Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2011, 02:07 (Ref:2984194)   #1
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron Howard's F1 film, "Rush"

I think everyone must have heard about this movie (not yet in production), but I couldn't find a thread about it, so I'll get it started.

If the film is to make its debut in Austin next November, then both Tavo Hellmund and Ron Howard have a lot of work to do before then.

Ron Howard’s F1 Film Could Debut at U.S. Grand Prix
By EricPickhartz - Thursday November 10, 2011 - 4:48 pm

According to a story in Variety, film director Ron Howard’s movie "Rush," based on the 1970s rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda and their respective Formula One racing teams, could make its American debut during the Nov. 18, 2012 U.S. Grand Prix to be held in Austin.

Exclusive Films Intl. president Alex Walton told Variety that “We believe the film will be a major event title at the end of 2012,” and that its domestic launch could be attached to the F1 race at the Circuit of the Americas track debut.

Shooting for the film is slated to start in February, on location at Formula One tracks in Silverstone, England and Nurburgring, Germany...

Old 11 Nov 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2984206)   #2
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If people don't know who Lauda and Hunt are by now then they don't deserve to know.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2984321)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder who are the actors that will impersonate Lauda and Hunt...
Old 11 Nov 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2984333)   #4
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The link BobHWS cites is the same one I find on IMDB. Tentative details there suggest
Chris Hemsworth (Thor) as Hunt and Daniel Brühl as Lauda
Old 11 Nov 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2984334)   #5
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
check out @realronhoward on twitter
Old 11 Nov 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2984465)   #6
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the article:

Lauda (played by Daniel Bruhl of Inglorious Basterds) and Hunt (played by Chris Hemsworth of Thor) represented one of F1’s biggest rivalries to date.

Ron Howard on F1, Hunt and Lauda:

“...These are fascinating characters -- ballsy, masculine guys. It was a very dangerous era in racing, and here are two absolute individuals at the height of their powers. It makes for great drama and very exciting action. I wasn’t a die-hard Formula One fan before I read Peter’s script, but I’ve been immersing myself in this world. I think the excitement I feel as a fresh convert may be infectious.”
Old 11 Nov 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2984551)   #7
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.slashfilm.com/ron-howard-...-rush-weekend/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ron-H...ope-26710.html

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/ron...mula-1_1254693

3 thoughts.
1, the wirter also wrote Frost/Nixon. A great film imo.

2, Apollo 13 was a great film too about a forgotten story.

3, This worries me, mention is made of filming at Silverstone. Maybe someone should Twitter Ron and say 1976 the British GP was at Brands Hatch, remember the 1st corner accident and Hunt being disqualified and then re-instated because of crowd reaction?
Old 11 Nov 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2984554)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
Shooting for the film is slated to start in February, on location at Formula One tracks in Silverstone, England and Nurburgring, Germany...
The 1976 championship didn't go to Silverstone. I'm not nit picking, but It made me wonder how they will manage to get a realistic look of 1976 style tracks.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2984558)   #9
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The 1976 championship didn't go to Silverstone. I'm not nit picking, but It made me wonder how they will manage to get a realistic look of 1976 style tracks.
There's been talk of filming in 35mm so as to give it a more authentic period look, maybe that would be a way of incorporating footage??
The Senna film wasn't exactly HD. It depends what the director visualises as important.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2984560)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Not a film about a progressive rock band then ?

But if they can fit 'Red Barchetta' in there somewhere, I'll definitely go and watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
Old 12 Nov 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2984569)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good point Adam, but if there is a modern film director that can do F1 justice, it's Ron Howard..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2984571)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Not a film about a progressive rock band then ?

But if they can fit 'Red Barchetta' in there somewhere, I'll definitely go and watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
Oh yeah ! Tha'rocks !
Old 12 Nov 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2984720)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps someone can explain the proposed title? I too thought of the rock band when I first saw it here.I was at the '76 Brands GP and saw it again the other day on ESPN Classic-think its on again today.Brands looks somewhat different today-theyve demolished all the stands I sat in 1964-86.Nurburgring Nordschleife also a bit different I think-was last time used for F1.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2984732)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I wonder who are the actors that will impersonate Lauda and Hunt...
Really ought to be Schwarzennegger and Colin Farrel if you want the right characters... Might be a hint of a problem getting Arnie into a car.

Ron Howard making a film about a great rivalry, a spectacle of a season and two of the most colourful characters in the sport has the potential to be the best motor racing film ever.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2984846)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Perhaps someone can explain the proposed title? I too thought of the rock band when I first saw it here.
I suspect it is because th album 2112 was released that year and it was also the total number of race miles Hunt completed that year.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3052275)   #16
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been watching some filming for Rush. Doing James Hunt's wedding and using St John's Church, Smith Sqaure, London for the scene. Some nice (road) cars around plus lots of people in dodgy 70's clothes...
Old 2 Apr 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3052547)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
In '76 they used Brands for the GP, it hasn't changed that much since then.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3053008)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
In '76 they used Brands for the GP, it hasn't changed that much since then.
They most certainly did. I went to that race and it had pretty much everything you could want in it, during and afterwards.

Brands hasn't changed that much and with a bit of CGI it could look as it did in '76.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3053075)   #19
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They most certainly did. I went to that race and it had pretty much everything you could want in it, during and afterwards.

Brands hasn't changed that much and with a bit of CGI it could look as it did in '76.

And they will be doing some shooting at Brands Hatch. They've already done the scouting at the circuit.

Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3053117)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
And they will be doing some shooting at Brands Hatch. They've already done the scouting at the circuit.
It'll be interesting to see how Brands turns out in the movie.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3053168)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Brands turns out in the movie.
We might see an end to the mighty Paddock hill gravel trap with a return to catch fencing.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3053176)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
We might see an end to the mighty Paddock hill gravel trap with a return to catch fencing.
I don't remember any catch fencing but I remember the large grass run off area, as in this picture of Lauda taken at Brands.

Though the catch fencing could be at the first part of Paddock Hill bend?
Old 4 Apr 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3053458)   #23
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Some photos from the set of the film:

New Images from the Set of Ron Howard’s RUSH Featuring Olivia Wilde and Chris Hemsworth
collider.com
by Adam Chitwood Posted:April 3rd, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Ron Howard is currently in the middle of production on his period Formula 1 racing drama Rush, but the director has a new tool in tow on this film that’s giving fans an inside track on how the shoot’s going. Howard has been making frequent use of his Twitter account to share a bevy of photos from the set, documenting everything from location scouting, costuming, filming, and editing. For those unaware, the film chronicles the 1970s rivalry between Austrian F1 driver Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) and British driver James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth).

Old 5 Apr 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3054229)   #24
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly am looking forward to watching this
Old 5 Apr 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3054280)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It looks good.