Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1305260)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CONFIRMED : Qualifying changed to a single session

FIA confirms that from the European Grand Prix qualifying will be a single-shot session on Saturday afternoon.

Cars will run in order of previous race finish - with the winner of the previous race out last.

Cars will run on race fuel and go to parc ferme afterwards.

----

This is a very sensible move, in my opinion - most of the broadcasters only show this session - so it's good we'll see qualifying as a whole.

Furthermore - I like the idea you've got one chance only to set your grid position.

Before anyone wistfully calls for a free for all, that was never likely with the current engine and tyre rules.

One of the real benefits of knowing on Saturday whole the pole man is is that you get the Saturday night news story of the grid for the race - gives TV and radio news something better to talk about in the evening - and means the race previews are a lot better in the Sunday papers too.

A sensible move - well done to the teams and FIA.
Old 20 May 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1305265)   #2
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think having a single qualyfing session is much better and easier to understand, but to make a change like this in the first quarter of the year is at least bizarre. I think FIA should stick to what they said at the begining and not confuse (more) teams, spectators and TV channels...
Old 20 May 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1305266)   #3
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This can't be right - common sense breaks out in F1 ?

Wistful or not - I'd still like to see qualifying like it used to be, with cars out on the track pretty much whenever they wanted, but this format, ditching the Sunday session is good enough for starters..

Rob
Old 20 May 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1305267)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So on Sunday the only time the paying fans get to see the cars will be on the starting grid. Well I think that the fans are getting RIPPED off, paying a large sum of money only to see your favourite driver & car only once a day is a bit rich.

But on the other hnad it is about time the FIA did something about Qualifying.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 20 May 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1305268)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's not yet confirmed on the FIA website.But www.pitpass.com are reporting the same,so it must be true.

Let's hope they don't go changing it again.
Old 20 May 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1305274)   #6
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TSR is right. Altough I much prefer qualifying on saturday, some years ago at least you could see the cars in the warm up, but now, if you arrive sunday morning to a race you will see the cars at the race and that´s it...
We´ve had some years of fast rule changing, it´s time for the teams and FIa to sit down and settle things forever...
Old 20 May 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1305276)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good decision, from a media viewpoint the Sunday Q was a disaster.
Old 20 May 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1305287)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I saw something mentioned in German on an N-TV 'ticker' during yesterdays second free practice, although i got jist of it, i wasn't sure that it could be true!

So it's almost a return to the method of 2003 then, what with race fuel on board and all that?

Can't remember the running order from that year though?
Old 20 May 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1305289)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There is still however the problem of inclement weather playing its part,sometimes a good thing,sometimes not.Bad weather on a drivers lap can not only put him to the back of the grid for that race,but will also have a knock-on effect for subsequent races as well.But at least now (hopefully) it can happen only once.
Old 20 May 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1305300)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Sensible yes, but really... its a bit of a joke that the sport we all love fiddles with the rules while the championship is in progress.
Old 20 May 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1305301)   #11
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Common sense at last!

Yes the weather may well play a big part Martyn, but it would anyway wouldn't it?
Old 20 May 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1305309)   #12
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First things first, why this year has there been so many rule changes during the season ?
Secondly I'm predicting the crowd figures at the tracks next year will be at a all time low, all the FIA seems to be concerned with is the way its packaged for TV.
Another rubbish decision IMO
Old 20 May 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1305320)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not cater for the TV audience? At the end of the day they're the larger market. I'm not saying I agree with it but it makes sense.

I've been shouting for a single one lap qualifying session since the change started, it's a shame it's on race fuel but with some teams complaining about tank size and advantages I guess that was never on the cards for this year.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1305338)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fans who bought tickets for forthcoming races have every right to feel ripped off, as the amount of action they will see has been cut at a stroke, which is surely against any number of European laws. The FIA could be sued for this,a dn would surely deserve it. They decided on an unpopular and illogical qualifying arrangement, adn should've stuck with it for the year.

This rule change makes far too big a change for mid-season. The opening races have been ran under the system that running heavy penalises half of your qualifying speed - now they're changing it to penalise the entire lap. Essentially, if the Nurburgring race (for example) had been staged a month earlier, the result would have been different, and that's just not sport, it's random.

On another subject, when there is rain for a session they really should change the system, to at lest allow the drivers when to do their laps, or how many laps to do (knowing taht having a second run would cost them in terms of fuel, but maybe give them a fair chance to get the right grid position). A repeat of the Melbourne lottery would be a disgrace.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1305341)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
The FIA could be sued for this,a dn would surely deserve it. They decided on an unpopular and illogical qualifying arrangement, adn should've stuck with it for the year.
It was the teams, not the FIA

Quote:

This rule change makes far too big a change for mid-season. The opening races have been ran under the system that running heavy penalises half of your qualifying speed - now they're changing it to penalise the entire lap. Essentially, if the Nurburgring race (for example) had been staged a month earlier, the result would have been different, and that's just not sport, it's random.

On another subject, when there is rain for a session they really should change the system, to at lest allow the drivers when to do their laps, or how many laps to do (knowing taht having a second run would cost them in terms of fuel, but maybe give them a fair chance to get the right grid position). A repeat of the Melbourne lottery would be a disgrace.

"The Melbourne lottery" is precisely the sort of thing casual viewers and race organisers want.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1305342)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Most people have been calling for this ever since the 2 session rule was introduced, and now most people seem to be moaning!
Old 20 May 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1305347)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Essentially, if the Nurburgring race (for example) had been staged a month earlier, the result would have been different, and that's just not sport, it's random.
Random? Well I guess. If it had been run in a different year too. Or on a Tuesday.
Quote:
The FIA could be sued for this,a dn would surely deserve it.
The FIA can't change anything unless the teams agree to it. Which they did. They did so because they (rightly) saw it would be best for F1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
Most people have been calling for this ever since the 2 session rule was introduced, and now most people seem to be moaning!
Yes!
Old 20 May 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1305350)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see what's good about this new system. One session is great, but only one lap each? Oh my God, that's lame.

Really, I actually think what we had was better than this. And that wasn't great was it?

I'm also pretty narked that there'll be one session less when I go to Silverstone!
Old 20 May 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1305361)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think one lap each is what qualifying should be to be honest.

What we had can't have been better - it wasn't shown on TV and left the grid up in the air from Saturday night.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1305365)   #20
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree K-B, but the good thing was that we could see the cars run in low fuel set up, thats the main thing I'll miss about it.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1305373)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We might as well not have qualifying. They seem hell bent on trying all the rubbish systems before we finally end up with proper qualifying, in 2026 no doubt.
Old 20 May 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1305377)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like it as it will keep everyone guessing what fuel stratergy teams are running where as in the current sytem saturday was always a bit of a giveway.
Old 20 May 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1305380)   #23
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fans who bought tickets for forthcoming races have every right to feel ripped off, as the amount of action they will see has been cut at a stroke, which is surely against any number of European laws. The FIA could be sued for this,a dn would surely deserve it.
Umm, no. I'm sure "The timetable is subject to change" is written in plenty of places by the promoters.
Old 20 May 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1305390)   #24
lucypumablue
Rookie

England
(Not-so) Sunny Sussex
lucypumablue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am glad they've changed this, as people have said, now we get to know what the grid will be on sat pm, so we have night to guess fuel strategies / etc.
Also agree it's shame they're one less thing happening on track on sunday am - I reckon they just need another support race!!!
Old 20 May 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1305395)   #25
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the best system is it's f*&%ng ridiculous to change such core regulations mid season.
No really, it's BS. I'm sorry but that's a joke.
I don't care whether the whole deal is five times fairer, no competition worth it's salt changes the rules mid season.

Bring tje optimised rules in next year.