Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1953731)   #1
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Albers could be out after Nurburgring?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...on_next_month/

Ok, my interpetation is a tad bit tabloid-ish with the thread title, but If I get the story right, it appears that after 45 races its time to show something and learning the main idea behind the lolipop would a seem to be a good start.

Do you think he deserves another (?) chance? Or if not, who would you think a good replacement would be? I think Valles' pace was partuculary good at testing and I do somehow feel he could surprise. German media on the otherhand talked about Winkelhock as a threat to Albers' seat after a few races into this season and Winkelhock isnt to bad either.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1953755)   #2
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...on_next_month/

Ok, my interpetation is a tad bit tabloid-ish with the thread title, but If I get the story right, it appears that after 45 races its time to show something and learning the main idea behind the lolipop would a seem to be a good start.

Do you think he deserves another (?) chance? Or if not, who would you think a good replacement would be? I think Valles' pace was partuculary good at testing and I do somehow feel he could surprise. German media on the otherhand talked about Winkelhock as a threat to Albers' seat after a few races into this season and Winkelhock isnt to bad either.
Albers doesn't deserve to be in F1. That much I have been saying since he moved to Midland and could barely keep up with Montiero. However, his Father in Law, Roel Kooijman, is one of the big financiers of Spyker.

Therefore, what with the concept of "nepotism" being far from unheard of in the Netherlands, Albers could probably run over Mol in his car and still be hired for next year.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1953815)   #3
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giedo van der Garde also has a father in law who paid a lot of money to Spyker and seems willing to invest even more. And there is allways the Verstappen rumor.....
Old 3 Jul 2007, 23:47 (Ref:1953820)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is always a Verstappen rumour. Somewhere, someone, will give him another go. Possibly.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 00:29 (Ref:1953827)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Albers leaving? Sounds like a plan..
Old 4 Jul 2007, 01:05 (Ref:1953834)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You mean Verstappen isn't still driving for Benetton?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 01:59 (Ref:1953844)   #7
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, you can only drive off with the fuel rig still attached to your car so many times before you get burned.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1954064)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sutil is obviously good but has been ahead of him by quite a margin most the time it appears, so they could certainly get someone who'll be quicker than him.

Van der Garde was world karting champ (without looking it up) I believe, so that bodes well. Will he get enough testing to be on the pace before he'd replace him though?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1954065)   #9
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Sutil is obviously good but has been ahead of him by quite a margin most the time it appears, so they could certainly get someone who'll be quicker than him.

Van der Garde was world karting champ (without looking it up) I believe, so that bodes well. Will he get enough testing to be on the pace before he'd replace him though?
Obviosly not. Spyker needs one experienced driver; Jos the Boss is the obvious choice
Old 4 Jul 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1954070)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er no.

Spyker needs a consistent driver and that may mean another rookie. Certainly they don't need a wrecker who apparently can't cope with the tyres. I thought it interesting that Mol compared Spyker's situation with McLaren.

Sutil does look the bisiness though.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1954085)   #11
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Obviosly not. Spyker needs one experienced driver; Jos the Boss is the obvious choice
please not that old chessnut again

someone younger please
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1954095)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDK 7
please not that old chessnut again
No, you're thinking of Gary Kasparov there.

I'd like to see Yelmur Buurman get the drive. He probably isn't experienced enough, but he's Dutch, he's quick, and he's ragged as hell.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1954122)   #13
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be ironic if the man who was almost toast is replaced by the man who was
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1954126)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He was karting world champion, but he had a good mechanic/coach at the time, a certain mr. Verstappen

and this is how bad it's going for Albers: Adrian Sutil has a diary on a Dutch F1 site(formule1.nl) where he says that His times where's that good in the beginning of the race because he was stuck behind Albers and that his times improved much after passing him.

and he's right about that: after passing Albers Sutil was 9 tenths a lap faster.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1954128)   #15
flying finn
Racer

Australia
Sydney Australia
flying finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
much more interesting from the article is this "aggressive driving style ..... doesn't work well with the current Bridgestone tyres. The new tyres, which are a lot slower than the race rubber from last year, are not suited to rough treatment."

This could also be a reason why both Alonso (with his early turn in to corners) and Raikkonen (generally racy style) are having troubles with their smoother team mates.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1954129)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I'd like to see Yelmur Buurman get the drive. He probably isn't experienced enough, but he's Dutch, he's quick, and he's ragged as hell.
WHAT??? yelmer buurman??? dear god no. the only thing he's good for is looking at. he's reasonably fast, but nothing special. certainly no better than van der garde, at least not yet.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1954131)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
I think they should hire Jos, but not as a GP driver but as a testdriver and as a mentor to the young talents they should have in the cars(like Sutil)
Old 4 Jul 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1954138)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
WHAT??? yelmer buurman??? dear god no. the only thing he's good for is looking at. he's reasonably fast, but nothing special. certainly no better than van der garde, at least not yet.
Entertainment value.

He's the Dutch Gilles Villeneuve.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1954182)   #19
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Entertainment value.

He's the Dutch Gilles Villeneuve.
More like the Dutch Paul Tracy with his trackside fights, definitely a personality to avoid. Also, fast? Team-mate James Jake seems faster to me.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1954184)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
More like the Dutch Paul Tracy with his trackside fights, definitely a personality to avoid. Also, fast? Team-mate James Jake seems faster to me.
Trackside fights? Tell me more.

Sounds like Greg Mansell.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1954202)   #21
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
There was two tests I recall (might have been three) where both him and Valles was on duty, Valles always went faster. He seems like a better choice to me for more than one reason, he won races in Spanish Formula Junior races by lapping the field which is not everyday in one-make formulee. Also, first ever GP2 race, massive pace, well-deserved podium. Fair enough what came afterwards was anything but promising, I still tend to belive there was some reasonable explanation to that tho.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1954227)   #22
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been following Albers from the beginning, I was there when he won the german F3 championship so always tried to tell my friends that Albers is a very good driver also considering his performances in DTM (remember that brilliant overtake on Estirol) I would say he surely deserves a seat in F1. However I begin to get some serious doubts as he just doesn't perform,.

However I like his aggressive driving style a lot and as said before that might be his problem with the tyres. Beside that he's a very sympathetic guy who never beats around the bush. Just something F1 needs with all drivers behaving like trained monkeys.

However I would say bring on Doornbos he beat Bourdais and is at the top of the champ car championship. Surely he must be better than Liuzzi or Speed?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1954271)   #23
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtiejjj
who never beats around the bush.
you are kidding right??

this season he's blamed his lack of speed on everything but himself, he even claimed he was 22nd in qualifying because he was held up by traffic!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 15:19 (Ref:1954298)   #24
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Trackside fights? Tell me more.

Sounds like Greg Mansell.
Yea it was live on Tv too, FRenault Eurocup few years ago, he ran towards the guy and pushed him, of course both with the helmet on, still, no good.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1954308)   #25
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Beside that he's a very sympathetic guy who never beats around the bush. Just something F1 needs with all drivers behaving like trained monkeys.
face it, Albers is a crybaby. Terribly sore loser who indeed talks about traffic and how tires are favouring his rookie team-mate day in day out. Learning a new tire / adopting to a new tire, where is the big diff in that? Also, if you're a pro, you should be a pro in both.

Quote:
However I would say bring on Doornbos he beat Bourdais and is at the top of the champ car championship. Surely he must be better than Liuzzi or Speed?

I dont think too many in the Red Bull camp was convienced that Doornbos is better than Liuzzi or Speed. His management admited that he was in the run for one of the STR seats during most of the off-season, and unlike Speed or Liuzzi, he was even capable of brining some cash instead of taking it out of Mateschitz' pocket.

What he does in Champcar tho is absolutely brilliant and hardly expected I think, so yeah doesnt sound too bad of a choice. I never thought he was anything special or better than the current STR duo for that matter, but it's time to think again perhaps, his overseas plan worked out perfectly.