Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3422313)   #4426
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A short video by Porsche which captures the mood to some degree

Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3422314)   #4427
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know why this car was sparking on the undertray skid blocks all race long?
Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3422319)   #4428
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Does anyone know why this car was sparking on the undertray skid blocks all race long?
Suspension..

In all reality, who cares, it was seriously awesome!
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3422320)   #4429
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
You are absolutely right, Le Mans is pure magic.

But even with the most reliable car other thinks could happen… beware the mighty FERRARI menace

Toyota and Audi already sufer from that thread
Oh yeah, this is why we love Le Mans so much.

Btw did anything come of the anticipated announcement of a new LMP1 manu? I thought it was supposed to be saturday but I haven't heard anything.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3422323)   #4430
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Suspension..

Well not like that. The car was sparking in practice, and throughout qualy. At that point I was telling myself there is no way they will let it run like that during the race. Low and behold it did. I just want to know why. If they were running the car that close to the ground it would have been big trouble on the exit of tertre rouge and the ford and dunlop chicanes. I know they have some sort of trick damper system. Wondering if there is more to it like some sort of ride height control.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3422335)   #4431
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Webber's put on weight? He's no longer on his exclusive Red Bull diet and so his rapid weight gain knackered the supension, which would explain the sparking and why he was so slow.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 04:07 (Ref:3422369)   #4432
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Suspension..

Intelligent reply.

Articus and I, amongst many others, I'm sure.

jimclark
Old 16 Jun 2014, 04:12 (Ref:3422370)   #4433
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Wondering if there is more to it like some sort of ride height control.
'Pretty dang sure active suspension is still not allowed these days.
If it were, I'm sure everyone would be using it.

jimclark
Old 16 Jun 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3422374)   #4434
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Pretty dang sure active suspension is still not allowed these days.
Your right active suspension is banned.

. Maybe it's nothing. It's just extremely odd to me that they would let the car bottom out on the straights for 340 odd laps if reliability was there aim. There must have been some benefit to this behavior of the car. What that was, I don't know.

Last edited by Articus; 16 Jun 2014 at 04:41.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3422390)   #4435
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What I took away form this race:
Positives
1. Car relatively quick in qualifying.
2. Blistering quick in sector 2
3. Team seemed very well organized (not surprising)
4. There seems to be a real camaraderie within the team
5. Strong desire to do well. (not surprising)

Negatives
1. Car slow in sector 2 and 3
2. Not as good as the competition in the twisty bits. (very unusual for Porsche – think RS Spyder)
3. Does small (less powerful) engine force them to have a low-down-force set-up thus compromising handling?
4. Race pace is at least 3-4 seconds off where it should be.
5. Suspension does not seem to be sorted/developed to its full potential (or is the concept wrong?)
6. Continuous drive train issues
7. Tire management is not as good as the competition (fruit of suspension and aero).
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:33 (Ref:3422396)   #4436
Articus
Veteran

Slightly off topic here but The RS spyder wasn't as good as the Acura Arx-01b in the twisty bits . There's a neat little story about how the Acura's working with Michelin produced a car and tire that could do turn 1 at Sebring flat out in 2008 . The RS Spyder was quicker in a straightline though. I only bring it up because I have really fond memories of that era.

All fair points. I take particular interest in #5. They definitely have some sort of clever suspension in there.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3422398)   #4437
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As it turns out, the reason the #20 was slow and eventually stopped was a broken rear anti-roll bar
Old 16 Jun 2014, 07:02 (Ref:3422401)   #4438
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If that was the case, surely that could have been changed.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 07:02 (Ref:3422402)   #4439
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me Porsche did a really good job at their comeback and I think really not a lot People have expected them running so long in a straight forward position.
Also their brand-new crew worked well together in their first 24 hours race.

As mentioned the car has a really interesting kind of self-level suspension system there the corners are linked together via a hydraulic system.
Despite this it was clearly the most nervous car on track.
What we don't know if the bouncing front was a suspension problem or a aero problem. I tend to the later as it arised at about 270 kph and beyond. Seems like the " good old" porpoising feature there the front diffusor moves downwards under higher aero loads, stalls and lost it's downforce, move upwards until the aero forces come back and it's moves down and so on. The frequency and the speed the phenomen occured speaks for porpoising.
Though I am surprised as the higher center section of the front soplitter should prevent it.
Here we need an expert.

But I am pretty sure Porsche will analyze the race closely and come back next year with a new and much better car.

And now I am looking forward to see the high downforce package which should be launched at Austin.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 07:50 (Ref:3422416)   #4440
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I bet theyll be testing in the near future if theyre running a high downforce car at Austin.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3422417)   #4441
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
As it turns out, the reason the #20 was slow and eventually stopped was a broken rear anti-roll bar
It was powertrain failure which stopped #20 (came back on hybrid power), and gearbox failure for #14.

And I looked at the classifications again this morning and #14 is now classified. 11th overall, 5th in class.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3422421)   #4442
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post

And now I am looking forward to see the high downforce package which should be launched at Austin.
Are you sure that there will indeed be a high down-force package? I am not yet convinced.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3422442)   #4443
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Are you sure that there will indeed be a high down-force package? I am not yet convinced.
I think they must. They have a long break and coupled with the fact that they are no longer prepping for LM means low downforce will provide them no gains. Next year's car will be more advanced and I doubt it will run this year's aero.

If they don't it suggests that Porsche aren't taking anything other than LM seriously (a mistake) , or that they have a budgetary or personnel issue. They will also be destroyed at the true HDF tracks that are on the calendar.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3422457)   #4444
Chemistry88
Rookie

Chemistry88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche were brilliant, especially in their first outing at Le Mans in over 10+ years. I think it's shows Audi's experience at running Le Mans year after year is beneficial. Nonetheless, no one expected Porsche to even be in contention, let alone challenge for the victory. I think Porsche will be the team to beat next year, just a hunch after their successful but somewhat heartbreaking end to the race.

Time to Knock Audi off their Perch.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3422467)   #4445
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Fritz Enzinger mentioned this in one of his early season interviews. He said they will do all races before LM with the low-downforce package and a high downforce package will be ready for Austin
Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3422472)   #4446
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
Fritz Enzinger mentioned this in one of his early season interviews. He said they will do all races before LM with the low-downforce package and a high downforce package will be ready for Austin
Ha! Good! - Now we will be able to see if tyre ware improves or if it is a suspension issue.

Also - Still many jobs open for the LMP1 project. Head of Suspension and hydraulics engineers among many. Interestingly there is an engine designer position. New engine?
Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3422483)   #4447
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly I think that porsche main efforts are for the 2015 919, at austin surely we will see an HD package like the one used by toyota last year from interlagos. Basicly the same low drag package with some HD updates here and there.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3422544)   #4448
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Thats the reason it was slow, yes, but not the reason why it stopped
Old 16 Jun 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3422572)   #4449
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...-dream-ending/
Old 16 Jun 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3422623)   #4450
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Porsche did very well. I am an optimist, so my glass is 3/4 full. Congratulations to the team and I look forward to next year!

A few points…

• First year back after having been gone for so long
• Totally new regulations, so the potential for “getting it wrong” was large
• Strong competition makes it harder
• They seem to be doing this completely in-house with a generally built from scratch team. Building for the future!
• While it didn’t get Pole it was in the running to do so.
• While it had reliability issues, so did everyone else.
• Generally clean running by the #20 and #14 (i.e. not crashing out)
• To have survived and to be able to lead the race very late, even if briefly, should speak volumes.
• If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I am sure they are likely deep in the design of the 2015 car. It will be interesting to see what concepts caries over from 2014 to 2015.

I am hopeful that I can make it to the COTA race.

Richard