Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:24 (Ref:808386)   #26
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
Get a GT40
Only any good if they have the same refueling rules as this year !!!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:30 (Ref:808393)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Elva's with BMW engines were not allowed in 6 Hour??? Otherwise I think you are right they are the compromise
Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:31 (Ref:808395)   #28
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
were this years refuelling rules different from other years?
Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:33 (Ref:808398)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
we seem to strayed off the subject of Thudersports but 60's sportscars is a very acceptable swerve!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:36 (Ref:808400)   #30
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
Yes last year the GT40's could only put 100 litres in which would last approx 11/2 hours this year it was what ever they could carry, bu99er - poor old E type just could do the pace
Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:41 (Ref:808405)   #31
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was that as a concession to the celebrations Ford had throughout the year?
Old 10 Dec 2003, 15:46 (Ref:808409)   #32
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
More like they thought they'd better change the rules to let the people with the most expensive cars win.(cynic)
Old 10 Dec 2003, 16:39 (Ref:808467)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

I have to say that has a very true ring to it!
At least that gives me a good excuse for my end results!!!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 21:57 (Ref:808736)   #34
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon, I enjoyed a couple of seasons in Thundersports 83 - 84. I had the good fortune to run a 2 litre TOJ BMW which was a wonderful car, entirely built for the job. There were a number of really super big cars class motors like Foulston's Can Am Lola, Martin Birraine's Ford C100, Siggi Brunn's 908 twin Turbo Porsche and Eddie Arundell's Lola DFV. Laterly we ran a BDG Tiga which was lightening quick. Think I have a picture here abouts.

There were a number of Sports 200O and they'd embarres you in the wet - well one or two did. The 2 litre class was really made up of homeless chassis, one or two decent but unusual engines. Maybe a couple of genuine 2 litre Sports cars. They were all really great to drive - a 320 bhp BDX or BDG or BMW M12 were great engines - and I don't recall too many big engined Sports 2OOOs suffering flexing.

Whether there would be a viable series now I don't know as many of the cars we used are now quite old and many components would need remaking and renewing. That all would get very expensive, evan impossible. Brake systems, bag tanks , joints and stuff.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 22:02 (Ref:808744)   #35
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The TOJ at Brands.
Attached Thumbnails
scan1.jpg  
Old 10 Dec 2003, 22:03 (Ref:808747)   #36
gfm
Veteran

and the Tiga
Attached Thumbnails
86 tiga bh.jpg  
Old 11 Dec 2003, 07:30 (Ref:808998)   #37
simon drabble
Veteran

Thanks GFM for that - is your Toj the one that keeps coming up for sale (I think I saw it being advertised again recently)
I am very interested in what you think about the Tiga as this with a BDV was exactly the route I was looking at -
do you think that would be competitive in Britsports? Also does anyone else know whether there would be anywhere else to run a car like that either here or in Europe?
Old 11 Dec 2003, 13:29 (Ref:809223)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

Why did RJB Mining Championship stop and has anything replaced it? These cars are not prohibitively expensive to run like group C so what made the grids diminish?
Old 11 Dec 2003, 22:05 (Ref:809635)   #39
gfm
Veteran

Simon - I don't know whether the TOJ is the one which is up for sale.
The Tiga was brilliant, much of it based on Howden Ganley's work. It was really quick and tough; the harder you drove, the better it went. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of what Britsport is, but at the time, there were very few cars that would stay with it, given it's 300 bhp and plenty of downforce.
It was purpose built, not any sort of S2000 development. Quite a pricey car.
At the end of the day, motor racing series tend to disappear up there own arse in any case. After a season or two, maintenance gets to be a major issue and if you've been to most of the circuits a few times, you tend to want to move on. I thought the RJB mining series enjoyed a few years worth like Thundersport and died out of lack of interest. Some of the 2 litre sports cars have been doing many years worth of competition.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:42 (Ref:810101)   #40
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, a couple of interesting points there. Firstly the Tiga, was this the Chester Wedgwood car, did he or you own it? I presume it was based on a C2-type tub, hence the strength, was it an 87 car ?

Second you mention that 'you tend to want to move on', I guess this ultimatley reflects the human condition. Most people in most walks of life always seem to want to progress themselves, or 'move onwards'. Its only natural that it applies to drivers/teams too, and quite a healthy thing I think, for the benefit of the series in question, its nice to have new bllod coming in to replace those moving onwards. Like most things in life aswell, money/resources is a clear issue here. Sorry to get a bit philosophical !!
Old 12 Dec 2003, 13:25 (Ref:810158)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

so the Tiga wasnt an uprated Sports 2000 - is it the general view that they were not up to handling BDG's?
You mention cost - it seems to me that compared to running a Climax they are pretty reasonable, the cost of tyres etc.. presumably adds up.
in view of the justifiable popularity of two driver races I wonder if there are enough interested parties to get a grid together??
Old 13 Dec 2003, 17:17 (Ref:811032)   #42
gfm
Veteran

Dan - yes this was Wedgewood's car. I drove the TIGA Sports 2000 in the States for a pro-season year and Chester's car was not a beefed up S2000 car. Your right, C2 type tub. It certainly handled the best BD motors and the BMW M12 motor which was my favourite, no problem. And super-quick, boy did it motor.
The sad thing about 'moving on' is that ultimately, all classes of racing disappear up their own chuffs sooner or later, except those with a specific stepping stone identity. Things need to be new pretty regularly.
Re cost Simon, I think the big deal here is just how hard you need to go to do well. Thundersports was not particularly competitive (ie there were not many 'comparable' cars) so you could stoke the things along at a fair lick without dropping valves or needing new tyres everytime you went up the pit lane. If it had been as close as the 2 Litre sports cars a few seasons earlier, then you might start to hit the lifing limits a little sooner.
2 driver series always open up more interest on the driver's side to help with costs.

Last edited by gfm; 13 Dec 2003 at 17:20.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1335152)   #43
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Simon,

I'm with you, I would be interested in racing a thundersports type car. Great cars and ought to be able to race in a good series somewhere. Sprint Modern at Spa RMU this year seems a good starting point, unless the Orwell Supersports will offer an invitation class to boost the fun on their grids.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1335475)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

what was the sprint modern race? Does Orwell struggle to get full grids? Whenever I have seen them they looked in good order... fortune favours the brave and at the moment there are several thundersport cars on the market for the same price as S2000. Its a shame that S2000 historic class cant get enough to hold stand alone races - if it did I would be tempted but the general S2000 races are not always held at the most interesting meetings (from a historic point of view)
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1335591)   #45
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another point with Thunder Sports is it was enthusiastically promoted.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1336525)   #46
jamesl
Racer

Simon,

The sprint modern race was a 500 mile race at Spa in May 2005. There were 58 starters, with cars ranging from Normas-Jaguar XK8.The top 3 after 3 hours and 62 laps were seperated by 12 seconds. A Thundersports car with a YB cosworth would be good value car to race in this series. BDG power would only be worth the investment if Orwell opened their doors. I will check the strength of their grids this weekend.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1336789)   #47
simon drabble
Veteran

would it be competitive as well?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1337675)   #48
jamesl
Racer

Simon,

You wont be winning but you will be in the midfield.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1337952)   #49
simon drabble
Veteran

I tried to get RMU website open to look at the results
can you pls repost the link - are you down at Dijon thsi weekend - family committments stopped me going I am very jealous of those of you who go!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1338014)   #50
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Britsports, look at www.eerc.co.uk (not the world's best website though)
The modern sprint is part of VdeV: www.vdev.fr
Not sure but this car could also be eligible for the Sports Car Challenge: www.sportscarchallenge.at - although this is a central European series it has British entrants.