Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1334664)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
News just in from Le Mans (well Jase at Le Mans, actually)

I got a phone call from Jase earlier today and he has asked me to post the following:

Jase had a CRACKING short BREAK at Le Mans and ended up getting well and truly PLASTERED

Message ends.

Jase will explain more fully when he gets home, but I think those of you who know him might guess beforehand what he's hinting at.

Sheila
Old 20 Jun 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1334878)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, sounds like he had a good time
Old 20 Jun 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1334893)   #3
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK Sheila, what did he break?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1335021)   #4
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have inside knowledge of Jase BREAKing news, but will not put my FOOT in it and let you all know before Jase tells you.

Unless forced to,

SRB also had a race weekend to remember as it was her first Le Mans.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1335027)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm confused. I thought Jase was in the States... well, Radio 5 Live kept saying Jason Gore was in the leading group in the US Open...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1335063)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I'm confused. I thought Jase was in the States... well, Radio 5 Live kept saying Jason Gore was in the leading group in the US Open...
Silly boy! Same name, different person!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1335114)   #7
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Silly boy! Same name, different person!

Are you shaw Sheila! I always wounder what Jase did when not in the pits.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1335116)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer
Are you shaw Sheila! I always wounder what Jase did when not in the pits.
As little as possible Andrew, same as the rest of us!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1335156)   #9
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Well Sheila from what I know is wrong with Jase he'll have plenty of of time to put his foot up and prefect the art's of resting and doing very little.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1335163)   #10
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Well Sheila from what I know is wrong with Jase he'll have plenty of of time to put his foot up and prefect the art's of resting and doing very little.
Indeed he will, Andrew. But let's not steal his thunder - let him explain more tomorrow when he arrives home courtesy of PaddyAir and the insurance company!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1335538)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We staggered in from Le Mans in the early hours of this morning, as an update....Jase got clipped by a car on the campsite on Sunday morning and has fractured a bone in the top of his foot.

He was pretty shaken up by it initially and managed two trips in an ambulance - but by the time the rest of us broke camp yesterday morning he was pretty upbeat and was even able to manage to do the washing up and help out a bit as the rest of us were struggling to get the stuff sorted before heading off to our respective ferries!

Unfortunately for various reason he had had to remain on the campsite for Sunday and Sunday night rather than getting to the hotel his insurers had arranged for him in Tours - it wasn't very pleasant for him in the near 40 degree heat of the campsite.

Having seen the x-ray it's a small clean fracture that will heal well. In the great way of a non NHS health service he has plaster from his toes to his knee and will no doubt be accepting autographs on it!

I'm not looking forward to the phone bill after spending most of Sunday persuading his insurers that he did need to be flown home and that he couldn't travel back in the back of my car. The woman at the insurers took forever to understand that it wasn't possible to get the car out of the campsite, let alone to just pop out of the circuit into Le Mans and back again to visit the hospital as the entire road network was gridlocked for a ten mile radius! Clearly a woman who's never been to a Silverstone GP!!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll hear more from him on his return. I'm off to wax lyrical about another fantastic Le Mans on the sportscar forum. The place really is fantastic and despite Jase's misfortune Simon and I had a fantastic time - I really don't have to words to describe how fab it was. If you've never been make sure you put it on the list for next year - you'll have a ball and (I suppose the inevitable pun) and cracking time!!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1335676)   #12
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed he will, Andrew. But let's not steal his thunder - let him explain more tomorrow when he arrives home courtesy of PaddyAir and the insurance company!
And Piglets FOURS hours on the phone as they refused to accept he was not able to get back to UK in a car!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1335876)   #13
DirtyBertie
Rookie

England
In the Bedroom
DirtyBertie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all this talk about Jase, anybody have news on SRB I understand her first ever trip to Le Mans was not the greatest.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1336117)   #14
FREE996
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon Wiltshire
FREE996 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I always wounder what Jase did when not in the pits.
Some of us wondered what he did in the pits too
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1336118)   #15
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jase is in fine spirits as he is now back home being fussed over! Thankfully things went well on Monday with our return to Le Mans Hospital and visit to Tours (found a lovely bar, had a wonderful lunch/dinner meal, got Sheila a load of visitor's promo leaflets ready for her trip - all vineyards!), plus we couldn't have got more help at the airport (apart from the security hiccups!). Our French has improved amazingly, as has our acting skills, needed to fill in the gaps our French and the local's English left!

As for the phone bills, if you blank out all the irrelevant numbers and let Jase have a copy of the bill, he can try to claim the cost back from his travel insurance - along with the £300 I paid out to get his medicine and crutches, my phone calls, plus taxis, hotel bill.........

I still can't say I've really been to Le Mans as I think we only saw maybe 2 hours!

Thanks also to everyone we bumped into who asked after Jase, and to the marshals who offered help.

We'll keep you informed with his progress - hope the NHS is as quick and smooth as the French medical system, but hopefully cheaper!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1336439)   #16
MrTom
Rookie

MrTom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Storm in a teacup???

Oooo! - do I sense a falling out here!!!! What has Piglet done to upset RedSkyButton?

Or am I getting a little off topic!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1336461)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTom
Oooo! - do I sense a falling out here!!!! What has Piglet done to upset RedSkyButton?

Or am I getting a little off topic!
how about not reading previous posts:

Quote:

Old 21 Jun 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1336507)   #18
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, I obviously had no idea what you were on about sheila - by plastered I assumed you meant something else..
Old 22 Jun 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1336919)   #19
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SRB isn't upset with Piglet's post, she was just emphasising how expensive a thing like this can get.

I am so glad Tracey was there at the time to think straight, start first aid despite being ill herself, getting the medics by going to the main gate and dealing with people who spoke NO English and then staying with me throughout the day.

Tracey spoke to the insurance company initially and got the ball rolling, whilst I was in no state to talk to anyone, and then spoke to my mum.

Once discharged back to the campsite (why I'll never know!) I went down with heat exhaustion, Tracey was struggling with that too, but put me first and came back to the med centre with me and we both got treated. Eventually, we were both given the all clear (with me in just my undies and a bad taste shirt). Tracey then fought to get us a lift back to the campsite. We eventually got dropped off half a mile from the campsite (around an hour's 'hop' back) and she harrassed English cars for water for me and made me rest in the shade of buses!

What didn't help was the insurance company telling us something different to what had been discussed with Piglet, therefore making matters even more confusing and stressful (at several points during the day, we both thought we were stuck in France!). However, Tracey had made tentative arrangements to get us home somehow, plus sorted money for ferries and care for me once back in England with her mother. I'm very grateful to Andrew for his part in that too.

On Monday we finally managed to get off the campsite to go to Tours via the hospital again to get a fit to fly certificate and my plaster sorted (again an Oscar to Tracey for acting prowess to sort that - she should do Give Us A Clue!). Taxis for Monday only cost £125

Once checked in, we decided we needed food (first proper meal in a couple of days!) so we tried the hotel, but they didn't serve food during the day, so we ended up in a nice little cafe eating spaghetti and a slice of ham with gravy (yum!) Tracey insulted my cooking by saying that odd mix was the best meal she'd had for ages!

We booked a table for dinner for 8pm at the hotel, went for a nap and then cancelled dinner and slept on until morning! Tracey sorted out a 'bed bath' for me - my first decent wash in three days - and washed my hair, helped me inject the medication I've been given and dress, and then provided a waitress service at the buffet breakfast for me.

The half hour taxi ride to the airport only took 10 minutes, and once we'd managed to check in, I was sat in the cafe whilst Tracey sorted out drinks and getting me on the plane and the hassle we had with security. I now have first hand experience of how nervous a flyer she is, but she coped commendably reminding me to keep moving my toes. Once at Stansted and off the plane (Tracey threatened to kiss the ground Pope-style!) with me in a wheelchair and our rucksack on her back, she pushed me around the airport and out to the taxi - the first thing apart from the flights that we didn't have to pay for.

I am now at home, being threatened that my crutches will be wired to a battery and used as a cattle prod whenever I try to move without Tracey's help. The love has rearranged holiday to look after me for the rest of this week.

I couldn't have gotten through the past few days without her, and the report I have heard that she was totally useless in France is totally wrong! She may not be one to sort out insurance companies, but she is great for patient care, compassion and piece of mind!

Thanks also to Piglet and Simon for liasing with the insurance people and financial assistance, which I will repay as soon as possible.

I really hope my doctor says I can have alcohol on my medication (or better still cut the medication out!), because I could really do with a beer!!!

Next question - can anyone help with me moving house in a couple of weeks????
Old 22 Jun 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1336932)   #20
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Jase is not a proper marshal!!!

Cattle prod crutches???

I'd duct tape him to the chair if he had any of the stuff - he can't be a proper marshal, he hasn't 'acquired' any! Got to stop him from moving somehow - he was told to rest and keep that leg raised!

He is asking if he can have a low profile tread put on his cast - he'll be wanting aero wings on the crutches next! God knows what adaptations he'd make to any wheelchair!!!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1336994)   #21
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase

I am so glad Tracey was there at the time to think straight, start first aid despite being ill herself,

Once discharged back to the campsite (why I'll never know!) I went down with heat exhaustion, Tracey then fought to get us a lift back to the campsite. We eventually got dropped off half a mile from the campsite (around an hour's 'hop' back) Taxis for Monday only cost £125

Once checked in, we decided we needed food (first proper meal in a couple of days!)

I couldn't have gotten through the past few days without her
Is this what people mean by "The LeMans Experience"?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1337006)   #22
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRedButton
He can't be a proper marshal, he hasn't 'acquired' any!

Is that acquire duct tape or crutches?

I have both stored by the front door ready for any emergency.

Glad to here you and Jase are back in the UK. Jase is lucky you are nursing him and not your mother.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1337038)   #23
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Glad to see you both back home.

Tracey, if he starts being an awkward patient or refuses to rest, break his other foot - then he won't have a leg to stand on
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1337049)   #24
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Just remember Tracey, when it is for Jase to start walking "focus the mind" before every step.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1337071)   #25
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
He has been promised a week at mothers! We must be an odd couple - not many have his & hers matching crutches!

Just returned from his doctors - it is a broken 5th metatarsal, has to carry on injecting the heparin for the time being, and we are now waiting for an appointment from a fracture clinic to get an expert to treat it, but with time it should heal without anything major. Jase has been signed off for four weeks.

And now the good news - he can drink in moderation!!!