Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 24 Nov 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2795255)   #1
apg100
Rookie

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
apg100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to Formula Ford

Hi,

I need some help. I am looking to join the FF series with a friend of mine and am unsure of exactly where to start.

We have both done bits of racing before, but nothing too serious.

We are unsure if we should start in the Kent or the Zetec series, or which cars to buy.

We have a budget of around £8k each for the car (including engine if possible) and have other funds for the rest of the kit we will need (most of which is already bought), but looking on the internet and getting mixed up with which cars to buy and which engine to have.

My friend raced in FF 12 or so years ago so is uncertain of most of the changes, but does have an outside knowledge.

I would appreciate help with the following questions:

Were is the best place to buy cars? (We are in Yorkshire.)
Which cars are the best to start in?
Should we go for Kent or Zetec?
Does anyone have any cars for sale?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2795276)   #2
apg100
Rookie

England
Having just read through another post on here 'oh no, another newby', it has now posed another question.

I am 36 and 15 stone, I don't for one second think I am going to be able to beat 17 year old, 9 stone kids. Would I be better joining the Formula Vee series?
Old 24 Nov 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2795344)   #3
Tailgate
Rookie

United Kingdom
NE England
Tailgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andrew,

I am that newbie ! I felt obliged to reply as a lot of folk replied to my post, all very helpful. In fact everyone I've had contact with have been enthusiastic and helpful. I ended up with a Zetec Mygale, so obviously I've leaned towards the Zetec fraternity, they have been very supportive and encouraging so that's a big plus.

Firstly I wouldn't worry too much about age, for what its worth I'm a good bit older than you and just starting out. I understand someone's size may result in an issue with different makes of cars so that may influence what you buy but its fair to say there is a good spread of ages racing FF.

Regarding the engine choice, there are more race options with Kent compared to Zetec but I also believe they are more fragile and may well require regular rebuilds (costly), the Zetec is virtually a standard engine so should give a good number of seasons racing without letting you down or causing you to empty your wallet, something to consider. You could always convert the car at a later date from Zetec to Kent if you fancied a change.

I was very tempted to go the classic route, partly due to my own vintage but also because I liked the look of chrome wishbones etc but I suspect you'd have to spend a lot more money, something I didn't want to do when just starting out.

When it comes to buying a car there some dealers who I'm sure will help, who knows you may get some offers from your post, I would have thought the closed season may well be when some people give up or change class so keep your eye's peeled on the net.

Finally, there are lot more knowledgeable folk on here than me to suggest options for you and your friend, it might pay to attend some meetings before committing to a car or do some arrive and drive, however, I think you should both buy a Zetec......but I would say that wouldn't I !!

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions, incidentally I'm in the North East..........

Dave.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2795364)   #4
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Value for money the zetec route is the best option. The engines will run for several thousand miles before needing a rebuild. You can race them in the 750 Motorclub F4 championship or the Monoposto 1800 class. £8K will get you a very good car, if you are not a teenage stick insect the later Van Diemens, ie after 98, will be better and easier to drive as the chassis are quite wide. A couple of seasons ago I sold a Van Diemen RF98 complete with a Pi data logger and nearly enough spares to build another complete car for £6.5k, that car went onto win the 750 F4 zetec class two years running. Try contacting Mike Gardner Racing, Mike seems to be able to source good cars at the right price.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2795382)   #5
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, look at Vees, for £8k you can buy the championship winning car from 09! Theres plenty of good cars for sale at the mo for anything between £4k and £8k. Though if you are a little larger you will probably find a Storm is better than a GAC for you.. Check out www.veecentre.com for details..
Old 24 Nov 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2795435)   #6
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
dulon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me just put a bid in for the classic guys and the kent engine brigade.

I had a look round this summer, and got a great reception from the Classic formula ford club members so ran out and bought a car. Then attended the last couple of meetings this year. The classic cars are very reasonable cost and the kent engine is used in so many other motorsport areas, they suggest every couple of seasons as a rebuild if you want the car to be at the top of its game. My experience of these guys is that you can practically turn up with the car in bits in the back of the van and they all rally round to make sure you get out on the track!

Whatever you do, research first, especially during the closed season, there are lots of people out there that will help you. I recommend you visit the classic site and drop them an email with your contact details and one of the members in your area will offer his help. Youll find them at :-
www.classicformulaford.com

There is a thread running about the classes for next year on here at the moment.
Hope to see you both out there next year, good luck.

B.T.W. if you want to chat over my early experiences feel free to contact me.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2795538)   #7
apg100
Rookie

England
Thank you so far, my ears are still open to opinion.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2795619)   #8
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the next question is do you want to travel the country every other weekend or do you want to race local. If you want to try different circuits then 750mc F4 should be worth a look. If you want to stay within a couple of hours from home then North West Formula Ford should be looked at as they have 5 races at Oulton Park, 2 at Anglesey and 1 at Donington.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2795623)   #9
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
I'll pm you contact details of someone you need to have a chat with, and also put you in contact with a pair of VD79's (with spares) at £6,500 each so that you could both have the same car.

Also be aware that the classics are doing a hillclimb next year at Harewood Hill as a mid season get together (not far from you?)
Old 25 Nov 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2795631)   #10
apg100
Rookie

England
I think for the first year. we probably want to stay 'up North'.

We aren't intending doing much more than 8/8 races in the first year, as we need to get some test day practice in, with what ever we buy.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2795635)   #11
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFZetec

As Tailgate & Barry said FFZetec is the place of you and your friend.

There is no one younger than you racing in FFZetec may be Paul but he's converting his car to F4 class A for 2011.

We race purely for fun, we race hard but fairly,we don't force each other of the road unlike some drivers in other series. I speak from experience and from what I still see.

In 2010 the following drivers have won every Zetec race we have raced in (Mono1800, F4, SEMSEC and the Festival) myself, Matt, Julian, Pete Bragg (Neil Festival heat). We are all well over 36 and myself and Matt are no light weights

There is a good SJ01 currently forsale and a couple of very good engines.
I also know of another SJ01 and an SJ00/01 that might be for sale soon.

A newbie just bought a complete 2000 car that could easily win for alot less than £8K.

We have 3 newbies out next year.

We are a friendly helpful bunch, I set a fellow drivers car up a for him at Thruxton as he was struggling, only for him to sit on my gearbox and set the fastest lap!

PM or email me for more details.

PS I have a classic FF1600 Ray 80F for sale so I am not biase!

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 25 Nov 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2795645)   #12
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by apg100 View Post
I think for the first year. we probably want to stay 'up North'.

We aren't intending doing much more than 8/8 races in the first year, as we need to get some test day practice in, with what ever we buy.
You can pick all the nothern and midlands rounds from both F4 and Mono1800 plus Anglesea and Croft normally has some open races. Anglesea, Oulton, Croft, Mallory Silverstone, Rockingham. Couple of visits to each would give you a good season.

Old 25 Nov 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2795676)   #13
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a kent car, but I have to say, those Zetecs are some value for money.

Nothing to touch them for VFM. And quite a selection of races.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2795788)   #14
apg100
Rookie

England
Okay, we are getting a bit closer to knowing which way to go now.

Thank you everyone for your help.

We are leaning towards FFZetec, as we would prefer lower running cost and maintenance.

So now it's just down to finding the correct car.

It would be great to go and see some in action. Are there any test days that will have some there, over the next few weeks? I also think I should go and sit in some, to try them out for size.

We are both 5"10/5"11", I weigh 15 stone and would class myself as a larger build (not a fat git, but I like a beer)

After reading other comments, on other post, is the RF98/99 the widest car, or is the SJ00/01 better for us?

We could really do with some email addresses for anyone that is selling (within the £8k budget). I can be messaged through this site or email to andrew@westyorkshirewindows.com

Thanks again for any help.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2795813)   #15
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a race meeting at Anglesey circuit on Sunday, 28 November and Formula Fords are on the race card so you could always go there.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2795986)   #16
marcmercer
Rookie

marcmercer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I until recently was having the same dilema as yourself - similar budget and wondering what kind of single seater to go for.

I've actually gone with a classic FF2000. There are a few RF82s for sale at very good prices at the moment.

Each of the classes seem to have their merits over one another - but it may be another class worth considering?
Old 26 Nov 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2796107)   #17
apg100
Rookie

England
Hi,

Does anyone know how many people raced in the 2010 Zetec series?

I have been getting report that it struggled to get 10 or more there. Is this correct?
Old 26 Nov 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2796240)   #18
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
The classic kents were an average of 18 over the race year, topping out at 24 at the snetterton double, with cars coming over from holland. Have you seen the thread about the additional races for the 80's kents next year ?.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2796837)   #19
vanrf81
Rookie

vanrf81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how many people raced in the 2010 Zetec series?

I have been getting report that it struggled to get 10 or more there. Is this correct?
Hi Andrew
there is no such thing a s zetec series, the choice is F4 with the 750 motor club where you race against much faster slicks and wings cars (and incidentally they only had one northern meeting this year at Cadwell) or Monoposto where again you race against slicks and wings, they had 2 northern meetings - Croft and Oulton.

The formula ford festival takes place every Oct at Brands Hatch - the festival has been going for over 40 years and attracts good grids of Kent cars, the zetecs were also at the festival this year and managed a grand total of 10 cars for their competition (which is an improvement on previous years when it has had to be cancelled due to lack of interest)
Old 28 Nov 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2796883)   #20
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Umfortunately the festival clashed with the last Mono1800 round and F4 rounds so we had cars racing in 3 races on the same day.

For number look at Mono1800 grids

I have sent you the calender for 2011

We have 3 more Zetec cars racing in 2011 if you join that will be 5 new cars out.

Old 29 Nov 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2797083)   #21
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J Motorsport View Post
Umfortunately the festival clashed with the last Mono1800 round and F4 rounds so we had cars racing in 3 races on the same day.

For number look at Mono1800 grids

I have sent you the calender for 2011

We have 3 more Zetec cars racing in 2011 if you join that will be 5 new cars out.
Mono cars will never race at the festival as the regs dont match. You can do things to your cars in Mono that a standard zetec cant. As you should know john
Old 29 Nov 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2797240)   #22
fox91
Rookie

fox91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from Someone looking To get into racing myself.
I would suggest looking at an older Kent car that can be found for your budget And competing in the pre90 championship at oulton.

My reason for this is because in my opinion if you are spending all that money, you want to be in a strong field of 20+ cars that are all as capable of winning as the next.
My opinion on Zetec is that you can buy an extremely 'good' car cheap for a reason, there is no demand.

Formula ford Festival saw a bumper Kent grid and the Walter Hayes is one of if not the best race meeting on the calendar in club motor sport.

I know where I would spend my money.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2797249)   #23
apg100
Rookie

England
Fox91, have you bought yet?
Old 29 Nov 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2797254)   #24
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2011 Mono calendar has been published and includes 1 weekend, two races at Anglesey, one day at Oulton Park and 1 weekend at Cadwell Park. Croft isn't on the calendar this year.

I know one winged car is moving up to 2000, so the main protagonists for Mono1800 will be in conventional cars.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2797273)   #25
pd88
Rookie

pd88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,

I need some help. I am looking to join the FF series with a friend of mine and am unsure of exactly where to start.

We have both done bits of racing before, but nothing too serious.

We are unsure if we should start in the Kent or the Zetec series, or which cars to buy.

We have a budget of around £8k each for the car (including engine if possible) and have other funds for the rest of the kit we will need (most of which is already bought), but looking on the internet and getting mixed up with which cars to buy and which engine to have.

My friend raced in FF 12 or so years ago so is uncertain of most of the changes, but does have an outside knowledge.

I would appreciate help with the following questions:

Were is the best place to buy cars? (We are in Yorkshire.)
Which cars are the best to start in?
Should we go for Kent or Zetec?
Does anyone have any cars for sale?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.
I would give serious consideration to Historic FF2000 (www.historicff2000.co.uk) we had 44 cars at Silverstone, top circuits and meetings or Classic FF2000 great value and great cars to drive (www.universalracing.co.uk)

Tags
formula ford, single seater