Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Dec 2010, 02:41 (Ref:2806179)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will someone from VESA PLEASE send Peter McKay a Christmas Present??

Story Here

Maybe we could start a pool on how many times Mr McKay will smash V8Supercars in a given year?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 02:48 (Ref:2806180)   #2
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where are VESA going to get a box of sunshine from??
Old 19 Dec 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2806182)   #3
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Tony stopped making stupid comments, McKay wouldn't have anything to write about.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 03:32 (Ref:2806185)   #4
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could it be that amongst the habitual vitriol PMcK sets aside especially for the V8SuperCircus, he might - just every now and again - have a point?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 03:32 (Ref:2806186)   #5
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
If Tony stopped making stupid comments, McKay wouldn't have anything to write about.
Yeah that !

Nice comparison with the Football World Cup Tony, the ego is becoming of "Murph" proportions.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2806189)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
could it be that amongst the habitual vitriol PMcK sets aside especially for the V8SuperCircus, he might - just every now and again - have a point?
Sure, but is the solution to this to have a smack at the series, at the promoters, to the public at every opportunity almost suggesting that anyone who goes is getting royally screwed on some level??
Old 19 Dec 2010, 04:47 (Ref:2806192)   #7
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But McKay has a valid point! Cochrane's remarks are just ridiculous. Exporter?? Give me a break. And the taxpayers of various states do contribute to his botrom line, in no small way.

Maybe it's Cochrane who should have a cold shower...
Old 19 Dec 2010, 04:54 (Ref:2806193)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You mean just like the state governments and local councils building sporting stadiums so AFL/NRL/A League/NBA/Hockey/Cricket/Tiddliewinks can play games each week?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 05:28 (Ref:2806197)   #9
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You mean just like the state governments and local councils building sporting stadiums so AFL/NRL/A League/NBA/Hockey/Cricket/Tiddliewinks can play games each week?
But there's far more public interest in the football codes than in the V8's.......it's only the headlights that represent the brands afterall.........isn't it?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2806198)   #10
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Where are VESA going to get a box of sunshine from??
How about a horse's head as a present. Not defending Cochrane, but
Mckay has had his panties in a bunch about V8's for over a decade.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2806206)   #11
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
But there's far more public interest in the football codes than in the V8's.......
The football codes yes for the most part, but other sports/arts programs get fairly decent government support for comparable public interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
it's only the headlights that represent the brands afterall.........isn't it?
It's disingenuous to claim a "racing car" doesn't represent the brand because it is not identical to the road going model.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2806209)   #12
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
It's disingenuous to claim a "racing car" doesn't represent the brand because it is not identical to the road going model.
I was being facetious.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2806217)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One could argue that McKay is sticking up for the enthusiast, the one forgotten about generally these days....

Would we prefer every journalist just kissed arse?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2806222)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Big difference between building a permanent stadium for the community to use 365 days a year and government money being spent to build a temporary track which is pulled apart as soon as the event is finished that benefits no one for 360 days of the year (except the people paid to assemble & disassemble things).

McKay has had a bee in his bonnet since his V8 series accreditation was pulled several years ago but the trouble is, for VE$A, he usually has some very valid points.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2806232)   #15
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes it's True, but a least you get to see something all year round. Not when it suits them, not when you have Govt's shelling out sheckles foe a three day event, not when you can get up 100,000 punters for a one day event , with out having to manipulate the figures.

Yes Mackay has a point, and Tony has street races. go figure. Not enough racing on permanent tracks and too sooky V8 Supercars co owners, the teams, we cant run every four weeks. boo hoo. With Tony the gob spokesman, well what else can you say.

All the best for Xmas Peter and keep up the good work
Old 19 Dec 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2806240)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
One could argue that McKay is sticking up for the enthusiast, the one forgotten about generally these days....

Would we prefer every journalist just kissed arse?
Actually no, but if VESA cant see that this myopic viewpoint is damaging their brand, then there is a larger issue here.

I don't recall being able to sit in a corporate area in the Group A days.. why? Because there wasn't one unless you rented a space and a tent and catered it yourself!

That Mr McKay seems to have a real issue with the corporates coming to the events is something else VESA need to work on...

They surely cant be working on the hope that he will get bored & move on, I think we are at least a dozen years past that possibility

Old 19 Dec 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2806246)   #17
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just keep ripping it up em Mr. McKay.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2806247)   #18
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comparison with the Football World Cup and V8 Supercar that's being the latest hype from the powers, must mean it's bigger than Ben Hur so the money must be rolling in.

It would be great for all those UN paid officials and volunteers to get a small slice as without them there's no racing.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2806253)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't recall being able to sit in a corporate area in the Group A days.. why? Because there wasn't one unless you rented a space and a tent and catered it yourself!
Cant say I am that fussed on watching races from corporate areas.

Can't argue with McKay on the latest article, he makes factual and common sense comments - something that Phelps can only dream of.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 00:33 (Ref:2806376)   #20
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wrong

I was working for Shell during the Group A days and I remember DJ coming in the big corparate tent at PI and giving his standard joke what is warm and steamey and comes out of Cowes ? The PI Ferry.

There was also the former Shell employees Tom Smith, Bob Glindeman & Ross Brodie all floating around.

I also worked for Orix during the 2 litre years and it was no different down in Victoria then
Old 20 Dec 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2806381)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Corporate tent? Most excellent. How abput permanrnt facilities? I sat in the Freightliner tent with WGR at Oran Park, and it was a tent...

There has always been some level of corporate hospitality, but nowhere the size currently. Does this suggest the corporates are interested in the sport perhaps?

Or is that a bad thing too?
Old 20 Dec 2010, 02:02 (Ref:2806398)   #22
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
jason7253 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He comments about state Goverments getting screwed over I think they do that them self.Here in Tassie the input for Symmons compaired to AFL is minimal.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2806400)   #23
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter's been on an anti-V8 crusade for 15 years. He never really got over the Super Tourers losing the 'war'. His problem is that over the years the crusade has simply become more and more fanatical.

I like Peter, know him personally and agree with a lot of what he writes. But there's no mistaking that everything V8 is written with a negative slant. He's almost like a political opposition party - argue against everything.

V8SA have been pigs in their treatment of him at times - but it has to be said that if there's no chance of having anything positive or even balanced in his coverage of their events - why should they make an effort towards him.

As far as the 'taxpayer cost' - the difference between infrastructure for sporting codes and the temporary facilities for street races - the cost of permanent stadiums, race tracks etc are absorbed over decades and generally return a profit and are multi-sport and often multi-use (ie: Rock concerts). The facilities are often used for corporate events etc, so there are multi-revenue streams.

Street races are recurring costs for events that very rarely return an operational profit.

Traditionally, the economic stimulus of having a major event has made the annual cost worthwhile for certain events - Clipsal and, in years gone by, Indy are excellent examples.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 03:32 (Ref:2806419)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Support for the various football codes filters down to grass roots level and the managers at the of the other major sports are also the managers of the sport at community level and for children.

V8 Supercar is not, and Cochrane is famously on record denying any responsibility towards lower levels of the sport.

Those big stadia are a facility in use by many. Those big street circuits are not.

All that having been said, how hard would it be to be less combative towards some critics when rewards could be there?

The flip side of that is to doubt Cochrane's style of management is to doubt Cochrane himself. How much pain is worth all the other things Cochrane brings to the sport? So far all an sundry seem more than happy with the balance.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 03:39 (Ref:2806421)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7253 View Post
He comments about state Goverments getting screwed over I think they do that them self.Here in Tassie the input for Symmons compaired to AFL is minimal.
And yet the AFL continue to treat Tasmania like dirt. Donation home games from Hawthorn. Gold Coast and Western Sydney considered ahead of Tasmania, pure AFL heartland, for an AFL team?

More so that any other state in Australia, except for the Northern Territory, V8 Supercar have been equal or better value than other sporting codes.