Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:05 (Ref:562916)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ingliston Circuit

Was watching a review of the 1991 Formula Vauxhall Lotus Championship today, and was wondering if anyone can give some details about the history of Ingliston Circuit, or did anyone here ever drive on it!?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:15 (Ref:562925)   #2
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, 'fraid I did. 1970 in a 1340 8 cwt v.fast Spridget. Can't remember much 'cept the smell of cow manure and the fact that you were running around the Showgrounds. Quite narrow and going off looked to be dangerous.
Every beer had an accompanying chaser. Excellent.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:23 (Ref:563291)   #3
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You sure the smell was from the cows John?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 07:32 (Ref:563606)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been there twice,the only circuit in Scotland I have seen.Opened in 1965 and closed about 10yrs ago.Handy access,bus to the airport stops nearby.Nice covered stands,perhaps the best spectator venue since Crystal Palace. No chance of getting me to the fog shrouded mountain that is Knockhill!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 09:05 (Ref:563683)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone know why it closed down?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 16:58 (Ref:564157)   #6
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something sure was frit ...
Old 10 Apr 2003, 03:19 (Ref:564729)   #7
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Ingliston racing stop due to an argument, between the SMRC and the owners of the showgrounds.

Last edited by mickj; 10 Apr 2003 at 03:19.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 20:43 (Ref:565522)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
how about coming back to crystal palace then...
Old 11 Apr 2003, 07:22 (Ref:565914)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mr Collins,I see Bruce Springsteen is performing there on May 26-27.Local operator here is running a coach trip for £140. So I guess no motorsport that weekend?
Old 12 Apr 2003, 09:53 (Ref:567085)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ingliston 1970 - The start of a Formula Libre race with Tommy Reid's BT30 on pole
Attached Thumbnails
ing70-librestart.jpg  
Old 12 Apr 2003, 09:55 (Ref:567087)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The special saloon Mini of Bill Borrowman leads Sedric Bell up to the esses shortly after the start - 1970.
Attached Thumbnails
ing70-minis.jpg  
Old 12 Apr 2003, 09:57 (Ref:567090)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Same section of the circuit - John Miles' works Lotus 62 leads the Group 4 field, 1969.
Attached Thumbnails
ing69-group4.jpg  
Old 12 Apr 2003, 10:46 (Ref:567131)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
nice! Mr springteen is playing in the stadium on the infield. but no - no racing round then
Old 9 Jan 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1810785)   #14
Stuart Fleming
Rookie

Scotland
Stuart Fleming should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey guys, i was looking for info on Ingliston and came across this thread, i know its really old, but im looking for as much info, pics and vids of the track in the 90's. I hope Someone can help me, this is for a personal track modelling project. Thnaks
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1811078)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Stuart; hope that you get some responses.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 15:55 (Ref:1811536)   #16
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Use of Ingliston was stopped for a number of reasons but there was the need for run off that would have meant removing buildings that the Royal Highland Society (owners of the place) were not willing to do. Really sad. It was the home of Scottish motor racing between Charterhall going out of use in the mid sixties and Derek Butcher rejuvanating Knockhill around 90/91.
I was taken there as a nine year old and the obsession with motor racing has never stopped!
Seen umtpteen events there in the late seventies/eighties and competed in a number of sprints there. Short and seems like you can never rest - there was always another corner or bit of the same corner coming up.
There is a website on circuits somewhere (cant remember the url) that has a map. Either that or get an old program. 1.03 miles long.
Go to the Highland Show in June and you will find a fair bit of the track. The biggest problem is they have built a grandstand right on top of the start/finish line at Arena.
Also have to mention the Doug Niven toilet block aviation incident! 1975?
You will find them on the back straight.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1811549)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=632708 there is what i think is the layout !
its a great shame as it seemed a good circuit !
Old 10 Jan 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1811617)   #18
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My Dad had his only outright race win at Ingliston in 93' racing his Tiga Sports 2000. Fantastic circuit. I remember my brother and I walking round the circuit looking for conkers about the age of 7. Arena was great with the old stand, it was very dangerous but it was great to hear the cars reverbarate around it and the atmosphere was electric.

I remember seeing Spaceframe Imps racing and thats when I decided, I wanted to own one when I was older! I now have 1!

There was word that the Royal Highland Show Society were moving on to a different venue because the Airport wanted to buy the land to expand upon, supposedly now the airport has bought more land in the other direction!

It always makes me frustrated, when I pass it on the way to the airport, because I remember how good it was as a spectator but also that I will never experience it for myself.

Sir Jackie Stewart was the figure head for creating Scotland's Grand Prix circuit. Graham Gaulds new book, Scottish Motor Racing and Drivers document the development very well.
The idea was shot down by the Royal Highland Show Society not wanting them to build it on their land and supposedly the locals would have complained because of the noise, even though they live right next to Edinburgh Airport!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1811823)   #19
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Ingliston was a great little circuit.

My dad used to race his mini's there from the very first event (this is him leading into the right hander after the esses in a mini traveller Cooper S)

In later years I used to go along and video film the races with him I have hours of old video from the 80's in the loft.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1811830)   #20
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

this picture was taken from inside the granstand looking onto arena, Andrew Jeffrey driving a Formula Atlantic car in which he was very successful
Old 11 Jan 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1812372)   #21
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycrosscraig, who was your father? Interested to see if I could remember him.
Was going through old photo's recently and found one of Dario Franchitti's father in a 792 March waiting in the Paddock to pits access road.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1812429)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great onboard footage of Warren Hughes at Ingliston in FVL in 1991, showing how close those showground buildings were!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWik-ekruM
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1812543)   #23
Stuart Fleming
Rookie

Scotland
Stuart Fleming should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive seen that video and thats what gave me the idea to model the track, im looking for any videos from tv cameras? and as many fotos of the track during the 90's, i think that Warren Huges video is enough for me to start and i think ill make a trip down to the track to get some of my own fotos.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1812562)   #24
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was certainly a video probably in about 1991 or 1992 that included coverage of the Honda CRX Championship at Ingliston... Might be worth searching out.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1812570)   #25
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did every meeting there in 1973, they paid start money, and won trheir production saloon championship in a Hillman Imp with a Bevan engine. Will see if I have got any programmes in the loft