Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Dec 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1801835)   #1
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flying Lizard receive 997 RSR

it is offical and on planetlemans, flying lizard have received their porsche 997 GT3 RSR's, i also gather they are the first team to receive customer 997 porker's as well.

so we already have it confirmed in black and white, that one of the best teams in ALMS has their car(s) for 2007.

now who will follow suit with anymore porshe 997's?, i can remember hearing somewere that a team was going to run an ethanol powered GT2 porsche, out of curiosity who was it?

im all for the advancement of ethanol, the messiah in my opinion of performance motoring and motorsport when, the perverbial bloopie of oil hits the fan
Old 30 Dec 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1801947)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
it is offical and on planetlemans, flying lizard have received their porsche 997 GT3 RSR's, i also gather they are the first team to receive customer 997 porker's as well.

so we already have it confirmed in black and white, that one of the best teams in ALMS has their car(s) for 2007.

now who will follow suit with anymore porshe 997's?,
See the other thread on GT2

Quote:
i can remember hearing somewere that a team was going to run an ethanol powered GT2 porsche, out of curiosity who was it?

im all for the advancement of ethanol,
No one. or FIA/ ACO races Ethanol is not allowed at this time or in 2007. Maybe in the future.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1801991)   #3
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No one. or FIA/ ACO races Ethanol is not allowed at this time or in 2007. Maybe in the future.
The ACO's recent rules update said GT alternative fuel rules, including ethanol would be introduced in ALMS in 2007 and LMS in 2008.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1802009)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
The ACO's recent rules update said GT alternative fuel rules, including ethanol would be introduced in ALMS in 2007 and LMS in 2008.
I remeber there was talk about alternative fuels, however, Not sure where you saw that. Do you have the reference?

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...2007_fr_gb.pdf
ART. 2 - FUEL
Competitors have to use the fuel supplied by the organiser :
specifications upon request.

from ACO Supplement:
Art. 2 - Fuel
2.1 - Facilities : Ref. ACO 2007 Specifications
Technical Regulations - Appendix A.
2.2 – The competitors have to use the fuel supplied by the Organiser.
2.3 – Only one kind of petrol and one kind of diesel will be supplied.

sourece: http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...ulier_2007.pdf

GT2 rules

ART. 17 - FUEL
17.1 - Fuel :
The Organiser will supply one type of fuel only. It must be
available for sale.
17.2 - Specifications : Ref. : International Sporting Code
(Appendix J - Art. 252.9.1.).
17.3 - Special fuels :
The use of any fuel other than gasoline (petrol) is subject to a
special request submitted to the agreement of the Automobile-
Club de l'Ouest and the ASN if necessary.
ART.
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...MGT2_fr_gb.pdf
Old 31 Dec 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1802441)   #5
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the ACO's official rules release, 19 October, 2006:

FUEL: In 2007, the ACO will supply only one kind of petrol and one kind of diesel for the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Le Mans Series events. To meet the requests of several entrants who want to use bio fuels, the ACO is currently evaluating the possibility of supplying a type of diesel and petrol in 2008 that contain a certain quantity of bio fuel. These fuels will be compatible with current engines.

However, the ACO agrees that the American Le Mans Series supply a third kind of fuel based on ethanol for its events in 2007. The capacity of the fuel tanks will be adjusted in such a way that the quantity of energy will be the same whether it is petrol or diesel. For safety reasons the capacity of the fuel tank cannot exceed 110 litres.

http://murphythebear.com/blog/
Old 31 Dec 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1802447)   #6
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
110 liters of ethanol will not give you the same milage as 90 liters of gasoline so that basically cancels that idea.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1802472)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
From the ACO's official rules release, 19 October, 2006:

FUEL: In 2007, the ACO will supply only one kind of petrol and one kind of diesel for the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Le Mans Series events. To meet the requests of several entrants who want to use bio fuels, the ACO is currently evaluating the possibility of supplying a type of diesel and petrol in 2008 that contain a certain quantity of bio fuel. These fuels will be compatible with current engines.

However, the ACO agrees that the American Le Mans Series supply a third kind of fuel based on ethanol for its events in 2007. The capacity of the fuel tanks will be adjusted in such a way that the quantity of energy will be the same whether it is petrol or diesel. For safety reasons the capacity of the fuel tank cannot exceed 110 litres.

http://murphythebear.com/blog/
Unfortunitly the change and posting of the ACO RULES FOR 2007 override this Oct 19 release.

IMSA rules for the ALMS have not been released as of yet. For the most part follow the ACO regulations.

Plus as Chewymoster mentions, 110 liters of ethonal will not come close to the milage of petrol.

I think there is a time and a place for bio-fuels. Time to study the possiblity of the fuels, unforuntitly the engery (btu production) with bio-fuels or bio blended petrol or desiel fuels are not the same a petrol & desiel fuels.

If an ethonal powered vehical takes the track at Sebring for winter testing in a few weeks time, so be it.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1802491)   #8
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was 15 years ago but when we switched from gas to Methanol (not Ethanol) we almost doubled the jet sizes on our Webers. Ethanol is not that much different.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1802984)   #9
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunitly the change and posting of the ACO RULES FOR 2007 override this Oct 19 release.

IMSA rules for the ALMS have not been released as of yet. For the most part follow the ACO regulations.

Plus as Chewymoster mentions, 110 liters of ethonal will not come close to the milage of petrol.

I think there is a time and a place for bio-fuels. Time to study the possiblity of the fuels, unforuntitly the engery (btu production) with bio-fuels or bio blended petrol or desiel fuels are not the same a petrol & desiel fuels.

If an ethonal powered vehical takes the track at Sebring for winter testing in a few weeks time, so be it.
How do the 2007 ACO rules override that release? It says that those rules (for LMS and Le Mans) will not include an allowance for ethanol fuel until 2008. The next paragraph gives ALMS (IMSA) that clearance. We won't know if that "permission" is taken up or not until IMSA and ALMS publish their rules - which recently (with "performance balancing") have much more substantially than this varied from the ACO "base."

That fuel would not have to be 100% ethanol, would it? Don't read too much into the 110 liter limit. ALMS/IMSA has had a committee of manufacturers and other partners working on an ethanol rule for most of the past season. Leaping to conclusions based on the published information currently at hand would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Last edited by TWK; 1 Jan 2007 at 20:55.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1803000)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK

That fuel would not have to be 100% ethanol, would it? Don't read too much into the 110 liter limit. ALMS/IMSA has had a committee of manufacturers and other partners working on an ethanol rule for most of the past season. Leaping to conclusions based on the published information currently at hand would be a mistake, in my opinion.
I agree, and would not also thinking a team would use ethanol or methanol would also be a bit premature?

Then there is the competitive issue . . .
Old 1 Jan 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1803087)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
How do the 2007 ACO rules override that release? It says that those rules (for LMS and Le Mans) will not include an allowance for ethanol fuel until 2008. The next paragraph gives ALMS (IMSA) that clearance. We won't know if that "permission" is taken up or not until IMSA and ALMS publish their rules - which recently (with "performance balancing") have much more substantially than this varied from the ACO "base."

Does IMSA/ALMS have an anual release date for their rules publication or is it by edict when they get around to it?? I have found no such info.

L.P.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1803088)   #12
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
I agree, and would not also thinking a team would use ethanol or methanol would also be a bit premature?

Then there is the competitive issue . . .
I certainly don't think there is a team planning to enter a car that is ethanol powered, nor have I said so. I'm not going to rule out the possibility, however, because as soon as someone chooses to, there will be a rule in place in the ALMS that will allow it. Count on that.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1803104)   #13
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
IMSA / ALMS rules follow the ACO rules very closely. Should be out very soon.

Scott Atherton, I believe has been working to unify the rules with the ACO.