Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Apr 2016, 00:51 (Ref:3635801)   #151
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Seriously....who buys magazines these days?
Me

Auto Action, Australian Muscle Car, MotorSport, AMCN, Motorsport Legends, the odd edition of V8X, Autosport & Wheels etc....

Very sad news, i've been buying AA weekly since I was in my teens. Over the last 18-24 months the quality of the mag had been on the up too, it was no longer "V8 Action" as it got the moniker of in the early 2000s

A shame too for the national scene, AA always gave it great coverage.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 01:38 (Ref:3635805)   #152
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
What Magazines/Websites/Writers Do You Read? (Merged x2)

Me too.

I don't buy a lot of Motorsport mags because in my mind they're not good enough. Australian Muscle Car and Motorsport being the exceptions. Autosport is ok but you might as well name it F1 Magazine because thats what it tends to be and pay lip service to everything else. I brought Auto Fiction religiously fifteen years ago but not for a decade have I brought a issue. I'm sad to see the mag go because it is our principal auto racing mag. But on the other hand it's quality has gone downhill over the last decade so I'm not overly sad. I'm more sad that people will lose their jobs and that's the real tragedy.

I buy mags not for news but more so for articles, discussion, interviews reviews etc hence why I still buy mags like EVO and Top Gear, Motorsport and Australian Muscle car.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3635943)   #153
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our local newsagent can only secure two copies of AutoAction, any requests for additional copies is knocked back.

I wonder whether a smaller local media operator took it back over it may be viable?

What about Stonie's cartoons?
Old 23 Apr 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3635956)   #154
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should've become what SpeedCafe is. Sadly it's 5-6 years too late.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 04:18 (Ref:3635968)   #155
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The now retrenched AA staff have done the V8 race programs.Wonder what will happen there?
Old 24 Apr 2016, 05:53 (Ref:3635972)   #156
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be a great base for a certain multi-category manager to have distribution into the market with a known brand name..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Apr 2016, 07:09 (Ref:3635978)   #157
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a time that I never missed an AA and I bought it as early as possible, but they've gone from the dominant player to extinct, and I think there are a few mis-steps along the way:
  • Their subscription delivery was always woefully late
  • They should have moved to some sort of electronic magazine like Mnews and pushed traffic to a website
  • Since their rise of the digital platforms their publishing cycle made them even more out of date than they should have been, I simply could never fathom it. Reading about races two weeks later isn't something I'm gonna pay for...
Old 25 Apr 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3636208)   #158
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
There was a time that I never missed an AA and I bought it as early as possible, but they've gone from the dominant player to extinct, and I think there are a few mis-steps along the way:
  • Their subscription delivery was always woefully late
  • They should have moved to some sort of electronic magazine like Mnews and pushed traffic to a website
  • Since their rise of the digital platforms their publishing cycle made them even more out of date than they should have been, I simply could never fathom it. Reading about races two weeks later isn't something I'm gonna pay for...
100% agree with all points.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 02:08 (Ref:3636392)   #159
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AA website not updated for a couple of days now, and even when it was on Monday it was just links to (awesome) videos.

I'd hope that if Bauer do shut the mag down that the website is maintained, or bought and taken over by someone else. Be nice to think there would be a second real Australian motorsport source that would show some independence in reporting.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3636412)   #160
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Be nice to think there would be a second real Australian motorsport source that would show some independence in reporting.
+1
Old 28 Apr 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3636852)   #161
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Action 1687 in some newsagents today.

No mention of it being the final edition.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3636855)   #162
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good discussion about AA on Inside Supercars with Mark Fogarty and Garry O’Brien
http://www.insidesupercars.com.au/?p=1840

Would be a shame to lose an independent voice, hope the rescue bid comes off
Old 28 Apr 2016, 13:52 (Ref:3636902)   #163
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Good discussion about AA on Inside Supercars with Mark Fogarty and Garry O’Brien
http://www.insidesupercars.com.au/?p=1840

Would be a shame to lose an independent voice, hope the rescue bid comes off
It would be interesting if Mr Quinn were convinced to invest

Would Mr Packer have let this title fail?
Old 29 Apr 2016, 02:38 (Ref:3637014)   #164
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The now retrenched AA staff have done the V8 race programs.Wonder what will happen there?
If the Phillip Island race program is any thing to go by, I think they will be out of work for quite a long time.
Old 2 May 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3637704)   #165
EDA82
Rookie

EDA82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
If the Phillip Island race program is any thing to go by, I think they will be out of work for quite a long time.
Hi. As a now ex AA staffer, I can assure you the company did not produce any of this year's programs. Our contract with V8s expired at the end of 2015. And agree, the PI 'program' was a shocker.
Old 2 May 2016, 01:08 (Ref:3637713)   #166
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Farewell Auto Action...
Old 2 May 2016, 07:48 (Ref:3637758)   #167
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James Warburton grew up reading Auto Action, who knew? Almost reads like a pre fabricated quote from the V8SC pr department.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 2 May 2016 at 07:58.
Old 4 May 2016, 02:29 (Ref:3638314)   #168
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
James Warburton grew up reading Auto Action, who knew? Almost reads like a pre fabricated quote from the V8SC pr department.
I grew up reading Auto Action.

Then the internet was invented and I pretty much stopped reading weekly publications much like everyone else.
Old 4 May 2016, 04:47 (Ref:3638334)   #169
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this the end? Or is there something happening?
Old 4 May 2016, 07:09 (Ref:3638363)   #170
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The current V8 deal is still 50 dollars a month dearer than when it was on Seven. #JustSaying
Well said.

When AutoAction first announced the new Foxtel deal on their Facebook page early 2014 I asked them if they were worried because less people watching motorsport in 2015 onwards means less people buying their magazine. Looks like we got our answer this week.

Even their Facebook page has now been shut down.
Old 4 May 2016, 07:33 (Ref:3638370)   #171
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
I raised the same questions about sponsors and manufacturers...
Old 4 May 2016, 07:50 (Ref:3638377)   #172
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I raised the same questions about sponsors and manufacturers...
...and upon hearing the news of Volvo withdrawing at the end of the year, places perspective into the rushed series naming rights announcement.

The sports administrators are starting to panic.
Old 4 May 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3638391)   #173
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The current V8 deal is still 50 dollars a month dearer than when it was on Seven. #JustSaying
No! It was no extra cost and i got more coverage
Old 4 May 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3638400)   #174
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If all Foxtel was showing in F1,Moto GP and V8's was the same as was on FTA then I would be complaining too.The coverage is so much better (particularly F1) that my complaints would start if our only option was what we had to put up with before 2015(2014 for Moto GP).
Old 5 May 2016, 01:37 (Ref:3638639)   #175
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
When AutoAction first announced the new Foxtel deal on their Facebook page early 2014 I asked them if they were worried because less people watching motorsport in 2015 onwards means less people buying their magazine. Looks like we got our answer this week.
The V8's move to Foxtel does not adequately explain the decline of newspapers worldwide. Correlation does not imply causation

Wouldn't the more reasonable answer to why less people are buying the magazine be because they can get the same information quicker, cheaper and easier by alternative means.

Maybe much the same reason as when you posed your question to them in 2015 you didn't send a hand written stamped letter to their postal address as would have happened a decade earlier and rather composed your question electronically to be delivered immediately via social media. Times change.