Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 8 Dec 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2996814)   #1
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA Formula Two / FIA F2 - 2012 Season

The 2012 calendar has been announced:

Code:
13/14/15 April 	        Silverstone, United Kingdom
27/28/29 April 	        Algarve, Portugal
25/26/27 May 	        Nürburgring, Germany
22/23/24/June 	        Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
13/14/15 July 	        Brands Hatch, United Kingdom
20/21/22 July 	        Paul Ricard, France
7/8/9 September 	Hungaroring, Hungary*
28/29/30 September 	Monza, Italy

*Subject to ASN approval
In: Portimao , Paul Ricard , Hungaroring
Out: Magny-Cours (meh), Red Bull Ring (boo! ), Bore-calona

So they've lost one current F1 circuit, but gained another. Paul Ricard must be a good addition for drivers with an eye to future GP2 testing. After breaking away from the WTCC, another impressive calendar I'd say?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2996867)   #2
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. It's a good schedule. Interesting that it should be announced now ahead of the 2 day "Borcelona" test next week. With next years dates in mind perhaps Portugal would have been more appropriate for the winter test?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2996888)   #3
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The series is again supporting the International GT Open / European F3 Open package, this time at 7 of the 8 events.

I guess Silverstone is cheaper for JP than Barcelona. Certainly drivers generally want to know Barcelona.

There were also two days testing at Jerez scheduled but these were cancelled due to very low take up. Lots of reports of free or very, very cheap tests for drivers next week as well.

Last edited by peebee2; 8 Dec 2011 at 08:55. Reason: gr.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2996926)   #4
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone probably works out the same as Barcelona cost-wise, as the date is not shared by GT Open. It's good to have two British F2 rounds.

Think you'll find all series offer winter tests at pretty much cost-prices to attract drivers.

I'm gutted we're not going back to Austria. It was the most amazing circuit I've been to. But Paul Ricard and Budapest will be fun. More so than Magny-Cours anyway
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2996944)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really, jack? outside of f2, historically winter tests have been where teams can make money, and not just to cover the winter overheads?

budapest is fantastic. balls to anyone who thinks it's a dull track, you need to put your sky subscription where your mouth is and get on a plane/the road and go and visit it. the fans are awesome and hungary is a fantastic country. it's a great circuit to spectate at - think brands for views of the circuit, but bigger.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2996946)   #6
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
Perhaps not all series, but certainly I've heard you can get a GP3 test very cheaply these days...

Anyway, let's not get in to an F2 pros/cons debate already
Old 8 Dec 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2996949)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i was excluding the general fail series like gpleafblower and others

what else is there to do all winter but criticise f2?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2996952)   #8
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
I can't think of a witty response there Bella...

Have you been to an F2 event? Come to one next year and I'll show you how it works and brainwash you.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2996974)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i haven't actually! none of my 3 local rounds work but the algarve rounds could. i've never been to portugal so maybe that's one to cross off the list...

the monza round clashes with the wsr at paul ricard which if i wasn't such a rabid wsr fangirl would make an epic weekender. one day at monza, one day at paul ricard. it's about 4-5 hours drive between the two....
Old 8 Dec 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2997000)   #10
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
Well if you end up coming, let me know and I'll sort you out.

There are some interesting names for the winter test next week. Revealed tomorrow potentially.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2997007)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
noted. i'll bring earplugs to insulate against the propaganda

it'll be interesting to see what mirko bortolotti does with 2012 - it's easy enough to see how for a driver like him it's a great way to get access to a f1 test.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2997019)   #12
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
Yup. And he matched Bottas' first day time too. I've said it a million times, but I don't see what's wrong with a series where you can't buy the championship!!

Also will be interesting to see Dean Stoneman's return as well, it's great that he'll be back out racing in WSbR hopefully.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2997021)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i thought you said we weren't going to get into a pro/con debate... :P

the problem comes when not being able to buy the title is the only pro of a series

i think it's a pity nobody has managed to convert the f1 test into any form of career momentum yet (not just f1-bound). i'd argue that stoneman actually has the best chance of doing that in terms of pace. has there been any noise from bortolotti about what he'll be looking at doing next year?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2997099)   #14
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
Well to be fair, Dean had momentum from the F1 test until his diagnosis, setting decent times when he wasn't physically perfect.

Don't know what Mirko will be doing next year. Clearly GP2 is the aim, but if he can't find €2m then he may end up doing DTM or something.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2997132)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah, i was thinking momentum into other f1 tests and that sort of thing but you're totally right. i think what he's doing is very inspiring to anybody and everyone - getting on with things and carrying on as he was before might not seem like much, but it makes whinging about a crap day at work look pretty pathetic in comparison
Old 9 Dec 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2997436)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good thread so far!

I am looking forward to seeing who's on that test list Jack...

The series badly needs a couple of real hot shots to sign up next year. Maybe if some decent names do the test it'll be a good pull?

What we need to see is Dean and Mirko both in FR3.5 next season and do well which will benefit F2.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2997445)   #17
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Good thread so far!

I am looking forward to seeing who's on that test list Jack...

The series badly needs a couple of real hot shots to sign up next year. Maybe if some decent names do the test it'll be a good pull?

What we need to see is Dean and Mirko both in FR3.5 next season and do well which will benefit F2.
Latest from the F2 website:

http://www.formulatwo.com/news/malve...join-test.aspx
Old 9 Dec 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2997468)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
now that could be a really good career move for malvern... good call!
Old 9 Dec 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2997499)   #19
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
now that could be a really good career move for malvern... good call!

Thank you Bella!
Old 9 Dec 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2997734)   #20
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Think you'll find all series offer winter tests at pretty much cost-prices to attract drivers.
An impressive level of niavete! Is that what people in F2 say?

I think you'll find all teams and series in demand charge correct, full costs for testing and generally are always full.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2997982)   #21
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post

I think you'll find all teams and series in demand charge correct, full costs for testing and generally are always full.
Oh. Well then it's just my naivety Apologies.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2998124)   #22
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post

I think you are the naive one here!

GP3 and GP2 have been giving away extremely cheap tests this winter. Some teams in FR3.5 have been able to sell tests at full price I think but still there have been deals going on for the testing for them as well.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2998127)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
shall we all agree that things are constantly changing and that some teams are better at scoring drivers at full rate than others for tests before the handbags come out?
Old 10 Dec 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2998130)   #24
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_fan View Post
I think you are the naive one here!

GP3 and GP2 have been giving away extremely cheap tests this winter. Some teams in FR3.5 have been able to sell tests at full price I think but still there have been deals going on for the testing for them as well.
Perhaps you missed it but I wrote "teams and series IN DEMAND."

FR3.5 testing has been oversubscribed, with budgets of €15,000, even €20,000, being quoted per day. Many F3 teams are rammed out full for next week's annual tests in Valencia and Barcelona, prices usually around €8,000 per day. Good FR2.0 teams at around €5,000 per day.

F2 has announced three non-paying "prize" drivers (Malvern, Slaghekke, Fontana) and two paying God knows what (Liberati and Calamia). Other drivers report calls from them offering very cheap deals (like pay for the tyres only) to fill seats but prefer to drive FR2.0 or F3 at Valencia. Maybe they are about to announce a stellar testing line-up of drivers paying the proper price for the privilege. Or maybe they are not.

GP3 and GP2 teams are obligated to run cars at their official tests and, surprise, surprise, drivers take advantage of that!

Last edited by peebee2; 10 Dec 2011 at 18:38. Reason: gr.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2998966)   #25
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list for Tuesday's testing:

2 Miki Monras (ESP)
3 Christopher Zanella (CHE)
4 Aaron Steele (GBR)
5 Sandro Zeller (CHE)
6 Vittorio Ghirelli (ITA)
7 Scott Malvern (GBR)
8 Mauro Calamia (CHE)
9 Mihai Marinescu (ROM)
12 Kelvin Snoeks (NED)
13 Alex Craven (GBR)
18 Edoardo Liberati (ITA)