Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Feb 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2396588)   #2526
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the 6sp or 5sp slusher be better? (David???)
Old 13 Feb 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2396589)   #2527
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 6 speed box is the one that arrived at Bathurst for the lead car to use... built by prodrive, and one of few in the world (why they didnt use Holinger is an interesting question...)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Feb 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2396632)   #2528
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The 6 speed box is the one that arrived at Bathurst for the lead car to use... built by prodrive, and one of few in the world (why they didnt use Holinger is an interesting question...)
I may be wrong but the first team to use Holinger 6 speeds in M3s was Vic Lee Motorsport in the BTCC. Is this the same car that Jim Richards was advertising a while ago?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2396636)   #2529
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B
I may be wrong but the first team to use Holinger 6 speeds in M3s was Vic Lee Motorsport in the BTCC. Is this the same car that Jim Richards was advertising a while ago?
Yes, The Creative Parrot purchased it but looks like he wont race it after all
Old 13 Feb 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2396668)   #2530
Adrian B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
Yes, The Creative Parrot purchased it but looks like he wont race it after all
Creative Parrot??????
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2396723)   #2531
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B
Creative Parrot??????
his business name,advertising firm.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2397370)   #2532
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Hard to believe that Mr Bergmuller still hasnt found a buyer for this chassis
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2397376)   #2533
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hard to believe that Mr Bergmuller still hasnt found a buyer for this chassis
$21.50
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2397381)   #2534
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Would the 6sp or 5sp slusher be better? (David???)
Jim told me they had the 6 speed in the car for Calder in 88. Which is better? I can't comment as I'm limited to only a 5 speed Getrag and haven't driven a 6 speed Prodrive box. Jim also said this car was predominently his car for the 88 season although both he and Brocky drove it in some of the endutos that year. Jervis (the creative parrot) can't find the right wheels at the moment. The car is not expected to run at the Island in March although I have offered him the use of a set of my wheels for the weekend. I'm told it has undergone a good resto and has been returned to the right spec for the period.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2397684)   #2535
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i may be wrong, but wasn't the 6-speed gearbox not homologated until a point midway through 1988?

At Bathurst only the Brock/Richards car had one, the Crompton/Parsons car still ran a 5-speed
Old 15 Feb 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2397690)   #2536
Adrian B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Jim told me they had the 6 speed in the car for Calder in 88. Which is better? I can't comment as I'm limited to only a 5 speed Getrag and haven't driven a 6 speed Prodrive box. Jim also said this car was predominently his car for the 88 season although both he and Brocky drove it in some of the endutos that year. Jervis (the creative parrot) can't find the right wheels at the moment. The car is not expected to run at the Island in March although I have offered him the use of a set of my wheels for the weekend. I'm told it has undergone a good resto and has been returned to the right spec for the period.
I might have some Simmons? 17inch ?
Old 15 Feb 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2397691)   #2537
Adrian B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
i may be wrong, but wasn't the 6-speed gearbox not homologated until a point midway through 1988?

At Bathurst only the Brock/Richards car had one, the Crompton/Parsons car still ran a 5-speed
Homologation papers show 1st of July 1988 as the date when the 6 speed was OK'ed. Picture in papers is a Getrag 6 speed though.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 06:48 (Ref:2397706)   #2538
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
I'll let him know, I think the offset is the problem with his fronts. Can I give him your email address?
Old 15 Feb 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2397709)   #2539
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Brock M3

The wheels arent Simmons though...
Is it me, or did the price on this change, upwards? From $210k to $272k?
Old 16 Feb 2009, 03:45 (Ref:2398279)   #2540
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant recall the year but I remember Crompton was driving one of the Mobil M3's and commentating at the same time at got all excited that he grabbed 6th it was @ Sandown on the front straight
Old 16 Feb 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2398309)   #2541
Adrian B
Rookie

Quote:
I'll let him know, I think the offset is the problem with his fronts. Can I give him your email address?
David, yes you can, but the earliest I could check offsets on the wheels I have would be the week before PI.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 03:00 (Ref:2398834)   #2542
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
$120k!!

The prices of these almost-current cars are certainly falling....
Old 17 Feb 2009, 03:30 (Ref:2398838)   #2543
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
$120k!!

The prices of these almost-current cars are certainly falling....
Sounds about right as the market seems to be flooded and cars of this age will be passing out of the Fujitsu series soon.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2398956)   #2544
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An indication that Mr Slade has a shiny, new PMM car to play with then?
(Just joining dots here, I have no inside info)
Old 17 Feb 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2399326)   #2545
kb5832
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
kb5832 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminee
An indication that Mr Slade has a shiny, new PMM car to play with then?
(Just joining dots here, I have no inside info)
A new PMM car to screwed over mid season - like most blokes Paul Morris hires! ie Fabian Coulthard.
If this is true I hope Tim Slade performs well. Especially if he got the drive over Steve Owen!

If this isn't true maybe Tim is hoping to buy a VE for this fujitsu series..plenty out there!
Old 18 Feb 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2399392)   #2546
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know where there is a set of BBS rims to suit this car (if it runs a 5 lug hub) but I am not sure if they ran these as well as the Simmons in Mobil livery? The owner might be interested in parting with them?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 03:14 (Ref:2400024)   #2547
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RX7 Flares.

Please forgive me for being O/T but I thought this was a good place to ask. Can anyone tell me why some Rx7s that raced in Group C have smaller flares than others ? AMs cars always had the larger flares but Terry Shiels for example had smaller flares. The larger flares appear to be wider & mount higher up the fender at the top.

Thank You David
Old 19 Feb 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2400025)   #2548
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5
Please forgive me for being O/T but I thought this was a good place to ask. Can anyone tell me why some Rx7s that raced in Group C have smaller flares than others ? AMs cars always had the larger flares but Terry Shiels for example had smaller flares. The larger flares appear to be wider & mount higher up the fender at the top.

Thank You David
I don't know about RX-7s, but in 1983 CAMS changed the rules allowing Falcons, Commodores and Bluebirds to run much larger spoilers and flares, perhaps Mazdas got the same deal......?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2400035)   #2549
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I don't know about RX-7s, but in 1983 CAMS changed the rules allowing Falcons, Commodores and Bluebirds to run much larger spoilers and flares, perhaps Mazdas got the same deal......?
Ive been doing a bit of digging & I think it has something to do with some of the earlier cars running BP motors in 2001 cc to 3000cc class B. The PP motors put the cars in the open class & therefore on to wider rubber, can anyone confirm or deny please ?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2400100)   #2550
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA
Cant recall the year but I remember Crompton was driving one of the Mobil M3's and commentating at the same time at got all excited that he grabbed 6th it was @ Sandown on the front straight
I remember in 1988 Brocky and Jim were to drive the lead car with the 6 speed box, Cromley and I think Skippy Parsons were to drive the 2nd car with the 5 speed box.

Then Brocky hit a tyre on Conrod (possibly off the Terry Finnigan car?) and smashed the oil cooler, resulting in quite a long stop. Jim was moved to the car started by Parsons as it was now in a better position, Crompton was put in Brockys car. IIRC, Crompton had to wear one of Brocky's helmets as this car had the camera fitted, and as Cromley wasn't expected to drive this car his helmet didn't have a mic fitted to connect to the camera, whereas Brocky's did. Apparently he got confused over the top as he was used to the 5 speed, and had trouble telling which gear he was in driving the 6 speed. He said he just ended up changing gear by feel, without actually counting which gear it was.

BTW, the Parsons / Richards car DNF'd after all that.