Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Mar 2001, 20:07 (Ref:72806)   #1
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is better? the ALMS or Grand-Am

After I visited Sebring I have a clear answer: Grand-Am
Not only do they produce better and more spectacular racing they have a evident numerical advantage and they keep the true racing spirit alive. the Grand-Am is slowly evolving which is good because to much progress for a championship is never good. Just look at the ALMS
Old 19 Mar 2001, 21:47 (Ref:72869)   #2
Racer X
Rookie

Racer X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well I like the idea of Grand am but it doesn't appeal to the manufactuers. The ALMS is also great but the field is mainly GT and GTS since the splitting of the series.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 22:02 (Ref:72874)   #3
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I supose it depends on what you look for but :confused:

The P car field in garra is barely bigger than that of ALMS, might be closer, when they actually finish a race. I mean, if you like watching GTS cars whip toe different and faster prototype classes, go ahead, for for garra. But come on, what ALMS lack in field size(in P only, note the GT races are the best in the sportscar world with the bmw v porsche rivalry AND the privateer vs factory m3 battle and GTS in each is comparable) they make up for in quality of entrants. At least the ALMS P cars can finish an endurance race. And the GTS class in garra is not really any better than ALMS, both are hurting right now. ALMS GTS could be very good quickly depnding on if any privateers run saleens or not, if they do, watch out, we've got another battle on our hands. But garra, you've got 3 cars, that's it. So that's no better tha alms. GT as I've said is comparable in both series, and P depends on what you like. If you want to watch 5 year old riley and scotts/kudzus with judds, I mean, go for garra. But ALMS is the only place for anything resmbling innovation and technology(as evidenced by the poor performance by all P teams in the 24 hrs). I don't mean to be harsh, but the P class in garra amounts to "historic" racing. One thing good about garra is it allows the privateers to compete for OA wins, but that could happen in ALMS very easily. Rafinelli almost it it if not for bad luck, and it happened back in 99 with dyson. Privateer entries is one thing ALMS has to step up and attract more of, but other than that, I think it is perfect

Last edited by Heeltoe6; 19 Mar 2001 at 22:18.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 23:51 (Ref:72913)   #4
meatballeyes
Rookie

meatballeyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you have got to be kidding me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Geva racing
Which is better? the ALMS or Grand-Am

After I visited Sebring I have a clear answer: Grand-Am
Not only do they produce better and more spectacular racing they have a evident numerical advantage and they keep the true racing spirit alive.
????????? what is so great about watching half crippled, six year old machines limp around the track until they blow up? what is so great about a set of rules that reward ancient machines with bigger air restrictors (r&s mkiii) and stiffle newer machines with smaller air restrictors?

granted, daytona was a good race. but for the second year straight the aging prototypes choked. what is so spectacular about a factory gts car taking the overall win?

lets talk about homestead. what was so spectacular about that race? do you really think that an ancient r&s mkiii is faster than a year old lola/judd?

why arent there many new srp cars in garra races? because having to suffer for bringing a new car is probably just as bad as trying to catch an audi with a lola in the alms.

i have nothing against garra, but i dont see the "spectacular" racing that you do. until garra gets some real prototypes that can last all race and beat the gts cars, ill save my money for sebring instead of daytona.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 23:44 (Ref:73169)   #5
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The ALMS is better by far. It has many top international drivers such as Pirro and Biela , Muller and Letto and many cars that you'll see at Le mans this year like the Audi's , Panoz , Corvette
Old 22 Mar 2001, 07:00 (Ref:73522)   #6
elan
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA
elan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you meat. Grand Am is simply a series created by the France family to retain control over the Rolex 24. Sebring (ALMS) had the largest crowd EVER to watch a sportscar race in the U.S. One report I saw said 100,000 another 160,000! The series will have many more entries after LeMans. Bently, Caddy, Chrysler all expected at Petite LeMans. Along with new customer Panoz or two.