Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Jan 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1820397)   #1
morrisnutter
Rookie

morrisnutter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1937 London Grand Prix

I recently bought a copy of SS_Collins's book "Motor racing at Crystal Palace" (Which is rather good). On page 28 there is a picture of this race, depicting an ERA in front of another car- No. 8. Can anyone tell me what this car might be (from programmes, or maybe looking at it if you have the book)?

Ideally I'd like to get some more pictures so that I can base my '35 Riley special bodywork on it.

Thanks.

Paul
Old 20 Jan 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1820485)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pleased you like it - Richard Paige (RAP) is the man with the answer his big book of Crystal Palace results covers this race so it should be pretty easy to find out the car type then some googling will sort it. Amazingly enough I don't have a copy of the book to hand so I can't tell you!

Since the publication of the book some more unpublished pictures have come to light so depending on sales there may be a revised edition.

By the way does anyone know where the winners trophy is from this race - theres a picture of Bira with it did he keep it?
Old 20 Jan 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1820491)   #3
morrisnutter
Rookie

Thanks for that. Do you have a copy of Paige's book? I've just had a look online and there is nothing on Bromley library and googling bears no fruit.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1820522)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We don't have Richard's book I'm afraid but I do have the programme next door but is in a box somewhere - Richard (RAP on here) also posts so sure he will be along shortly with the answer to your query!

If not will dig out the programme, have some old personal photographs from that race as well (Great Great Grandad commentated on it) but not sure if that particular car features.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1820525)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Pleased you like it - Richard Paige (RAP) is the man with the answer his big book of Crystal Palace results covers this race so it should be pretty easy to find out the car type then some googling will sort it. Amazingly enough I don't have a copy of the book to hand so I can't tell you!

Since the publication of the book some more unpublished pictures have come to light so depending on sales there may be a revised edition.

By the way does anyone know where the winners trophy is from this race - theres a picture of Bira with it did he keep it?
I don't have your book, Sam. And sadly I don't have 200 quid to spare for Richard's But I'd guess it's probably Percy Maclure's Riley. He was third in the final behind the ERAs of Bira and Connell. I have numbers for three of the ERAs: Bira was #17, Mays #5 and Dobson #16.

Chances are Bira either pawned the cup, flogged it or melted it down!!!

Last edited by Vitesse; 20 Jan 2007 at 21:52.

Bob Marley
Old 21 Jan 2007, 07:26 (Ref:1820718)   #6
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Number 8 was Jack Bartlett's Alta.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1820824)   #7
morrisnutter
Rookie

Fantastic! Thanks!

If anyone can give clues as to where I might find pictures of this, I'd be very keen to hear them

Cheers
Old 21 Jan 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1820829)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have you tried ss_collins' book? Not sure if will be in there, haven't looked.

I only have about ten of the personal photographs on the computer, and afraid #8 at CP isn't on there from 1937. I would look through the albums, but unfortunately they're in Washington. The photos I can look at here of CP in 37 are only a close up of the opening etc, not all the actual cars.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1820834)   #9
morrisnutter
Rookie

It was ss-collins's book where I first saw the car!

A friend of mine racers his pre-war Alta, so I've just emailed him in case he knows any more.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1820838)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Is it just the #8 car you're looking for then or the event in general?

Sorry did realise it was were you first saw the car but not sure what you're looking for now...
Old 21 Jan 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1820890)   #11
morrisnutter
Rookie

It's just car #8 that interests me at the mo.

Some pictures of the rear end would be very useful so that my chum might recreate it with his wheeling machine (if I like it)!!!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1821146)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't have your book, Sam.
Hmm hope you have a good excuse (a joke of course)
Old 28 Jan 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1827656)   #13
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can confirm #8 is Bartlett Alta chassis 57S. 6th in Heat. Non finisher in the final. Although I have three photos of this race in my book "A Record of Motor Racing at Crystal Palace" (thanks for the mention Sam - available from Formula One Register - enquiries@formulaoneregister.com), non show the Alta. The book does however give FULL details (entry/grid/results/lap chart) of this and every other race at Crystal Palace
Richard Page
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:05 (Ref:1827727)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
see told you he was good
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1827751)   #15
morrisnutter
Rookie

Thanks! Knowing the chassis number is also useful. I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend with the IFS Alta to see what he's found out about Bartletts car.

Cheers

Paul
Old 28 Jan 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1827816)   #16
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am no expert on Altas but 57S is what is usually called an "offset" single seater. Bartlett had it 37/38 then I think it went to Lord Avebury. If so it ran in the Crystal Palace Cup 13 Aug 38 (retired) and the Imperial Trophy 8 Oct 38 (Heat 8th, dnq Final). Apparently the car is now in Canada and has been "over the pond" for many years, perhaps since pre-WW2.
Richard Page