Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Dec 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3487607)   #2101
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How come I can't find them. My next door neighbour has bought a 1934 Austin seven, rebuilt engine just a little bit stiff, genuine renovation, just neede the engine freed off but everything working perfect. Engine seized solid, touched the side light which fell out, not wired in, forgot just how pony that six volt system was,(my father used to have a twelve volt battery cut down to eight volts, God that was a long time ago) to give it a bit more umph, none of the floor fits properly but, yes, he has a spare set of wheels and tyres, what a fantastic buy, should have stuck to a Bristol, lot more fun.
Merry Christmas everyone .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 24 Dec 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3487617)   #2102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You only NEED one if you play golf and have three friends who also play, thus requiring a car that will seat 4 adults in leather luxury whilst carrying their sets of golf clubs in the boot.
I'm sure it is easy to look at the marque through rose tinted specs, but I do like the early streamlined saloons. They still have a showroom in London, Nick....

Influenced by aero engineering naturally, and always a 'gentleman's express'. Sort of car you can imagine an early jet airliner pilot driving. I was always fascinated by the spare wheel location between front wheel and door, such a sensible place, but only possible because of the long wheelbase!

Very cool, but so are early Volvo or MB estates now, and a lot cheaper......

Old 24 Dec 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3487621)   #2103
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to prove that I am still here, I wish a merry Christmas and New Year to all. Thought I was going to be on my own tomorrow but a very pleasant surprise is that my youngest son and his good lady are travelling up to spend it with me.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Dec 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3487636)   #2104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Merry Christmas to all.

Had an "interesting" day of traveling yesterday.

Got on to my THY flight from Ankara to Istanbul, where ten minutes from landing we were stacked due to "bird activity" at Istanbul Airport.

Got on the ground only to be told my BA flight was delayed by 1.5hrs, no explanation though. Anyway got on the flight which was further delayed on take off. We landed at Heathrow and had to wait for the pier to attach and once it had we were instructed to carry our passports because the frontier guards were looking at all passports at the top of the pier. Anyway I was taken to one side (as were many others) and asked about my trip etc. Meanwhile a number of large chaps with seriously big machine guns were blocking the path of anyone who tried to by-pass the checks.

When I looked at www.basource.com today, I can find no mention of the delayed flight from LHR and strangely when I tried to track it on flight aware yesterday, it came up as "no entries found".

Wondering if the outbound flight was stopped because of a suspicious person on board. It is one of the known ISIS routes.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3487649)   #2105
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good to have you back safe and sound Peter.I flew back from a race meeting from somewhere this year and yes just after passport control there were a lot of armed guard police. Couple of the females were very attractive.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3487654)   #2106
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I built a Fiat last year, also a Lea Francis, which had mid mounted cams and twin pushrod assemblies, the previous year, similar chambers. THe Fiat was virtually un-tunable as the valves just hit each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Al, although it's warm it's cloudy at the moment, up to now we have had brilliant blue sky and probably warmer than the UK as it was 27c down the front the other day !
Incidentally the old Fiat 1500 used the Hemi head cross over pushrod idea and in it's day was a quick car.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20130801-00268.jpg   IMG-20130723-00230.jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3487662)   #2107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Iain. Back off again on Sunday.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3487780)   #2108
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=grantp;3487574]You only NEED one if you play golf and have three friends who also play, thus requiring a car that will seat 4 adults in leather luxury whilst carrying their sets of golf clubs in the boot.

Grant my dear fellow even though I do not play golf (to coin a phrase it ruins a good walk) I think I ought to take it up if for no other reason than to offer an alternative form of transport to fellow golfing buddies than the Jaaggg. Plus the fact it justifies the Bristol
Old 25 Dec 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3487781)   #2109
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I'm sure it is easy to look at the marque through rose tinted specs, but I do like the early streamlined saloons. They still have a showroom in London, Nick....

Very cool, but so are early Volvo or MB estates now, and a lot cheaper......

Do they still sell new gear then? Cannot afford that, but I still need to be convinced that as a gentleman's express it is hard to beat for the era.

Having said that roll the clock forward a decade and a half and the Jensen Interceptor is something else which has always caught my eye. Trouble is I can't afford a decent one of either and the restoration costs of both are horrific
Old 25 Dec 2014, 06:39 (Ref:3487805)   #2110
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Do they still sell new gear then? Cannot afford that, but I still need to be convinced that as a gentleman's express it is hard to beat for the era.
Anthony Crook may be no longer with us, but Bristol Cars are. Broaden your knowledge of the marque by having a read......
Old 25 Dec 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3487818)   #2111
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ba blooming hum bug I'm still in bed with man flue thinking of all the things I could be getting on with . He ho BTW GP we are just up the road from you in stenson just outside derby . Only here till tomorrow thought I would recap on the T Brake post we started out with Gordon making horror movies and ended up with Nick JM thinking about buying a Bristol car . I have a story to turn a full circle as I was out for a run last week along grims ditch which is part of the Ridgway . Never see anybody apart from the odd sheep and dog walker anyway there was another jogger coming towards me . We exchanged a couple of words and I told him about the racing cars and said goodbye . Couple of hours later I get an e mail and this chap asked if he can bring his sons round to have a look at the cars . They all turn up Friday afternoon and I give them a tour I then ask him what he does and he is a film director . We say goodbye and I googled him to see what films he has done . Blooming scary ones . Do you want me to send him your CV Gordon . Do you know what I'm feeling a bit better
Old 25 Dec 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3487819)   #2112
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is a wonderful story Iain. I hope you feel better soon and enjoy Christmas as the break you deserve. Please keep us fed with great stories next year!
Old 25 Dec 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3487821)   #2113
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Hope you feel better Iain as the day wears on. Perhaps some Bitburger cocktails may help?

Happy Christmas mate.

PS does that film maker bloke want to use an FIA MGB in his next movie? Need some income in the event I find a Bristol 407 for resto!!!lookoing forward to next season
Old 25 Dec 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3487825)   #2114
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Cheer up Iain you don't sound as "bah humbug" as Tim on his facebook page ! Sue and I are still in bed after a heavy night at the midnight mass !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Dec 2014, 11:19 (Ref:3487837)   #2115
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Cheer up Iain you don't sound as "bah humbug" as Tim on his facebook page ! Sue and I are still in bed after a heavy night at the midnight mass !
Yeah, after being up at 3-3:30 every morning I just wanted a decent sleep and a lay in until about 6 or 7 but no, some arses have to have an argument out side at 4am culminating in a baseball bat being used on one of them, at least it wasn't as noisy as when they use guns round here.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3487840)   #2116
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yeah, after being up at 3-3:30 every morning I just wanted a decent sleep and a lay in until about 6 or 7 but no, some arses have to have an argument out side at 4am culminating in a baseball bat being used on one of them, at least it wasn't as noisy as when they use guns round here.
Presumably the one that was on the receiving end of the bat stopped making some of the noise ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Dec 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3487842)   #2117
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Presumably the one that was on the receiving end of the bat stopped making some of the noise ?
Apparently he was crying so making quite a lot of noise and bat wielder also threatened to set his dog on him.
If they turn up again I'm going to set my dog in his dog, that'll learn him.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0157.JPG  
Old 25 Dec 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3487875)   #2118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
some arses have to have an argument out side at 4am culminating in a baseball bat being used on one of them, at least it wasn't as noisy as when they use guns round here.
Kensington has not been the same since all that foreign money came in.
Old 26 Dec 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3487987)   #2119
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Nick JM;3487780]
Quote:
You only NEED one if you play golf and have three friends who also play, thus requiring a car that will seat 4 adults in leather luxury whilst carrying their sets of golf clubs in the boot.

Grant my dear fellow even though I do not play golf (to coin a phrase it ruins a good walk) I think I ought to take it up if for no other reason than to offer an alternative form of transport to fellow golfing buddies than the Jaaggg. Plus the fact it justifies the Bristol
One might question whether commitment, time and money, to golf AND aBristol, based on no previous for either, would be tantamount to an admission of general insanity (fiscal insanity is almost a given by now) and justify the family seeking sectioning forth with.

There is a way out of this Nick.

Boats.

Horrendously costly but for some reason accepted by most. One assumes it has something to do with the tradition of British Seafaring History. (Horribly expensive in it's own right in so many ways throughout the centuries but for some reason revered as related to the "Golden Age" of whatever invading family had decided to use the Oak Forest for during their tenure of prime Royalty.)

Or you could just stand outside your office and burn 10 pound notes dropping the charred remains down the nearest drain. The result would be the same (unless on of the actions attracts tax relief of some sort.)

Actually, if you have open fires at home, bundles of tenners used as fire starters might prove remarkably cost effective based on comparative economics.

HTH.

Old 26 Dec 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3487989)   #2120
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
He ho BTW GP we are just up the road from you in stenson just outside derby .
Stenson Fields?

Only about 10 mins away iirc.

We could have exchanged Man flu stories. I thought I had finally shifted whatever mine was after 2 weeks but no, a sudden explosion of sneezes last night and ITS BACK! Any chance of selling a script to your film producer buddy?

Apparently there is a lot of it about and it does return and requires antibiotics else you end up with Pneumonia like the Archbishop of Canterbury. (although obviously in his case it is retribution from on high for appointing a Bishop of the wrong orientation .... allegedly .... but I'm not sure we can say that ..... )
Old 26 Dec 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3487996)   #2121
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
[QUOTE=grantp;3487987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post

One might question whether commitment, time and money, to golf AND aBristol, based on no previous for either, would be tantamount to an admission of general insanity (fiscal insanity is almost a given by now) and justify the family seeking sectioning forth with.

There is a way out of this Nick.

Boats.

Horrendously costly but for some reason accepted by most. One assumes it has something to do with the tradition of British Seafaring History.

I think I have a cure. Histeric racers, boats AND an aeroplane device - in fact make it an histeric flying machine.

I mean what could possibly go wrong??? : )
Old 26 Dec 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3488006)   #2122
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
have we picked a tea variety for next years Delta thread ?

Early Grey gets boring after a year.

Darjeeling, anyone ?

peppermint ?

Hagebutten ?

Rudolf
Old 26 Dec 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3488010)   #2123
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

[QUOTE=Nick JM;3487996]
Quote:

I think I have a cure. Histeric racers, boats AND an aeroplane device - in fact make it an histeric flying machine.

I mean what could possibly go wrong??? : )
Well, I suppose one could consider a Flying Boat and really go for broke. There are a few Catalinas still around I believe. I always had a soft spot for the Catalina for some reason.

I think a Sunderland may be unrealistic.

I can't think of a 3 in 1 option at the moment but no doubt someone will come up with one.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 00:19 (Ref:3488018)   #2124
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I can't think of a 3 in 1 option at the moment but no doubt someone will come up with one.
What esle could it be but a recreation of a Supermarine S6B - floats, flies and wins races :-)

Last edited by MGDavid; 27 Dec 2014 at 00:36.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3488023)   #2125
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
have we picked a tea variety for next years Delta thread ?

Early Grey gets boring after a year.

Darjeeling, anyone ?

peppermint ?

Hagebutten ?

Rudolf
Proper builders tea, none of this poofter stuff !!
Closed Thread