   #209
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im a little surprised the BBC did not make money of their F1 coverage.

they dont have to pay the crew filming the race, they dont have to edit anything other than the world feed, they sell their broadcast rights to other countries (Canada for sure).

as far as i can tell their costs are to BE for the rights and for the costs of prerace shows and sending a couple of groups of commentators around the world to cover it.

side by side coverage for adverts is essentially all they would have had to do to justify those expenses. but people dont want ads they just want things for free but i suppose that is also BE's fault?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2932809)   #210
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecclestone says this will help more people see F1.

Not entirely sure how as, if you have the Sky then you have BBC... but oh well. He says "The BBC might yet do the entire race deferred". Now, if they do THAT, and slap their own commentary team over the top, I won't be too upset. Waiting a few hours for a re-run of the race is something I can live with.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2932820)   #211
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
im a little surprised the BBC did not make money of their F1 coverage.

they dont have to pay the crew filming the race, they dont have to edit anything other than the world feed, they sell their broadcast rights to other countries (Canada for sure).

as far as i can tell their costs are to BE for the rights and for the costs of prerace shows and sending a couple of groups of commentators around the world to cover it.

side by side coverage for adverts is essentially all they would have had to do to justify those expenses. but people dont want ads they just want things for free but i suppose that is also BE's fault?
The problem the BBC faces is due to their overspending and now they are feeling the pinch, so they have had to cut back.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2932825)   #212
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Ecclestone, on the rumored News Corp takeover back in May:

Quote:
"Sky is doing an incredible job, but if you look at their audience they are nowhere. With these figures it would be almost impossible for teams to find sponsors. That would be suicidal."
Fortunately that stopped being the case since...last night I guess.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2932827)   #213
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The problem the BBC faces is due to their overspending and now they are feeling the pinch, so they have had to cut back.
i get that and naturally i am assuming that they are cutting back on programs that dont make them money.

what i dont understand is why they dont make money off F1. i have no doubt that SKY will make money with their deal and will no doubt make even more money whey they get their hands on every live race.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2932831)   #214
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Ecclestone, on the rumored News Corp takeover back in May:

Fortunately that stopped being the case since...last night I guess.
spot on

I know he is a small target but how much does a decent hitman run at?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2932833)   #215
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i get that and naturally i am assuming that they are cutting back on programs that dont make them money.

what i dont understand is why they dont make money off F1. i have no doubt that SKY will make money with their deal and will no doubt make even more money whey they get their hands on every live race.
F1 does make them money, as they export their coverage but I think a lot of the thinking behind this is due to F1 viewing figures. It's very popular but it serves a niche market and therefore too limited an audience, for the BBC's liking.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2932834)   #216
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie finally kills the Golden Goose...best coverage and presenters in years and rising audiences will now be decimated by the Beeb's stupidity and Bernie's lack of interest in his audience.

Who will bother paying to watch Hungary, Valencia, Spain or Turkey? All tedious races that will now probably be stuffed with 5 min ad breaks anyway.

Once again the BBC forgets it's charter..give the people what they want and stop wasting OUR cash on politically correct moves to Salford and crappy BBC 3 "comedies"
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2932836)   #217
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
F1 does make them money, as they export their coverage but I think a lot of the thinking behind this is due to F1 viewing figures. It's very popular but it serves a niche market and therefore too limited an audience, for the BBC's liking.
Doctor Who episode 'Day of the Moon' earlier this year: 5.4 million viewers.

Canadian GP: 8 million viewers (also known as 12.5% of the British population)
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2932837)   #218
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Doctor Who episode 'Day of the Moon' earlier this year: 5.4 million viewers.

Canadian GP: 8 million viewers.
Unfortunately Doctor Who is slowly going down the pan and I think that's down to overkill, through over exposure.

Good to see the Canadian GP getting 8 million.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2932838)   #219
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Good to see the Canadian GP getting 8 million.
Which is only 500k short of the combined counts of ITV and ESPN for the FA Cup final! I think it's safe to say that this move is definitely not about bad viewing figures
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2932839)   #220
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi View Post

Who will bother paying to watch Hungary, Valencia, Spain or Turkey? All tedious races that will now probably be stuffed with 5 min ad breaks anyway.
Sky aren't showing advert breaks during the races.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2932840)   #221
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Good news!

BBC will show entire races deferred, says Whitmarsh.

Quote:
"From what Bernie has said it's better than expected," said Whitmarsh.

"The BBC will show every grand prix in full, half of them live and half of them deferred, so free-to-air is available to everyone.

"Sky sound like they are really going to commit to it as well, so it sounds like there is a little bit of competition between the BBC and Sky.

"So overall, from Bernie's view, it will increase the total viewership within the UK.

"Bernie assured me, and I asked him several times, the deferred coverage will not be highlights, it will be a full race.
Bernie had better stick to that!!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2932842)   #222
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Which is only 500k short of the combined counts of ITV and ESPN for the FA Cup final! I think it's safe to say that this move is definitely not about bad viewing figures
What were the BBC's viewing figures for the FA Cup final?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2932844)   #223
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Full length delayed, is that what that means??

I thought it was just extended highlights (1 hours instead of 30 mins?)

Whatever, us terrestrial/cable viewers will still miss out on qualifying won't we Bernie.

How on earth can anyone justify giving any deal to the SKY family whilst there is such neagtive opinion towards the Murdoch's?

Smart move Ecclestone.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2932845)   #224
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good news!

BBC will show entire races deferred, says Whitmarsh.

Bernie had better stick to that!!
Like he stuck to his word on F1 being free to air I assume?

The sooner Bernie goes the better.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2932848)   #225
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
What were the BBC's viewing figures for the FA Cup final?
0, I think, as it was only on ITV (edit: and ESPN)

I looked back on previous years though out of curiosity, and they were all around the same. 7-8 million.

Quote:
Full length delayed, is that what that means??

I thought it was just extended highlights (1 hours instead of 30 mins?)
Yes, it means delayed full races. The original plan was just extended highlights, but apparently Bernie has been reconsidering. If what he told Martin is true, he has changed his mind and will now allow the BBC to show deferred races. Definitely not official yet though, still at 'something I decided over lunch after seeing the internet reaction' stage.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky