Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 Dec 2007, 13:11 (Ref:2086484)   #1
PhilChicken
Rookie

PhilChicken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pat Doran buys Lydden Lease

I was told at the Weekend that a consortium lead by Pat Doran has bought the lease for Lydden.

How do we think this will affect the sport?

Does this mean that rally-cross will venture north of the m25 even less now?
Old 11 Dec 2007, 13:34 (Ref:2086500)   #2
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair Phil, Lydden is the only rallycross circuit that's actually south of the M25. Pembrey is roughly level with the M25 I suppose, but everything else is pretty northerly for those of us in the South. Knockhill in particular is about ten hours for me, but Croft, Blyton, Anglessey and even Pembrey are all a long way too for a lot of us. So it's not quite fair to say that rallycross doesn't often venture north of the M25 - it's all a question of persepctive, eh?

But if the news is true (there are a lot of rumours in rallycross but this one seems fairly strong) it must be a good thing for rallycross, right? It would seem likely that, because quite a few supercar drivers are heading to Europe next year, this consortium would try to get a round of the ERC to Lydden - also, they are likely all to be businessmen and this would make business sense, I would have thought. It would be competition for RPL for a round of the ERC, which could improve the sport as a whole as each strives to be the best.

So long as both championships try to balance their round between north and south, this aquisition can only be only a good thing for the sport, surely?
Old 11 Dec 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2086510)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There's a whole thread about the Lydden lease here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102049

General Lydden stuff can be added there but this thread is good for rallycross specific comments
Old 11 Dec 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2086619)   #4
stuart107
Racer

England
Faversham
stuart107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has to be great news for Rallycross.

Let's be honest, McLaren have not exactly been forward in developing it since they have owned it!

Lydden Hill is the home of the sport, it is probably the best viewing circuit we have and is also a great drivers track. More should have been made of this great venue a long time ago.

If Pat & Ollie are involved, make no mistake, it will be of benefit to Rallycross.

I think it is an exciting time for the sport at the moment and I am glad I have decided to start competing again.

Good luck to Pat & Ollie and I look forward to hearing their plans!

Stuart
Old 11 Dec 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2086667)   #5
David Walmsley
Rookie

David Walmsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to Pat and Ollie if they have the lease.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 19:43 (Ref:2086726)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart107
This has to be great news for Rallycross.
Yep and I suspect club motorsport in general.

Quote:
Lydden Hill is the home of the sport, it is probably the best viewing circuit we have and is also a great drivers track. More should have been made of this great venue a long time ago.
There are many restrictions so unless this is a labour of love I'd expect upgraded facilities, tarmac in the paddock and that's about it.

Quote:
If Pat & Ollie are involved, make no mistake, it will be of benefit to Rallycross.

I think it is an exciting time for the sport at the moment and I am glad I have decided to start competing again.

Good luck to Pat & Ollie and I look forward to hearing their plans!

Stuart
This is true. Very good news for the true home of rallycross.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 21:37 (Ref:2086796)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant news for the sport and also fair play to them both for having teh guts to have a crack at it.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2086829)   #8
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day it is a business decision too buy the lease for Lydden so things can only improve if it makes money, but rallycross orientated leaseholders maybe inclined to return an ERC round to its rightful home.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:32 (Ref:2087112)   #9
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydden_Race_Circuit

Updated just some minutes ago, according to "Rallycross World" issue 48 ("Doran in charge", by Tim DoubleU).

Apropos: Good luck, "Plastic Paddy"!!!
Old 12 Dec 2007, 15:28 (Ref:2087280)   #10
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see two massive supporters of rallycross taking over the venue. Look like Amy will be running the circuit so I'm sure we'll see some decent advertising and promotional campaigns too.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 16:50 (Ref:2087327)   #11
acer
Rookie

acer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a write up on Page 2 in the Motorsport News, tells us everything we need to know.
Good Luck to Pat and Amy
Old 12 Dec 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2087354)   #12
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer
Good Luck to Pat and Amy
And Ollie!
Old 12 Dec 2007, 19:23 (Ref:2087417)   #13
:) RallyX
Racer

:) RallyX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Friendly
And Ollie!

Ollie has no involvement with this venture. If Chris announced it at the London Excel I don't know where he got his information from.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 21:53 (Ref:2087500)   #14
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by :) RallyX
Ollie has no involvement with this venture. If Chris announced it at the London Excel I don't know where he got his information from.
Ooops, Sorry!

So Pat is literally king of the hill then!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3236785)   #15
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea when or if the lease ran out? Was for 5yrs I recall so getting Monster involved with the Brc and IMG Rallycross has this enabled the lease to be extended? and remain with the family/ consortium whatever?
Old 19 Apr 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3236789)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Pretty sure that Pat owns the circuit now (rather than just the lease) - can't remember where I heard that but it was a while back.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3237471)   #17
dex92
Racer

dex92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^I hope thats not true, The calendar is so sparse of any events for example theres about 6 actual proper events between now and august . I dread to think what things they will get up to if they have bought it for example during the BRSCC meet last year after they had paid their money to rent the track Pat decided to take his RS200 out on track as he said Its my track I can do what I want causing the others to lose track time.