Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 7 Mar 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3215613)   #26
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesurge View Post
Thanks thebear. Just to clarify a little, I've actually already bought my supertickets at the early bird price, but great advice nonetheless!

Basically, the reason behind my asking is that I've booked accommodation a little further out from Sebring and will be driving to the track on both Friday and Saturday. I've already bought the parking pass so was trying to determine what time to get to Sebring on Saturday morning to avoid an excessively long line of cars getting into the place.

Based on your advice, I'll probably try to reach the track around 7.30 on Sat morning. What time does the gridwalk usually take place at? Just before the race itself around 10am?
The best time to see the cars up close is not during the grid walk but actually be in the paddock during morning warm up.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3215641)   #27
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The best time to see the cars up close is not during the grid walk but actually be in the paddock during morning warm up.
Yep, or on proceeding days during formation for practice or qualifying. Grid walk is packed!
Old 7 Mar 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3215655)   #28
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Leaving early tomorrow morning for Orlando, do a couple of days visiting friends and then off to the track on Tuesday!

Four long days right next to the track, come and see me if you´re visiting Green Park, I hope to be working turns 9/10/11.

The last of an era although I fully expect to be back next year.

Have fun everyone and see you there!
Old 8 Mar 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3215832)   #29
codesurge
Rookie

United States
codesurge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Yep, or on proceeding days during formation for practice or qualifying. Grid walk is packed!
How close can you get to the cars in the paddock warm up vs the grid walk?

Is the attraction of the grid walk being a chance to speak to the drivers (if they're willing to talk at all) before the race?
Old 8 Mar 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3216032)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hope all those attending the 12 have a good time. Was there last weekend for the Vintage SVRA event and would love to be back there again now! BTW there were RVs queued up for the 12 a week ago....

Enjoy.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3216176)   #31
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
How close can you get to the cars in the paddock warm up vs the grid walk?

Is the attraction of the grid walk being a chance to speak to the drivers (if they're willing to talk at all) before the race?
Elbow room.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3216252)   #32
codesurge
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
Elbow room.
Thanks. Any tips for the autograph session on Friday? Are there usually long lines that leave little time to get one or two sets of signatures?
Old 9 Mar 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3216361)   #33
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I would say skip autograph session. Cars are the stars and you'd be better off catching the driver of choice on the grid walk. Most will be there.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3216822)   #34
codesurge
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I would say skip autograph session. Cars are the stars and you'd be better off catching the driver of choice on the grid walk. Most will be there.
Got it. Thanks a bunch guys - think I'm as prepped as I can be for my first enduro ever.

I'm sure I've left stuff off the to-do or to-pack list, but that's to be learnt via the school of hard knocks.

Any other miscellaneous tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3217267)   #35
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
BTW there were RVs queued up for the 12 a week ago....

Enjoy.
I think the first person arrived in December,or January.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3217347)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think the first person arrived in December,or January.
I can think of worse places to spend the winter!
Old 14 Mar 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3218138)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Loudest place on earth. How do these folks get this drunk that fast? Truly impressive. I'm near the hairpin ****er in a red ram and the oddest camper you have ever seen. Drop by if I'm home.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3218318)   #38
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Will be sure to stop by again!
Old 14 Mar 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3218325)   #39
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Have fun everybody that's down at the race, it may be the end of an era but the 12 Hours will continue!
One of the most enjoyable races I've ever been to, hope it's a cracking race!
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:02 (Ref:3220967)   #40
codesurge
Rookie

United States
Just got back from Sebring last night. It was my first ALMS race and my word, can F1 learn a lot from the ALMS about making the races more fan-friendly and accessible.

It was such an open atmosphere there, from the paddock that was open to everyone (giving you the unique opportunity to get run over by an Audi R18 getting towed) to the drivers and team members who were more than happy to answer questions, sign autographs and take pictures. None of that usual F1 arrogance and “leave me alone” attitude to be found; the teams were all super patient and accommodating to the fans.

Having only been to F1 races before this, I found the level of access to be truly unprecedented and a breath of fresh air. It really makes you feel engaged with – even appreciated by – the sport.

But enough of my rambling. Here’s a neat shot I got trackside of McNish’s R18 whooshing its way to a second-place finish: http://i.imgur.com/DXb6L2V.jpg
Old 19 Mar 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3221276)   #41
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
So you ventured to the Green Park and Turn Ten! Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3221447)   #42
codesurge
Rookie

United States
Quote:
So you ventured to the Green Park and Turn Ten! Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.
Yep. The inner parts of Green Park were.. how should I describe it.. interesting, to say the least! Turn ten was awesome, especially at dusk with everyone enthralled by the view of crackling exhaust flames (in particular, the HPDs) and glowing brake disks.

I must say that this experience has made me a big fan of sportscar racing. Hopefully next year's merger will continue to grant the fans the same level of access that the ALMS did in previous years.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 02:07 (Ref:3221508)   #43
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
I must say that this experience has made me a big fan of sportscar racing. Hopefully next year's merger will continue to grant the fans the same level of access that the ALMS did in previous years.
Write letters, send emails! Demand that the fan experience and traditions be maintained and developed at other tracks.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 02:38 (Ref:3221512)   #44
codesurge
Rookie

United States
Quote:
Write letters, send emails! Demand that the fan experience and traditions be maintained and developed at other tracks.
Perhaps 10-tenths should organize some form of group petition so that our voices get heard en masse?
Old 10 Apr 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3231939)   #45
Octane
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just got back from Sebring last night. It was my first ALMS race and my word, can F1 learn a lot from the ALMS about making the races more fan-friendly and accessible.
I agree 100%!!

This was my first big enduro too (and my first trip to the states) I've been to the Australian F1GP and a bunch of V8 Supercar, Historic and motorcycle events in Australia, and even the low key club races here don't compare with the accessibility of the Sebring 12hour.

Photo's of my trip are here: (You won't need a FB account to view them)
Minneapolis: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3f62e779c8

Sebring 12hour Paddock & Pits: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=712bd0113a

Sebring 12hour Support Races (SVRA): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7725bc8fb0

Sebring 12hour Race: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0691fa17f9

Los Angeles: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bcefbaf666