Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jul 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1965605)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaskell
Unfortunately, after making the trek all the way to Chimay I managed to lose the distributor drive teeth on the camshaft of my Anglia
even those of us that couldn't race and had to settle for the joys of chimay beer instead!
Welcome Adam, ( I think its Adam anyway ? and you brother Craig ?) any ideas how/why the cam gear let go ? normally the Distributor drive gives up first, very dissapointing for you however.

although I agree, Chimay is a great tonic in times of woe!

Last edited by zefarelly; 17 Jul 2007 at 14:38.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:21 (Ref:1965761)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John - we're out for our first race of the season at the Silverstone Classic in the Griff so if you're around it will be great to see you and other 10/10thers. Just taken it for it's MOT and having not raced it for 2 years myself, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it. The car's a beast on the road as it detests going under 70mph![/quote]

I was,nt aware of anywhere on the GP circuit that would seem quick at 70 Lak!
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:39 (Ref:1965773)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the right turn by the fence after scrutineering, sorry, safety check bay, is quite tight !
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1965778)   #29
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi LAK,

Yes, your old car looked fine & at least lasted the distance & kept out of trouble (I think!). Looks like Chimay is secure for the future so you should have an opportunity to return - unless you are planning on going to LM Classic next year. At the moment it's the same date....

All things being equal I shall be over for Silverstone Classic so will come & sek you out. After that it's Goodwood, Reims & Spa.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1965800)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
the right turn by the fence after scrutineering, sorry, safety check bay, is quite tight !

But only in an artic. Or did you mean in the paddock Zef?
Old 17 Jul 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1965825)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
in the paddock . . .behind pit lane end
Old 17 Jul 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1965834)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
in the paddock . . .behind pit lane end

Ah! But theres always the h/brake!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1966178)   #33
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for going a bit off topic ( ) but seeing as there are a few Falcon racers in the thread I thought I would take the chance to ask - what sort of race weights would they run at? I remember reading that they were homologated with a ridiculously low weight originally and I was wondering if anyone got near it?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 05:21 (Ref:1966258)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I havnt a clue on the weight John,but having done quite a bit of work on one years ago for Martin Thomas,I doe know they were carved up pretty brutally,lots of Fibre Panels,Inner front wings were very nearly not there!I,ll ask Martin what the weights were.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 06:52 (Ref:1966283)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I havnt a clue on the weight John,but having done quite a bit of work on one years ago for Martin Thomas,I doe know they were carved up pretty brutally,lots of Fibre Panels,Inner front wings were very nearly not there!I,ll ask Martin what the weights were.
Leo Voyazides car was pulled up by FIA for having all the fibre glass etc so I think that school of thought has changed!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 07:02 (Ref:1966285)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Knowing Martin ,I have no reason to disbelive that!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 07:35 (Ref:1966304)   #37
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone told me at Chimay that they were homologated at 950kg.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1966329)   #38
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Homologation1250 for the Falcon states the weight at 980 kg.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1966333)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Welcome back Jeremy,thank,s for that ,I cant get hold of Martin Thomas!!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1966364)   #40
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Homologated weight on form 1250 is 980Kg
Old 18 Jul 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1966365)   #41
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
May have been on Chimay beer number 3 when I was told 950!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1966397)   #42
amaskell
Rookie

amaskell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Welcome Adam, ( I think its Adam anyway ? and you brother Craig ?) any ideas how/why the cam gear let go ? normally the Distributor drive gives up first, very dissapointing for you however.

although I agree, Chimay is a great tonic in times of woe!
Hi Zef, It's Andy and my brother's Steve. Really not sure why the cam gear went. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. The car was fine on Friday when we arrived at Chimay but when i tried to start it on Saturday morning to warm it up before practice it would fire and not start. After much panicking and changing of condensor, rotor arm, plugs, disi cap etc and five laps of towing the car around the paddock it started. Unfortunately by this time i'd missed practice and had to go out in a different session. My brother went out and did a few laps then we changed and as soon as i pulled out of the pits it was misfiring and wouldn't pull more than 7500rpm. Further inspection showed that the rotor arm had about 30 degrees of free travel as the teeth had badly worn on the cam and hence the timing was all over the shop.
I'm wondering whther there is a blockage in the oil gallery. Anyone experienced anything similar?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1966693)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Appologies Andy!

I have notice oddly worn cam gear teeth, I put it down to badlly machined Distributor gear, but you'd expext after 40 years everyone would know the standard ! It could possible be the meshing position ? maybe the dissy sits too high or low in the block?

at least its nice to hear someone whos not running Electronic igniotion !!!!!!

Anyway, hopefully it will all be sorted for Spa if your all going ?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:52 (Ref:1966719)   #44
amaskell
Rookie

I find points bounce a good artificial rev limiter!!!!

Sadly won't be doing Spa this year as i'm moving house but will be out a lot more next year. I'll be thinking of you all there though...

One question Zef, what rear springs are you using? I have standard springs but with an extra leaf in but want to change them for two reasons, firstly all those leaves weighs a lot and secondly one of the springs has gone a little soft. I'm guessing that the cortina springs are the same size as Anglia ones?

Last edited by amaskell; 18 Jul 2007 at 17:54.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 02:47 (Ref:1967964)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Single Leaf Carbon Fibre !!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 03:06 (Ref:1967967)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What are you doing up at this hour?

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Can you run single leaf springs Andy? Also do you run the levar arm dampers or can you change to uprights?

I would have thought a soft spring with multi adjustable dampers would be a way forward.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:16 (Ref:1967983)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I,m worried about The Classic next weekend! .I also go through spell,s of not needing much sleep,unfortunatly ! Not sure but I think the Cortina springs are longer/wider,do you have to run multi leaf? Wheres Gordon when you need him???

Last edited by terence; 20 Jul 2007 at 04:22.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1968264)   #48
amaskell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I,m worried about The Classic next weekend! .I also go through spell,s of not needing much sleep,unfortunatly ! Not sure but I think the Cortina springs are longer/wider,do you have to run multi leaf? Wheres Gordon when you need him???
I have to run leaf springs, but the number of leaves is free. Sadly i have to run lever arms but am very furtunate to have a pair of adjustable lever arms from my fathers old superspeed car!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1968315)   #49
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaskell
I have to run leaf springs, but the number of leaves is free. Sadly i have to run lever arms but am very furtunate to have a pair of adjustable lever arms from my fathers old superspeed car!
Andy
I have a copy of the homologation papers here for the Anglia Super and the description of the rear suspension spring just says 'Semi-elliptic Leaf'. However, there is a photo (poor quality) of the rear axle which shows multi leaf springs. Would this not mean you would have to run multi leaf to comply? If yes, does it mean you also have to run the same number?
Peter Wray
Old 20 Jul 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1968390)   #50
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Chimay Trophy which was a bit of an all-comers race with some more modern cars on sticky rubber.
What's the regs for the Chimay trophy? Might I get in (even as a guest, to bulk up the grid) in an underpowered Caterham...?