Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2227850)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP de l'Age d'Or, Dijon, 27th-29th June

OK, so who else is going.....?

I'll be racing 'the usual' cars (my SZ in GTSCC, and Nick Savage's GTA in U2TC), trying my best not to be a mobile chicane!

Regards,

James
Old 14 Jun 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2228894)   #2
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, just me then.

Where's the emoticon for tumbleweed?

James
Old 15 Jun 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2229160)   #3
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James, I will also be there!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 06:54 (Ref:2229167)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're due a holiday v.soon,I just happen to know of a fantastic Château 15 mins away so was thinking that might be a convenient date to be in France,not in race capacity,its still a very nice place for a re-charge!!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2229197)   #5
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Careful, Terence - I've tried that sort of thing on my wife before, and she didn't see the funny side (women have such LONG memories, too!).....

"Oh yes, darling. Now that we're on our way home (from Italy), why don't we go back via Belgium. I know this fantastic little town in the Ardennes. You'd love it, surrounded by forests, and the main town has a lovely Spa. Actually, Spa, hang on, yes, I think that was the name of the town as well....
........Oh, now that we're here, what a coincidence! There's some historic racing on at a local circuit. It would be fun to take a look..."

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
We're due a holiday v.soon,I just happen to know of a fantastic Château 15 mins away so was thinking that might be a convenient date to be in France,not in race capacity,its still a very nice place for a re-charge!!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2229199)   #6
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
I'll try to find you to say hello. Must properly introduce myself, as we seem to do most of the same races!

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
James, I will also be there!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2229202)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed James, I will look you out. What races are you doing? GTSCC? Where are you staying? We are in the centre at Mercure Dijon.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2229214)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James,I'm one of the fortunate ones,my wife was responsible for pushing me into racing all those years ago and she hasn't lost the enthusiasm for my racing.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2229393)   #9
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed James, I will look you out. What races are you doing? GTSCC? Where are you staying? We are in the centre at Mercure Dijon.
Roger,
I hope you're stay at the Mercure at Dijon is happier than mine. Lights kept blowing out, La Climatise didn't work and when I complained the manager spat at me.
The track and the meeting were great though. But I'd still prefer to see it back at Montlhéry. Actually I think there's still a podcast from Dijon on the In Pit Lane podcast, via iTunes perhaps Montlhéry as well. Are you racing or watching?
Old 15 Jun 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2229420)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Racing - 5 races in total so will be a busy one.

Last year I booked accommodation very late and found a "business apartment" that sounded perfect. What they didn't say was it resembled some kind of asylum seekers ghetto! The lads were not impressed. They requested a "normal hotel" this year so the place you describes sounds perfect!!!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2229684)   #11
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Hi Roger,

Yes, as stated, doing GTSCC and U2TC.

Also at the Mercure Dijon, from the Wednesday night.

Personally, I stayed at the Mercure 2 years ago, and thought it was fine, not great, but not bad either. My aircon worked well (which was a real benefit). The rooms were OK.

James

Quote:
Old 16 Jun 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2229825)   #12
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
I plan to arrive Thursday night and skip free practice. Also doing GTSCC and U2TC. See you for a beer at the Mercure.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2230356)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We will be there Mighty Galaxie and Lotus 17. Not sure if i am driving yet but looking foward to Dijon one of my favorate tracks
Old 17 Jun 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2230643)   #14
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Seems like they've made some 'improvements' this year (thanks to Google translate), and we will be the first to try the 'new' track....

"The team circuit a Dijon-Prenoisstarted work on a gigantic scale - in the greatest respect for nature, for the pleasure of spectators, media, drivers.
Throughout the track, drainage has been improved for the benefit of groundwater and vegetation- dead vegetation will be replaced by
plantations in good shape. Phew, with that call for fresh air and fresh wind,
trees will be able to breathe properly!

So that everyone can enjoy the colourful spectacle, provided without interference, Dijon-Prenois finally offers a view clear to all. The Pouas curve has finally been revealed to spectators - Fans of fine trajectory and slides cleverly maintained on the edge of the adhesion. The pilot workload in action astounds spectators, most of whom have never seen the track in this
angle plunging and perfectly clear.

It is no longer necessary to practice rock-climbing or to be an expert in survival in a hostile environment to enjoy one of the finest performances in the mechanical world. Recall that this curve is one of the most delicate
and most feared in Europe with, well certainly, the Radillon at Spa and the Parabolica at Monza. Moreover, a condition for his release line where the greatest speeds are reached, all experienced pilots you say.

The media have not been forgotten either. The well-trodden path outside of the track will allow photographers, journalists and television crews
propose images and commentary impossible to achieve before.
All views are taken so far to rank Dijon-Prenois highly in the digital era!

Drivers, you know Dijon-Prenois?

Well, you just have to all prepare and publish new benchmarks!
Gone are the two dangerous bumps at the outset braking bowl, aka the left Bretelle. Gone are the perilous exit curve Pouas turning too often a slight corrction into a spin, in this terrible law. The recommended approach is quite comparable to that accorded the curves Pouhon and Blanchimont on the devil of Ardennes, Spa-Francorchamps.

As a result, he said that some préparation to mount a long straight still allowing a high speed allowing them to test the new grip of the asphalt in the Villeroy double right-hander because…the unpleasant hopping on the right hand line has disappeared.

To allow time for the new asphalt to stabilize, the first tests will be set aside for cars kind to bitumen.

The first major event reserved for old racing cars will be the Grand Prix de l'Age Golden, 27 to 29 June 2008."

James
Old 17 Jun 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2230646)   #15
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
I hope my cars are kind to bitumen!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2230698)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Seems like they've made some 'improvements' this year
The media have not been forgotten either. The well-trodden path outside of the track will allow photographers, journalists and television crews
propose images and commentary impossible to achieve before.
All views are taken so far to rank Dijon-Prenois highly in the digital era!
James
Trekking that well trodden path was just a part of the fun at Dijon. The views around the back of the circuit are stunning, and as at Le Mans the way the organisers treat the media is a lesson for all here in Australia. I asked one of the officials where we were allowed to film and where we shouldn't go? He said"Have you done this before.?
Yes
"Do you want to stand in the middle of the track?"
No
"Good, then you can stand anywhere you like."
We did and got some terrific shots.
Oh and of course the food was great at the Cafe as well.
Have heaps of fun everyone and if anybody has video footage that we might be able to use for the Podcast or even the TV show later in the year I'd love to get hold of it.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2236491)   #17
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like its just the 4 of us. Are you all going to BBQ sat eve if so wear your Hi Viz jackets and i will come and find you.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2236732)   #18
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Looks like its just the 4 of us. Are you all going to BBQ sat eve if so wear your Hi Viz jackets and i will come and find you.
delta? are the deltas ready for the nurburgring next weekend???
Old 24 Jun 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2236771)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes theres only one and its on its way.I have mixed fortunes about next weekend. Brands has the big race of the year in the Formula Junior calander and i could of raced the Lotus 22. Then Nurburgring i could of shared the Sports 2000 in long distance race. But work comes first and its Dijon for me but i am still happy as its a great place and i should get a drive in Jims Lotus 17.Hope all goes well were ever you are this weekend.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2236839)   #20
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Yes theres only one and its on its way.I have mixed fortunes about next weekend. Brands has the big race of the year in the Formula Junior calander and i could of raced the Lotus 22. Then Nurburgring i could of shared the Sports 2000 in long distance race. But work comes first and its Dijon for me but i am still happy as its a great place and i should get a drive in Jims Lotus 17.Hope all goes well were ever you are this weekend.
its a nice car and good company coming to nurburgring.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 05:35 (Ref:2236958)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Brands or Nurburgring? whats the dilemma!
Old 25 Jun 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2237015)   #22
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Brands or Nurburgring? whats the dilemma!
both can be wet and windy and both are to far away of beaune nuits st georges etc. so we voted wrong , but life is full of choices
Old 25 Jun 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2237019)   #23
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Same as my thinking for this weekend. Brands or Dijon?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1612

or

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...36?from=search
Old 25 Jun 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2237035)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Apart from the forecast Roger,Dijon has a Superior wine list,
Old 25 Jun 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2237039)   #25
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Apart from the forecast Roger,Dijon has a Superior wine list,
And much, much better food!