Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 3 Jan 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1192443)   #1
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2005 US GP questions

I'm planning on going to the USGP at Indy this year, and I have a couple of questions.

Where's the best place to sit? Around the last turn on the banking (A, B or E)? Turn one? the paddock? Ideally I'd like to be able to see some of the infield as well as the main straight and banked turn, but it's good to be able to see the big screen

Is there any advantage to the penthouses over the normal stands?

Finally, where are good places to stay? I don't want to spend a complete fortune.

Cheers,

Jonathan.
Old 3 Jan 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1192553)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=jonboyG] Finally, where are good places to stay? I don't want to spend a complete fortune. [QUOTE]

Surely you jest. There is NO PLACE reasonable during any speedway event. I was a marshal for the '02 race and they `attempted' to help us. See my article http://www.marshalspost.com/display_...?article_id=19 I woudn't give a penny for a room.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1192724)   #3
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try Tim Northcutt a fine member of ten tenths who knows everything there is to know about Indy
Old 14 Jan 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1200496)   #4
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy USGP

General Admission only for Fri/Sat...you can sit anywhere...... On Sunday, GA gets you to sit in the hill area from Turn 7 through turn 10/11. Also...I think GA is in the Tower Terrace section except for the 2 end sections...Sec 37 by the podium (where my seats have been the past 4 years) and what ever number the last section is at the far end. All other seats are reserved for Race Day...... I understand the grandstands built for last years race at turn 6 and turn 10 were very popular. The problem I see with the Grandstand seats accross from the pits is that the cars hug the way as they go down the main straight..... hope this helps...... tickets for the USGP are inexpensive....but $$$ for hotels makes up for that !!!!

Murph
Old 3 May 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1292263)   #5
BigB
Rookie

BigB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USGP Question - seating

Anyone been to Indy to catch the GP there? I'm thinking of going this year and would like some comments on seating.

I'm thinking either the NW or SE vista would be a good spot. I'd like a nice view of some turns, as well as a good photographic point.

Any comments / suggestions?
Old 3 May 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1292344)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been twice and I'm going again this year.

For me, the best has to be H or J. You get a great view of the cars coming down the straight, and braking hard for everyone's favorite turn, turn 1! Then you can watch them accelerate as they pull away from the turn (amazing acceleration!) and follow them into much of the infield, up to Corner 6 Terrace. They could be tough seats to get though, as these stands are always packed! Try for the NW Vista, or E, which I hear is good also.

Don't miss the museum, it's great. And downtown offer's you some great bars and resturants, where you may even run into some Indy or CC drivers!

Good luck, have fun!

Danica Patrick
Old 4 May 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1292869)   #7
BigB
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I can't get the seats on the front straight, sold out. I was thinking of the NW vista or SE vista, however some comments on another site have persuaded me to go for the Corner 10 as we can grab some good views through the corners and as they get on the banked curve. Though I will keep H in mind for next year
Old 4 May 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1292890)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have a great time and let us know how it goes on.

I wonder if there can be some more general info from people who have visited the Brickyard - moved to trackside.
Old 4 May 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1292973)   #9
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been every year and always sit in H or J. We picked those seats the first year and are now upgraded to J1 up high.

NW Vista is good but a bit far back. I don't think the SW Vista is nearly as good. I have watched qualifying from E. It is better than SW but not as good as NW Vista.

If you go try to be there on Friday and Saturday when you can sit anywhere. Try out various locations. If you really don't like the seats you are going to be in spend a little money with the scalpers to upgrade.

Enjoy Hoosier hospitality at its finest. The track staff are really nice to deal with.

Don't miss the museum either. It is worth the effort.

Last edited by Mosport67; 4 May 2005 at 16:49. Reason: spelling
Old 4 May 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1293110)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Have a great time and let us know how it goes on.

I wonder if there can be some more general info from people who have visited the Brickyard - moved to trackside.
Thanks Adam - as a very similar question was asked earlier in the year I've merged the threads to keep all comments and responses together - hopefully BigB you'll find some other useful answers in what's already been said.
Old 4 May 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1293129)   #11
BigB
Rookie

Thanks, sorry for the repost
Old 4 May 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1293212)   #12
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB
Anyone been to Indy to catch the GP there? I'm thinking of going this year and would like some comments on seating.
This map is not accurate for those trying to sit opposite Turn 1 to see the cars braking hard from pit straight.
The Section actually opposite Turn 1 is the Section 3 of Stand J not Stand H as it appears on this Indy diagram.
I mention this because a lot of fans seem to fancy sitting directly opposite Turn 1. Often they end up sitting along the pit straight in Stand H where if sitting low down you may only see the top of a car's engine cover and hear the noise as it goes past hugging the nearside wall.
You have a fantastic view if sitting low in Stand J Section 3 - say Row D, Seats 8,9, or thereabouts. Mostly in Stand H it is better to be higher up in Row AA or above.

I agree with other posters that it is a great idea to try out different seats during practice and qualifying and make a note of the positions.
The best way to obtain preferred seats is to e-mail or telephone the Speedway directly rather than using the hit and miss Indy website booking.

This is the best Indy seat map I am aware of

www.geocities.com/arthurvandele/imsmap.html

Definitely go to USA GP - you will love Indy.
Old 29 May 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1313787)   #13
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are there any 10 tenths events planned for Indy?

Only 3 weeks left, starting to get excited...
Old 29 May 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1314122)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

For another map with the turns identified click HERE

Old 30 May 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1314546)   #15
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
For another map with the turns identified click HERE
Turn 1 shown in wrong place on this map too by the way.