Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3753508)   #51
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Can't they shove a LS Chev into the thing?
They would still have to sleeve it, de-stroke it, or both to shrink it down to 5 litres.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 01:30 (Ref:3753667)   #52
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the v6 isn't 5 litres, so don't think that matters anymore?

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Jul 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3753703)   #53
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Harder. View Post
Well the v6 isn't 5 litres, so don't think that matters anymore?
If Supercars were a bit (read lot) more forthcoming about the rules being applied instead of being all cloak and dagger, then we would know. There has been absolutely NO talk of anyone introducing a new V8, not even Ford with a Coyote, so my guess is the V8 rules don't change.

All I could find about the V6TT was a proposed capacity limit of 3.85lt, so if the GM motor is still 3.6lt then it seems a range of capacities will be allowed so long as the motor meets the VASC power parity requirements.

I don't know if V8s of alternate capacities will be allowed because the rules are hidden.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3753706)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
If Supercars were a bit (read lot) more forthcoming about the rules being applied instead of being all cloak and dagger, then we would know. There has been absolutely NO talk of anyone introducing a new V8, not even Ford with a Coyote, so my guess is the V8 rules don't change.

All I could find about the V6TT was a proposed capacity limit of 3.85lt, so if the GM motor is still 3.6lt then it seems a range of capacities will be allowed so long as the motor meets the VASC power parity requirements.

I don't know if V8s of alternate capacities will be allowed because the rules are hidden.
I am imagining the configuration is irrelevant as long as the cumulative power across the data points is identical to the control targets.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Jul 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3753716)   #55
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I am imagining the configuration is irrelevant as long as the cumulative power across the data points is identical to the control targets.
Yes, a Chrysler 300 with the 8.4L V10 from the Viper would be a certain fan favourite.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3753719)   #56
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Yes, a Chrysler 300 with the 8.4L V10 from the Viper would be a certain fan favourite.
Yes please!

Old 23 Jul 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3753722)   #57
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dessert

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Can you fit that inside the dimensions of the standard spec engine space?

And find some kind of Chrysler to slot it into (Viper is being discontinued soon)
Old 23 Jul 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3753779)   #58
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Can you fit that inside the dimensions of the standard spec engine space?
It's a 6ish L pushrod (so compact cylinder heads) v8 with 2 extra cylinders tacked on, so I would say probably.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3753813)   #59
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It's all marketing.
I was just saying exactly the same thing on another forum - people are sucked in the by the 888 hype and they had their favourite media puppet Lowndes to do it - he is not good enough to be in the main team but good enough to do all their media rounds

and it has whipped people into a frenzy, old Roland would be sitting in a corner rubbing his (financial) hands together
Old 23 Jul 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3753831)   #60
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
If Supercars were a bit (read lot) more forthcoming about the rules being applied instead of being all cloak and dagger, then we would know. There has been absolutely NO talk of anyone introducing a new V8, not even Ford

The current rules are of course on the VASC website & I seem to recall releases and further info on the V6TT that mentioned engine capacity.

There are specification documents that only teams get but I actually think that VASC has been quite open about the rules for some time now, rather than the rules being hidden.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 02:49 (Ref:3753862)   #61
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They've opened up engine variations (max 5000cc), and bodyshapes. That's the only incoming rule change.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 03:08 (Ref:3753864)   #62
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
They've opened up engine variations (max 5000cc), and bodyshapes. That's the only incoming rule change.
Don't think I've read anything about a 5 litre cap - Not doubting you but got a link?

Old 24 Jul 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3753866)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Don't think I've read anything about a 5 litre cap - Not doubting you but got a link?

Think you are correct on that

Gen2 Supercar Regulations explained

Quote:
be powered by an engine configuration, be that 4, 6 or 8 cylinder (or other) that does not exceed the Supercars accumulated engine power output and weighted average;
Old 24 Jul 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3753875)   #64
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Think you are correct on that

Gen2 Supercar Regulations explained
It also says in the linked document
Quote:
The 2017 blueprint opens up the way for smaller turbo-charged six or four cylinder engines to compete alongside the current V8 engines.
Although that is a marketing document and not a set of rules, it talks about the current 5.0 litre engines, then of smaller FI engines being permitted to run against the current engines. Sounds like a 5 litre cap doesn't it?
Old 24 Jul 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3753877)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Sounds like a 5 litre cap doesn't it?
No mention of a Cap

does not even limit from a v10

only mention is

Quote:
accumulated engine power output and weighted average;
The truth is that now it is a case of checking with sueprcars if you want to introduce a motor, and then meet the basic requirements as quoted. everything is on the table
Old 24 Jul 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3753881)   #66
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
No mention of a Cap

does not even limit from a v10

only mention is

The truth is that now it is a case of checking with sueprcars if you want to introduce a motor, and then meet the basic requirements as quoted. everything is on the table
Again, that IS only a marketing document that you linked but all it says about alternative motors is that smaller capacity FI motors can join the existing (5 litre) V8 motors.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:19 (Ref:3753894)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Again, that IS only a marketing document that you linked but all it says about alternative motors is that smaller capacity FI motors can join the existing (5 litre) V8 motors.
No the article says engine configuration is "open" in the diagram at the top

That bit you mentioned is just the author describing some potential options
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3753896)   #68
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
No the article says engine configuration is "open" in the diagram at the top

That bit you mentioned is just the author describing some potential options
Jeez Pecky - you're grabbing at straws there - the articles says existing V8s with smaller capacity 4 or 6 cyl FI engines added. Configuration (inline or vee or horizontally opposed or whatever) is different to capacity. Capacity (current 5 litre engines) is what was brought up in this discussion.
Again, a marketing article including a marketing diagram - not a rules set, not regulations so no point looking for loopholes in it.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3753898)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Actually its an article written by a journalist.

But nothing on that page says limited to 5l, happy for you to find something

Last edited by peckstar; 24 Jul 2017 at 08:42.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3753906)   #70
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
- the articles says existing V8s with smaller capacity 4 or 6 cyl FI engines added. Configuration (inline or vee or horizontally opposed or whatever)
Rotary anyone?
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3753908)   #71
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Actually its an article written by a journalist.

But nothing on that page says limited to 5l, happy for you to find something
Explained that already, not going to keep repeating myself. Fill your boots mate, I've said as much as I can on this point.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3753909)   #72
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the semantics horse needs to go back into the stables.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3753910)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Explained that already, not going to keep repeating myself. Fill your boots mate, I've said as much as I can on this point.
No you havent, you have used some fill by a journo who never mentions capacity and have ignored the black letter

The race car version must:

be powered by an engine configuration, be that 4, 6 or 8 cylinder (or other) that does not exceed the Supercars accumulated engine power output and weighted average;

that is the only regulation i can find regarding engines ,

No where do the regulations limit capacity, its not even referred too, unless you have some other source
Old 24 Jul 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3753914)   #74
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Rotary anyone?
Could be interesting! No reason why they couldn't conceptually, would need a rewrite of the rules around engine modifications and the like..

Braap braap braap...
Old 24 Jul 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3753919)   #75
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Rotary anyone?
Yay!