Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 May 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2462992)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marketing my car, it needs a new owner braver than I!

....... so I've decided to sell the Special Austin Mercury.

I would welcome any suggestions as to the best place to market a car like this, it is a one off special with international racing history, however, at 60, my reactions are no longer quick enough to cope with 4.25 litres in a short, light chassis.

My website for it is here:- http://web.me.com/bugattiste1/Specia...e/Welcome.html

If any of you have any successful experience of selling a historic racer and getting a reasonably good price, I would love to hear from you.

All my other cars have always been prewar VSCC eligible and relatively easy to sell, but I know nothing much about how to sell later racers.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 May 2009 at 07:40.

Steve McQueen.
Old 15 May 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2463001)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Presumably has wings and can race in Woodcote trophy .Speak to Duncan Wiltshire as it may be a way for racer to enter a popular series at a reasonable price.Not sure how you get round the fatality bit as that usually effects price.Ideal car for many who post on here with an odd ball history to the point of sounding improbable.Good thing you did not post on 1/4
Old 15 May 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2463064)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks as though it's eligible for Angouleme as well. It could be a very nice car for someone who is seeking sociable, fun racing with an added frisson of terror!
Old 15 May 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2463085)   #4
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Good thing you did not post on 1/4
Who are 1/4? Shows how little I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
It looks as though it's eligible for Angouleme as well.
Here I am practicing at Angouleme last year with wings and lights, I didn't race because I had a magneto problem, now it is running on a coil........

Steve McQueen.
Old 15 May 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2463104)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lovely subtle advert.

You must be in the good books of the moderators.....
Old 15 May 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2463140)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Lovely subtle advert.

You must be in the good books of the moderators.....
Ouch!

I am really not well connected in the Historic Racing scene, in fact I have never competed in any HSCC type event, only the VSCC Pomeroy Trophy and two events in France, Angouleme and Etretat.

Now VSCC racing and hillclimbs, that is a different matter.

I could really do with some advice, where do people successfully advertise their cars?

Steve McQueen.
Old 15 May 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2463179)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am happy for it to stay here. Mike's a regular poster and the car is most interesting and he is seeking advice. It's also such a one-off oddball, that I guess the usual markets may not be the right ones to sell in, and very difficult to place a value on, too.
Old 16 May 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2463225)   #8
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I spoke to you at the Pom last year whilst you were waiting to drive. You told me about the fatality there and how that was to be the first time it had been driven since.

The way it handled that day looked to be quirky at the least! Loads of fun!
Old 16 May 2009, 04:17 (Ref:2463235)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sent PM Mike.
Old 16 May 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2463265)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seems it can do many things and any reasonable priced 50's Sports Car will sell correctly priced.Some of the Major Series cater for those cars so assume in Auction terms its 45/70K.Terry will sort it !
Old 16 May 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2463284)   #11
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
I spoke to you at the Pom last year whilst you were waiting to drive. You told me about the fatality there and how that was to be the first time it had been driven since.

It handles a lot better now, thank goodness!

The big problem was tyres, I had been persuaded to buy Excelsior Comp V tyres, they are so bad I got a refund, now in Dunlops and all is predictable.

It is a lot of fun.

Steve McQueen.
Old 16 May 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2463286)   #12
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Sent PM Mike.
Thanks Terry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
I spoke to you at the Pom last year whilst you were waiting to drive.................

It handles a lot better now, thank goodness!

The big problem was tyres, I had been persuaded to buy Excelsior Comp V tyres, they are so bad I got a refund, now on Dunlops and all is predictable.

It is a lot of fun.

Last edited by eclectic; 16 May 2009 at 07:41. Reason: spelling!

Steve McQueen.
Old 16 May 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2463327)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike,

To answer a question you posed. JR's 1/4 had me puzzled but I think he means April 1.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 16 May 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2463364)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

You cracked the code!

VSCC Mag is best bet and with Classic and Sportscar ad .
Most of the Woodcote lot are VSCC members. C & S is read by more people than the rest of the glossy rags put together.
No dealers.It's much to complicated for them.
The Duncan Wiltshire thing is probably the quickest way to get rid of it and it can get HTP's.
Old 17 May 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2464048)   #15
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could try www.racecarsdirect.com
Its mainly more modern stuff, but somtimes older things do come up on there.
Simon
Old 18 May 2009, 06:45 (Ref:2464304)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting car Mike, a lot like many similar specials racing out here.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2483985)   #17
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
One more bit of advice before needed from you all, I have decided to get an HTP for it.

I downloaded and printed up what I thought was the the form, all eleven pages, then noticed the form says; Form GB Category Single-seater Racing Car Period A-19 to 19.

So, obviously not the right form, my car is a sports car, ie two seats, it ran in period, 1953 with no front wings or lights. I have it equipped with them to run as an invited sports car, so it has tax and Mot and I take it out on the road from time to time.

I am appallingly ignorant when it comes to Historic Racing, which form do I need?

Can anyone supply me with the right URL?

I had two great days at Harewood with the SAM, what a hooligan's car!

Steve McQueen.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2484251)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you might be appallingly ignorant when it comes to Historic Racing but you seem fairly adept at keeping your marketing thread alive on the most tenious of excuses!

I suggest that you contact MSA and ask them......
Old 16 Jun 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2484254)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simon, put a sock in it! See my post #7! Mike, it stays, but please let us know the outcome, ie what form turns out to be the correct one etc and what procedures you went through to get an HTP. I, too, am 'appallingly ignorant in such mattters.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2484277)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, the answer is that you need to get an Inspector sorted via the MSA who will hopefully sort that part of the form out. The download has facility if you click on some highlighted parts at top to choose the category, but best to get chatting with the said Inspector and get advice from them.

Oh, and will be interested to know if you also have to put down gear teeth count for all gears in your 'box as well. (Latest requirement!)

Hope that helps
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2484285)   #21
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mike, the answer is that you need to get an Inspector sorted via the MSA who will hopefully sort that part of the form out. The download has facility if you click on some highlighted parts at top to choose the category, but best to get chatting with the said Inspector and get advice from them.

Oh, and will be interested to know if you also have to put down gear teeth count for all gears in your 'box as well. (Latest requirement!)

Hope that helps
Well, I'm not going to dismantle my car to answer that one, what a load of bull! I just hope the guy who rebuilt it knows the answer, I suspect that most of us will just put down whatever the text book says and keep their fingers crossed.

No wonder I have decided never to compete in Historic racing, sell my car and return to the world of the VSCC.

Anyone would think that the MSA believes that there is a lot of cheating going on and that it can be controlled by more and more bureaucracy. I have a Blue Book for 1967, it is about as thick as the advertising section of the 2009 edition!

I shall put the money towards finishing this.

Steve McQueen.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2484289)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair to the MSA the HTP is an FIA thing, so better to blame them! The Inspectors are probably as frustrated as us owners at trying to find out how many teeth are on each gear........
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2484291)   #23
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
you might be appallingly ignorant when it comes to Historic Racing but you seem fairly adept at keeping your marketing thread alive on the most tenious of excuses!

I suggest that you contact MSA and ask them......
Simon, I find that a very offensive remark, I have no illusions that this thread will sell my car, you must have a very inflated view of the influence of the ten Ten Tenths forum.

Of course I have contacted the MSA inspector nearest me for more help, but so far, no response.

Usually this community is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Pity that you, Simon, seem to think that I am only in it for the money and only post here to promote my car. It makes me wonder what your motives might be.

I run old cars on the hills and circuits for fun.

We shouldn't forget that is the motive for most of us, though no doubt there are some folks who do it for personal glorification or business.

Attitudes and comments like yours coupled with the appalling state of the paddocks at historic race meetings, with larger and larger 'rigs' and mobile homes, with hardly any racing cars visible, making the paddock more akin to a Caravan Club weekend than a motor sport weekend, are some of the reasons that I have decided not to get further involved in post war historic motor sport.

Steve McQueen.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2484294)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hmmm, looks a bit 328 ish but I don't think that double bubble dash is right for that. Also it's difficult to size the car. Interesting, anyway!

Mike, I suspect Simon had a broad grin on his face when he wrote that; probably just being mischievous! Keep it nice, please, folks!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2484300)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eclectic you are far too sensitive to a little poke! If you are trying to sell your car you should use whatever free advertising you can and given genuine enthusiasts and drivers readthis forum I would say it is quite a good place - all publicity is good publicity and to show there was no genuine malice in my comments I have replied to keep your thread at the top of the page!
Asto your comments on rigs you clearly have not seen ours - it is a 40 year old converted bus that has been used for racing for at least 20 years!!!!