Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Mar 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1854744)   #1
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Alfa Romeo 4T f1 engine

I read about the alfa romeo inline 4 turbo F1 engine on some site a while back but I can't find it anymore, seems to have been a big failure.

Anyone has more information, pictures?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1854857)   #2
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did they have an in-line 4 turbo ? I thought Alfa went the unconventional route of a 1500cc V8 for their turbo power back in the early 1980s. I used to have some fabulous posters on my bedroom wall of the Benetton-Alfas of Riccardo Patrese and Eddie Cheever... Benetton had them in most of their stores and I asked an assistant for one at the time. Beautiful livery... but not so effective. Riccardo Patrese had a spectacular crash on the front 'straight' at Monaco in one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAvszw3L4Nw

Last edited by davyboy; 1 Mar 2007 at 19:36.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1854873)   #3
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have photos of the first tests at the Paul Ricard, in the Ligier JS29 :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/ligieralfa.jpg

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/ligieralfa1.jpg

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/ligieralfa2.jpg
Old 1 Mar 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1854944)   #4
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great! I knew I had seen the pictures on your site before! I still don't understand it really why it was such a failure, I mean it's not like alfa didn't know what they were doing they had build a V8 turbo as well. Arnoux drove the ligier didn't he? And he slammed it, maybe he was just a bit frustrated that day .
Old 4 Mar 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1857940)   #5
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Alfa didn't want to be in F1 anymore, and when Arnoux opened his mouth about the lack of reliabilty of the engine they were more than happy to cancel the project. Even if they didn't, the engine wouldn't have been competitive, it was a 4T and V6 were needed at that time to find power with rpm because boost was limited (4 bar). The Alfa was an interesting 2 turbos engine, with Bosh Motronic. I remember that they tried smaller turbos without a real improvement, better response but less power. It was more compact and less heavy than the BMW, G.Piola in his drawings showed that very well. Talking about power, Arnoux praised the power of the Megatron fitted to replace the Alfa....