Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3068675)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Webber to Ferrari?

According to Joe Saward, this is a possibility, and I do agree with his logic...
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...r-and-ferrari/
Old 3 May 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3068676)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It does kind of make sense, but I can't help but feel Sergio would be a better bet. Get some fresh blood in there. You've got the experience of Alonso who'll drive the team forward, but who after that?

You need to start giving some fresh blood the opportunity. Especially with the Ferrari Young Driver scheme, it'd make even more sense.

Besides, he's not going to do worse than Felipe, is he?

Selby
Old 3 May 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3068704)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I can see the logic in this. I have to agree with ECW Dan Selby as well, that Sergio would have been a better bet. Especially if Alonso decides to call it a day(although I suspect that is a long time away).

However, Sergio might get a chance to go to Red Bull. That might shake things up a bit.
Old 3 May 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3068728)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its might be an inspired move... maybe Potsie will feel the love that seems to be genuinely missing from the RBR garage... and prosper...

Plenty of money in being a Ferrari pilot.. in F1, and all those works sportscar deals that are around...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 May 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3068738)   #5
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand why he would, for these reasons:

Performance. On the basis of this season so far, moving to Ferrari would be a downgrade. Ferrari have had two difficult seasons (2011 and start of '12) whilst Red Bull has been solid. Webber's enjoyed his strongest start to his season ever at Red Bull this year.

Ricciardo and Vergne, who I both rate highly, I don't believe would be ready to move to Red Bull after just one season. Vettel wasn't. So who would replace him at Red Bull? Lewis Hamilton? But then doesn't that sort of defeat the object of the point of Toro Rosso?

One year deal? Seriously? What's the point? Button admitted when he went to McLaren that it took him a few races to get up to speed, not only in the car, but within the team. On that basis, just a one year deal would be kinda pointless in a way, if you are then going to replace him with another different driver for 2014.

With no disrespect intended to Mark, get Perez in there. He's a guy at the start of his career, rather than at the end of it with Mark, and if you sign him up now you can have a long term partnership between him and Alonso. If teams aren't going to use young drivers from their development programmes, what is the point in having them in the first place?

Can't see it happening really.
Old 3 May 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3068757)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Perez is the only front runner for that seat. Webber might be put out there by Ferrari as a negotiating tactic to put pressure on the Perez camp. There's no real reason to sign Webber whatsoever but there's a few reasons to pretend that he's being seriously considered.
Old 3 May 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3068791)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I don't understand why he would, for these reasons:

Performance. On the basis of this season so far, moving to Ferrari would be a downgrade. Ferrari have had two difficult seasons (2011 and start of '12) whilst Red Bull has been solid. Webber's enjoyed his strongest start to his season ever at Red Bull this year.

Ricciardo and Vergne, who I both rate highly, I don't believe would be ready to move to Red Bull after just one season. Vettel wasn't. So who would replace him at Red Bull? Lewis Hamilton? But then doesn't that sort of defeat the object of the point of Toro Rosso?

One year deal? Seriously? What's the point? Button admitted when he went to McLaren that it took him a few races to get up to speed, not only in the car, but within the team. On that basis, just a one year deal would be kinda pointless in a way, if you are then going to replace him with another different driver for 2014.

With no disrespect intended to Mark, get Perez in there. He's a guy at the start of his career, rather than at the end of it with Mark, and if you sign him up now you can have a long term partnership between him and Alonso. If teams aren't going to use young drivers from their development programmes, what is the point in having them in the first place?

Can't see it happening really.
You may be right and this could be a load of old Saward boll... derdash.

However, over the years Ferrari have demonstrated that they want one strong driver and one (also ran) content to get second place. They do not want two 'number ones'. Despite what he says, Webber has never been able to challenge Vettel when he had the opportunity and as his career nears its twilight, a move to a well paid Ferrari number two makes a lot of sense.

Unlike Ferrari, Red Bull would run two prime drivers and allow them to race for wins and championships. At the end of this year, I believe Ricciardo will be ready for RBR and will probably give Vettel a better run for his money in 2013 than would Webber.

We'll see.
Old 3 May 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3068880)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is Flavour Flav still the manager for both Alonso and Webber?
Old 3 May 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3068889)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is Flavour Flav still the manager for both Alonso and Webber?
Another valid point / connection, but I seem to remember that Mark decided to paddle his own canoe when Flav became persona non gratis in the F1 paddock.
Old 3 May 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3068879)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its might be an inspired move... maybe Potsie will feel the love that seems to be genuinely missing from the RBR garage... and prosper...
If you think that Mark's situation would change by going to Ferrari your mistaken !

That said, i can see the sense in it from Ferrari's point of view, an extremely able pilot who will get them points and maybe the occasional win. I can also see it from Mark's point of view, i good final paycheck before retirement, a great company car and the chance to maybe get the occasional win.
Old 3 May 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3068892)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Flavio is not gratis anymore ? Just thought he always have been very expensive.

Well, Mark Webber to Ferrari ! That sounds great, play second fiddle to Teflonso. Must be better than to play second to Vettel, what do you think ?

Personally, I would advise any driver with a potential future to avoid the second seat at Ferrari alongside, you know who. In Webber's case the future is retirement, so anything is better than that.
Old 3 May 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3068909)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Personally, I would advise any driver with a potential future to avoid the second seat at Ferrari alongside, you know who. In Webber's case the future is retirement, so anything is better than that.
Nail on the head there !
Old 3 May 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3068942)   #13
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso and Webber are friends, they could become good team partners.
Old 3 May 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3069006)   #14
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect that Ricciardo or Vernge will not be ready for promotion to Red Bull next year looking at their progress so far but maybe 2014. If this was the case then it would make sense for Red Bull to keep Webber for another season.
Old 4 May 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3069316)   #15
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not going to happen - I suspect that Webbers management are the source of the rumour - classic example of trying to give the impression that their client is 'wanted' so as to get a better deal elsewhere.
Old 4 May 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3069346)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
He hasn't been the only driver to be recently linked to Ferrari.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/...replace-Massa-

Has anyone not been linked to the second seat at Ferrari?

*Answers on a postcard to: Felipe Massa, # 2 Ferrari, Second street, Secondshire, Secondland. Post Code IAM 2ND*
Old 4 May 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3069375)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Plus, as Mark has admitted himself, he's "not bad for a number two driver..."
Old 5 May 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3069856)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In today's Sydney Morning Hearld they have a story that Webber will be staying at Red Bull based on Ricciardo and Vergne staying at STR for at least another year.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...504-1y48y.html

But then its probably pure speculation or somebody with an agenda putting ideas in a journalists head.
Old 5 May 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3069857)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumours ? We all like them.
Old 5 May 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3069884)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
hmmm..........slow news week.
Old 5 May 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3069887)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Now Christian Horner has said he sees no reason for Webber to move.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99392

Don't forget who is the MW in MW Arden
Old 5 May 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3069894)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Now Christian Horner has said he sees no reason for Webber to move.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99392

Don't forget who is the MW in MW Arden
But we know that Christian Horner doesn't decide the driver pairing at RBR
Old 6 May 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3070140)   #23
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It makes no sense for Webber to go to Ferrari. Webber needs a race winning car, and Red Bull is a better bet to deliver that now than Ferrari. Red Bull also need Webber as a good #2 to pick up good points in the constructors. He's not on Vettel's level, but he's performing just fine racking up the points. With the possible exception of Kimi Raikkonen, they don't have any other good options that wouldn't destabilise the team. The Toro Rosso pair aren't ready yet, but I suspect Vergne will be for 2014.

The only other option is that Lotus go back to their original branding and then Webber can finally go to Renault!
Old 7 May 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3070583)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
It makes no sense for Webber to go to Ferrari. Webber needs a race winning car, and Red Bull is a better bet to deliver that now than Ferrari. Red Bull also need Webber as a good #2 to pick up good points in the constructors. He's not on Vettel's level, but he's performing just fine racking up the points. ......... The Toro Rosso pair aren't ready yet, but I suspect Vergne will be for 2014.
I'm not saying that Mark will go to Ferrari, but the lure of driving for the Prancing Horse has got to be great for any driver, especially one that's not likely to get another chance. Mark (quite rightly) will put his own needs and wishes before Red Bull's. Why would he want to stay and help out Red Bull because they don't have a replacement in place yet?
Old 6 May 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3070269)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Until we hear rumours that Ferrari are getting Renault engines, there's no reason to believe these rumours.