Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2954686)   #76
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent day at Stowe Out yesterday. Thanks to my fellow flaggy John.
Great race, with some great battles throughout and no rain
Only 2 gripes; When is McNish going to stop driving into people.
Silverstone have got to get rid of the astro turf. It became an embarrassment.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2954704)   #77
MotorBreath
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
MotorBreath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Silverstone have got to get rid of the astro turf. It became an embarrassment.
I couldn't agree more. During yesterday's race, there were bits of the stuff in the middle of the track, rolling in the wind, and by the end of the race it was everywhere in the run-off (Village).
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2954836)   #78
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
99% of it stayed in place at Copse, despite the best efforts of car 5 in the Euro F3 races.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2954839)   #79
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a football pitches' worth of astroturf on circuit at Club and the start of the pit straight....especially after Jody Firth went off. I think he dragged some with him.

Looked terrible on telly, worse in real life.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2954912)   #80
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well having not marshalled at this meeting before I have to say it will be the first on my list for 2012.

Stowe out on Friday, Chapel on Saturday and Abbey pit wall on Sunday meant I had different views each day and a different challenge.

Thanks to all the very friendly Silverstone marshals who made me more than welcome.

Role on Britcar
Old 13 Sep 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2954938)   #81
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all on Vale (and like Roger said - to the supporting posts ) - first fire, but a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. I hadn't really even watched this before, but I am definitely putting it down for next year (whatever guise it may appear in).

I am very much looking forward to Britcar now.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2955076)   #82
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
First visit and although having received ´mixed´ recommendations upfront about the circuit, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the event. Thanks to everyone involved @Brooklands on Friday and @Vale on Sat/Sun.

For those interested, here´s a link to the no. 23 crash http://www.flickr.com/photos/foofigh...2884/lightbox/ and the fire (press Next on top of page).

Back next year - and if delays with ferry can be prevented - not only for this event or Silverstone!

Arjen
Old 13 Sep 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2955090)   #83
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look forward to seeing you guys next year!

Thanks for posting photos too!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2955100)   #84
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting that pic. I'd say I'm in the smoke! Rookie mistake trying to extinguish the flames with the wind coming at me :P
Old 13 Sep 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2955101)   #85
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
First visit and although having received ´mixed´ recommendations upfront about the circuit, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the event. Thanks to everyone involved @Brooklands on Friday and @Vale on Sat/Sun.

For those interested, here´s a link to the no. 23 crash http://www.flickr.com/photos/foofigh...2884/lightbox/ and the fire (press Next on top of page).

Back next year - and if delays with ferry can be prevented - not only for this event or Silverstone!

Arjen
Nice to see you guys, glad you enjoyed your trip, but have you seen my camel??!!
Great photos.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2955113)   #86
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only there Sunday, but had a great day on the flags at Club In (or Vale Out, whichever you prefer).

The speed differential into the pitlane was very scary if you just happened to look at the wrong time and see a car spearing straight on while others turned into the chicane!

Other than that, lots of blues, one green for the spinning 007 (nerfed round mid-corner by the other Gulf Coloured LMP #24), and one yellow as lead for the double yellow at Club Out for the pitwall shunt, so a pretty steady day. And reasonably sheltered from the wind too, which was a blessing

Plenty of international sportscar racing going on my tick sheet for next year
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2955261)   #87
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nina and I had a thoroughly brilliant time at this meeting. The atmos was great in the pits and startline.

Helped Chris with the recovery of the pit wall shunt, which was a downer for us as we know the driver pretty well.

The cars were awesome, as was watching the pit stops - amazing. Certainly one for next year.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2955446)   #88
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
Nina and I had a thoroughly brilliant time at this meeting. The atmos was great in the pits and startline.

Helped Chris with the recovery of the pit wall shunt, which was a downer for us as we know the driver pretty well.

The cars were awesome, as was watching the pit stops - amazing. Certainly one for next year.
endurance races are the only times i would work pits, was at the 2cv's and i would definately do that again, provided as a general rule of thumb i steer well clear and let some officials and teams remain in their own little world... its ok for lms as there's a different type of atmosphere with everyone as there is too much at stake if someone went past a talking to and was to be reported, id only do it in the most extreme of cases but what ive found is the club stuff is completely different...

Last edited by NewYankee01; 14 Sep 2011 at 13:54.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2955538)   #89
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
i steer well clear and let some officials and teams remain in their own little world... its ok for lms as there's a different type of atmosphere with everyone as there is too much at stake if someone went past a talking to and was to be reported, id only do it in the most extreme of cases but what ive found is the club stuff is completely different...
I spoke to the manager of one of the teams I was covering after a minor shortcoming in fire cover, when they were re-filling their fuel rig - not something that was covered in the check-list. After finishing off what he had been doing he went off and spoke to the guys without any argument. Even fed me later on
Old 14 Sep 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2955549)   #90
DavidBritainUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
DavidBritainUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really good weekend out at Stowe. Many thanks to Chris and the incident team, and my flag team (both in and out!).

The cars were great, even the Speed series is good now and, despite the poor grids the F3s produced some good action.

Roll on 2012.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2955562)   #91
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Arjen
Glad to have helped a little - although arranging to meet at the pub was hardly a hardship

I just hope RacerKeke wasn't expecting those stroopwaffels to be passed across the Atlantic - because they're rapidly diminishing in number!

Hope you all can come back next year - even without a ferry, get yourselves to East Midlands airport and you're less than 3 miles to Donington. Get to Birmingham and we can do transport to Donington, Rockingham, Silverstone, Mallory Park or even Brands Hatch! Get on marshals.org.uk in January and get planning!

We'll hopefully get out to Assen/Zandvoort/Spa in '12.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2955567)   #92
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBritainUK View Post
Really good weekend out at Stowe. Many thanks to Chris and the incident team, and my flag team (both in and out!).

The cars were great, even the Speed series is good now and, despite the poor grids the F3s produced some good action.

Roll on 2012.
You're welcome and thanks for the assessment on Sunday

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2955572)   #93
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
You're welcome and thanks for the assessment on Sunday
Ha ha, should have found me, I could give you one of those
Old 14 Sep 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2955598)   #94
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Though I enjoyed the weekend, one thing that annoys me is how some spectators find the need to get under the barrier and go right up to the fence to get a decent photo (so they don't have the fence in the way) without thinking about there own safety. I hate it though when one person does as they all follow suit. It seems to happen at some events. As a marshal I feel My job is to concentrate what's happening on the track and not crowd control or am I wrong?. I only had to ask a couple but it can be a pain sometimes.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2955693)   #95
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
I just hope RacerKeke wasn't expecting those stroopwaffels to be passed across the Atlantic - because they're rapidly diminishing in number!
I´m pretty sure she was! Now you only have to find a way to compensate for her loss...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2955704)   #96
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Special delivery via FaceBook.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2955746)   #97
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Even fed me later on
Well, that's just favouratism.....LOL

Weird thing this, Start Line Amy has always told us it is unlucky to grid people you know....indeed, when she does she reckons they never finish for one reason or another.

Nina and I have always said "superstitious nonsense", and to prove the point Nina asked to grid Jody.
What happens? He ends up in the pit wall......

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 15 Sep 2011 at 07:03.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2955772)   #98
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
Though I enjoyed the weekend, one thing that annoys me is how some spectators find the need to get under the barrier and go right up to the fence to get a decent photo (so they don't have the fence in the way) without thinking about there own safety. I hate it though when one person does as they all follow suit. It seems to happen at some events. As a marshal I feel My job is to concentrate what's happening on the track and not crowd control or am I wrong?. I only had to ask a couple but it can be a pain sometimes.
I was there as a spectator and whilst I didn't feel the need to duck under any fences I was disturbed by how easy it would be in a number of places for a spectator to actually get trackside.

In front of the Becketts stand for example there was an open gate with a single rail barrier infront of it, the marshals post some way off.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2956044)   #99
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=mikenunn-78;2955772]I was there as a spectator and whilst I didn't feel the need to duck under any fences I was disturbed by how easy it would be in a number of places for a spectator to actually get trackside.

In front of the Becketts stand for example there was an open gate with a single rail barrier infront of it, the marshals post some way off.[/

Maybe they should more have spectator marshals going round the circuit as they do have them in the grandstand?
Old 15 Sep 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2956082)   #100
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post

Ha ha, should have found me, I could give you one of those
I wanted a creditable one!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”